Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Aug 17, 2018 at 4:21 PM Post #10,651 of 18,741
"hybrid mode" is just a WiFi configuration really. You can still control your Poly through bluetooth, use GoFigure QuickPlay, or use Glider or something similar to play off Poly's local SD card storage without any issues.
The reason why I implement it from time to time is to allow other people to quick connect to it and stream their content through AirPlay. It is like they don't even need to be technical enough. Just ask them to connect to Poly's Wifi. Modify the settings and they are in.

When I am after the best sound and fidelity I then switch to Poly's Airplane mode as others have suggested. Audio detail and spaciousness is at the highest level and well above all other modes.
Thank you for all these details. The only way to stream from an iPhone are Bluetooth and airplay or there is another solution?

Aug 17, 2018 at 4:35 PM Post #10,652 of 18,741
DADABB0E-CF8F-46F7-92EB-F3161AAD1DEC.png
Hi all, i tried glider and sesame and found sesame better to listen a SD card: less software shutdown, connect faster to poly, not have to wait when you change track or record.

Aug 17, 2018 at 4:46 PM Post #10,653 of 18,741
I will say first off that I love my Poly, but I have to admit to being a little confused. Let me explain.

I got some great news today: MPD now supports playback of wavpack DSD. I have two 400GB sd cards that are both nearly full. With wavpack DSD, I can cut that by about 40%.

Enter the problem: the Poly uses MPD version 0.20.00. The current release is MPD 0.20.21. Yes, that's right: The Poly is 21 versions behind being 'up to date' on MPD.

For me, the Poly is replacing a rig that does pretty much exactly what the Poly does. A Raspberry Pi 3 B+, a battery, and the Mojo strapped together. MPD, got it. Bluetooth, got it. DLNA library/renderer, got it. Best hardware, no. Always completely noise free, no. Elegant package, no. So the Poly seems to win. Where it fails in comparison is that when a development like today comes along, I could just SSH into the Raspberry Pi, update MPD, and be on my happy way.

From what I can tell, the Poly is a small computer running Linux. There are really just few simple parts to this: a battery, a processor, memory, storage for the OS, networking, USB bus. As I understand it, where these elements differ from the Raspberry Pi are in quality, not in type. What I really mean is, the Poly isn't made up of VooDoo, it is made up of the same things that your laptop is made of. When an individual program on your computer needs updating, you don't completely re-install the OS. What I want to update on the Poly is running isn't 'firmware', it is software. MPD is software, so why do I need a firmware update to update the software?

Why I am locked out of my Poly (no SSH access)?

Am I wrong about any of this?

Aug 17, 2018 at 5:03 PM Post #10,654 of 18,741
I will say first off that I love my Poly, but I have to admit to being a little confused. Let me explain.

I got some great news today: MPD now supports playback of wavpack DSD. I have two 400GB sd cards that are both nearly full. With wavpack DSD, I can cut that by about 40%.

Enter the problem: the Poly uses MPD version 0.20.00. The current release is MPD 0.20.21. Yes, that's right: The Poly is 21 versions behind being 'up to date' on MPD.

For me, the Poly is replacing a rig that does pretty much exactly what the Poly does. A Raspberry Pi 3 B+, a battery, and the Mojo strapped together. MPD, got it. Bluetooth, got it. DLNA library/renderer, got it. Best hardware, no. Always completely noise free, no. Elegant package, no. So the Poly seems to win. Where it fails in comparison is that when a development like today comes along, I could just SSH into the Raspberry Pi, update MPD, and be on my happy way.

From what I can tell, the Poly is a small computer running Linux. There are really just few simple parts to this: a battery, a processor, memory, storage for the OS, networking, USB bus. As I understand it, where these elements differ from the Raspberry Pi are in quality, not in type. What I really mean is, the Poly isn't made up of VooDoo, it is made up of the same things that your laptop is made of. When an individual program on your computer needs updating, you don't completely re-install the OS. What I want to update on the Poly is running isn't 'firmware', it is software. MPD is software, so why do I need a firmware update to update the software?

Why I am locked out of my Poly (no SSH access)?

