Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Sep 21, 2018 at 6:07 AM Post #10,906 of 18,752
Slowly working my way though all the quirks with poly... Has anyone encountered the issue when running in hotspot mode on android 9: namely that automatically switching to 4g mobile (since mobile tries to ensure availability of internet) ('hybrid mode' i guess) loses the ability of seeing poly in bubbleupnp??

Sep 21, 2018 at 9:38 AM Post #10,907 of 18,752
I keep popping into this thread hoping to hear about sound impressions and all I generally get is issues. For a device costing this much I would have assumed a lot of the kinks would've been worked out by now. I won't be buying it until I get a chance to try it for myself though. Until then I'll just try to get a raspberry pi and build a streamer for my MoJo.

About SQ, there is not much to say except that Poly allows Mojo to sound its absolute best. This is down to these 3 things, as far as I can gather:

The Poly has a very fast, and - I assume - electrically quiet processor and circuitry custom designed for audio.
The elimination of power supply noise (when running only on battery).
The elimination of any RFI from the USB cable, all add up to better sound.

So, a few small things that really do add up. Also, i’ve Mentioned Poly’s quirkiness before, but on iOS with GoFigure I use it daily at home (Roon), and at work (DLNA/SD/Tidal) without issue.

Sep 21, 2018 at 9:53 AM Post #10,908 of 18,752
I keep popping into this thread hoping to hear about sound impressions and all I generally get is issues. For a device costing this much I would have assumed a lot of the kinks would've been worked out by now. I won't be buying it until I get a chance to try it for myself though. Until then I'll just try to get a raspberry pi and build a streamer for my MoJo.

That'ss how I was using mojo till I got the Poly and am pleased with it. I think if its fit your particular use case and don't tinker with the settings too much then poly wont give much issues.

Before poly I was using raspberry pi connected to hifiberry digi+ (running volumio - very good) with optical connection to mojo, works very well just that its not portable.

Sep 21, 2018 at 10:24 AM Post #10,909 of 18,752
I know there may be impression reading the forum that using mojopoly is quite problematic but its probably due to the fact that people with problems share them here looking for advise, which is perfectly fine. I have almost zero problems with mojopoly. it connects very fast either to my home wifi or iphone hot spot or its own hotspot mode if required. it allows to play SD using Glider, stream services over airplay, in my case it can also act as power amp to run the high efficiency omega speakers to very satisfying levels or as playback devise for my car audio. And yes its the best sound mojo can offer, without the need to play with the various cables and sources. So imho for mojo and iphone users its spot on solution. I can hardly imagine going back to the times with no mojopoly... It still may be too massive brick for some, to use with headphones outside but still much more convenient than using bare mojo with dap or phone attached via cable....

Sep 21, 2018 at 12:03 PM Post #10,910 of 18,752
About SQ, there is not much to say except that Poly allows Mojo to sound its absolute best. This is down to these 3 things, as far as I can gather:

The Poly has a very fast, and - I assume - electrically quiet processor and circuitry custom designed for audio.
The elimination of power supply noise (when running only on battery).
The elimination of any RFI from the USB cable, all add up to better sound.

So, a few small things that really do add up. Also, i’ve Mentioned Poly’s quirkiness before, but on iOS with GoFigure I use it daily at home (Roon), and at work (DLNA/SD/Tidal) without issue.
It does indeed sound wonderful, but you must still be careful about RF interference esp from mobiles, which it is quite sensitive to.

Sep 21, 2018 at 1:08 PM Post #10,912 of 18,752
I just got my poly back after a loan, I’d been using hugo 2 and iPhone in work.
This week back on poly - it’s musicality exceeds hugo iPhone combo by huge measure.
The microdetail is amazing.
It’s unreal.
I use sd card mode/se846.
I believe it’s the lack of rf which allows the microdetail to show.
I’d recommend one to anyone who loves exploring the groove !

Sep 21, 2018 at 3:18 PM Post #10,915 of 18,752
after i used GoFigure to reset the Poly, it shortly froze thereafter when I tried to connect to my iPad hotspot (instead of my iPhone).

then I waited an eternity for the battery to die as GoFigure would no longer connect.

the red light finally went out.

then i tried to charge.

this is now an ex-Poly.

Sep 21, 2018 at 3:49 PM Post #10,916 of 18,752
after i used GoFigure to reset the Poly, it shortly froze thereafter when I tried to connect to my iPad hotspot (instead of my iPhone).

then I waited an eternity for the battery to die as GoFigure would no longer connect.

the red light finally went out.

then i tried to charge.

this is now an ex-Poly.

Oh no! It may still come back. I would unplug it for at least one minute. Then plug it in to charge (unattached to Mojo) on a known Good >1 amp charger for 6-8 hours and see what happens. Separately, make sure Mojo is fully charged.

Sep 22, 2018 at 4:38 PM Post #10,917 of 18,752
It certainly seems simple enough to replace the battery from the photos of mojo innards going about. The battery isn't soldered or glued in.
Apparently you'd need this:
https://www.hifipro.ca/product/chord-electronics-mojo-original-battery-replacement-accessories

Incidentally here's @Mojo ideas on the Mojo's battery:
"No the batteries are expected to last far longer than three years. The batteries in our designs are not subject to damaging deep discharge cycles or anything more than very light current demand .... Batteries used for power tools are quite a different matter, but in our units expect a life of greater than ten years. Mojo has a plug on it so it's just an easy replacement for a shop technician Hugo batteries will need soldering in place though but this is also a low skilled job which would be require rarely if ever."
John Franks.

After checking my options I ordered one and will replace it myself.

thanks for pointing me to one of the few places on earth that have it.

Kza

Sep 22, 2018 at 5:06 PM Post #10,918 of 18,752

That'ss how I was using mojo till I got the Poly and am pleased with it. I think if its fit your particular use case and don't tinker with the settings too much then poly wont give much issues.

Before poly I was using raspberry pi connected to hifiberry digi+ (running volumio - very good) with optical connection to mojo, works very well just that its not portable.

Yeah I keep coming back in hope. I think it's a shame it wasn't a smash hit. I would own a Poly now had it been. I would not even have thought about it.

I am keeping in touch though, through this thread. I keep wondering also about risking buying a Poly in hope. .. I wonder things like, 'is there a serial number range after which the Poly works well'. Should I go looking for one like that in a brick and mortar store?

I think the Poly is a fantastic concept, and actually more than I need. I would use it only for SD-card usage. .. In the mean-time, I bought a Sony ZX300 to use for portable use, and as a file source. I have not bought the connector yet to connect it to the Mojo. I have only just got going with the ZX300, with only six hours play time with it.

Apparently the ZX300 takes 200 hours to fully burn in, which is fair enough. It sounds OK now. However it does not match the Mojo. Mojo has more grip, more accuracy, cleaner punch, better details, and improved timing. (I really need to give the ZX300 time to burn in fully though to be fair.)

Mojo is unmatched. ........... I still like the ZX300 though.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2018 at 5:59 AM Post #10,920 of 18,752
I just got my poly back after a loan, I’d been using hugo 2 and iPhone in work.
This week back on poly - it’s musicality exceeds hugo iPhone combo by huge measure.

I was hoping you might be able to elaborate a little more on this...

I love my mojo, but it really irritates me that it doesn't sound nearly as good from my iPhone as it does from my PC. I've heard one or two people mention this as well. Both the PC and iPhone would be playing 'extreme' spotify files in this scenario. I'm hoping that a poly could close this gap for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back