Am I wrong about any of this?
Yes poly runs on linux. This link is several months out of date, so i think that things have moved on considerably now. http://www.map-pin.com/wiki/doku.php?id=chordpoly-rabbithole
Nevertheless it is honest to say that it is a linux box.

Aug 17, 2018 at 5:24 PM Post #10,655 of 18,741
Mashuto this is a personal reply so I hope you will treat it that way. As iterated before I don't actually work for Chord, I assist them on Head-Fi and have good access to key people so I can help and assist Head-Fi'ers if any problems arise.

We as a group (Head-fi'ers/Chord(Matt)/Me) have tried to help you with the problems you are experiencing, unfortunately we have not been able to resolve your ongoing issue... the only option is to take your Mojo/Poly set-up to your Chord Dealer. They will be able help & assist you, they will have the physical units to test/compare rather 'than us' just thinking what the problem may be.

So please don't ponder & consider things, go see your Dealer and get the problem resolved.

I think that several posters are trying to help here, but there is only so much that people can help you with, without hearing the actual noise that you hear.
None of us doubt that you have an issue, but it is difficult to help at the moment, in the virtual world :wink:

Understood guys. I was more trying to gauge if I was crazy for what I was hearing or if anyone else was hearing anything similar before attempting to go down the path of potentially replacing another unit for something that may be "normal" for the poly and just sort of the way things are. I went down this whole path with my battery draining issue, and it turns out, its kind of by design... as much as I dislike it. So, would rather not spend money and time going through that whole process if its just going to potentially lead to another unit that does the exact same thing. But at the very least, I guess I can reach out to the dealer and see what they say, but I wouldnt be surprised if they just tell me to contact chord support.

You know that feeling when your car is doing something out of the ordinary and you take it in to the dealer and miraculously it stops doing it and you look like a crazy person? I dont wanna be that crazy person, hence why I was discussing it here.

Aug 17, 2018 at 5:35 PM Post #10,656 of 18,741
Yes poly runs on linux. This link is several months out of date, so i think that things have moved on considerably now. http://www.map-pin.com/wiki/doku.php?id=chordpoly-rabbithole
Nevertheless it is honest to say that it is a linux box.

In that case, I would like to propose that Chord fork their software development. Let their software people continue work, but also let some volunteer developers have access their Polys and see what they can do. They have made a great product, let us who know how use it to it's full potential. I am a firm believer that 1,000 amateurs with certain knowledge can do work to equal or better a team of 20 'expert' developers.

Aug 17, 2018 at 5:57 PM Post #10,657 of 18,741
In that case, I would like to propose that Chord fork their software development. Let their software people continue work, but also let some volunteer developers have access their Polys and see what they can do. They have made a great product, let us who know how use it to it's full potential. I am a firm believer that 1,000 amateurs with certain knowledge can do work to equal or better a team of 20 'expert' developers.

I'll certainly make your points known to Matt on his return, seems like a good idea to me... Matt (Chord) has had very helpful feedback from this thread but seeks more information on problems that users are experiencing, some problems are being resolved within the thread, some aren't and that's why people's feedback is invaluable in resolving issues... with Head-Fi'ers assistance in the Go-Figure Beta-program Chord hope to resolve issues.

Aug 17, 2018 at 6:09 PM Post #10,658 of 18,741
You know that feeling when your car is doing something out of the ordinary and you take it in to the dealer and miraculously it stops doing it and you look like a crazy person? I dont wanna be that crazy person, hence why I was discussing it here.

no problem with talking about your issue with Poly, Chord will always try to find a solution... I kid you not Matt was emailing me last night at 11pm as he was leaving to go on holiday about your problem, he tried to replicate your issue on Poly demo-units with no luck, hence why I suggested the Dealer is your best bet for help... we'll always try to assist/help where we can.

Have a good one.... weekend that is.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2018 at 10:19 PM Post #10,659 of 18,741
no problem with talking about your issue with Poly, Chord will always try to find a solution... I kid you not Matt was emailing me last night at 11pm as he was leaving to go on holiday about your problem, he tried to replicate your issue on Poly demo-units with no luck, hence why I suggested the Dealer is your best bet for help... we'll always try to assist/help where we can.

Have a good one.... weekend that is.

I really do appreciate it, and I hope I'm not coming across as just trying to be difficult. If anything it comes from a place of being passionate about this product and wanting it to live up to expectations.

One thing I did discover just now is that I'm pretty sure it's something to do with the wifi radio on line, switching to airplane/Bluetooth mode through gofigure, and it's dead silent, no static.

Anyways, you enjoy your weekend too. I'll play around here and will contact my dealer should I feel like I'm ready to go that route.

Aug 17, 2018 at 11:59 PM Post #10,660 of 18,741
Understood guys. I was more trying to gauge if I was crazy for what I was hearing or if anyone else was hearing anything similar before attempting to go down the path of potentially replacing another unit for something that may be "normal" for the poly and just sort of the way things are. I went down this whole path with my battery draining issue, and it turns out, its kind of by design... as much as I dislike it. So, would rather not spend money and time going through that whole process if its just going to potentially lead to another unit that does the exact same thing. But at the very least, I guess I can reach out to the dealer and see what they say, but I wouldnt be surprised if they just tell me to contact chord support.

I totally get it, and the car analogy is good, as I have had a few of those.

But, regarding Poly (and I have a sense of what you a referring to...a kind of electrical sound when controls are being accessed...which I have heard with other equipment), I have not heard this using any headphone, including Focal Elex cranked to a volume accidentally where I thought I might have blown something (but did not). I think you either have superior hearing or headphones (iems?) or some sort of defect in Mojo/Poly or elsewhere.

Good luck!

Aug 18, 2018 at 12:08 AM Post #10,661 of 18,741
I have a Pixel 2 (not XL) running Android 9 that can see and connect to my Mojopoly but then intermittently drops and reconnects. I don't normally use Bluetooth to play music and tried this for the sole purpose of responding to your post, so I can't say if this is a recent phenomenon.
Thank you for trying, I don't normally either, but I'm one of those people, if it is meant to have a function, I want it to be working. I have been in a position where I needed to listen to something via bluetooth and I couldn't get it to work with the Pixel 2 XL but I could with my OnePlus 3.

I've owned the Mojo since it came out and i'm very happy with it. I use an android phone and was thinking of buying a poly, but;
From all I've read so far the poly is a work in progress, specially for android users.
Need an honest opinion as to if I should go ahead, hold off or look else where, for another .
Spending close to 1k I expect a smooth experience and I'm not super tech savy which is what it seems like you need to be to get the thing running properly.
Thanks a bunch, any and all advise is much appreciated.

I was in that very same boat until last weekend having held off since October 2017 and I love it.... Soundwise

But knowing what I know and after one week of use and solely used in house until yesterday evening and especially as an Android user, my honest opinion would be to wait until the official GoFigure Android app has been released.
I have been one of those in the past to root my phones and I also tend to be that person who signs up for Beta trials of the Android OS Beta's so I am used to the 'experimenting'.
If you don't mind the occasional connection issue, which if I am being honest, are probably more of my own doing ie jumping between modes and or trying to switch between BubbleUPNP, M.A.L.P, ROON, Hotspot Mode, Bluetooth (you get my drift), more than an issue with the Poly.
When left in WiFi mode (with phone in hotspot mode) and using the one app, no problems.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2018 at 5:33 AM Post #10,664 of 18,741
I just bought a Poly and listening to music via loudspeakers and headphones...
Wow! just wow! screw**** SO MUSICAL! Significant upgrade to my Mojo input and SQ!

Thank you Chord Guys and Rob Watts!!!
What were you feeding Mojo before? Poly won't have any bearing on sound quality (bar removing possible RF interference from a close phone). Data is data.

Aug 18, 2018 at 5:43 AM Post #10,665 of 18,741
What were you feeding Mojo before? Poly won't have any bearing on sound quality (bar removing possible RF interference from a close phone). Data is data.
I thought too data is data, however if you connect to the mojo an iPhone or an ak sp1000 as source to listen the same track the result is absolutely not the same and the AK is much better for me. So it is possible the source even data is data may change the final result. Why? No idea

Users who are viewing this thread

Back