1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by Matt Bartlett, Jan 5, 2017.
First

Back
514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523
525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534
Next

Last
  1. Signal2Noise
    Yup, I've noticed this as well on the new Poly. It seems I need to power off/on MojoPoly after switching config at the Network Mode step. I can't easily go from Access Point to MPD/DLNA with subsequent Config Pin pushes.

However the Power On issue is completely resolved now with new Poly so I'm happy with that. Poly has not seen the inside of a drawer since being delivered a couple days ago.

Thanks for the reply Joe. Too bad it couldn't be an optional setting.

2. KESM
    Do what you will was my first point. I’m on tap should Chord make a single unit MOJOPOLY2. Just wishfully thinking out loud:)

I’m led by the fact that I initially stopped carrying the MOJO because of the CCK cable (tethering). It was a major minus for portability because it’s functionally between devices was cumbersome & you couldn’t charge the phone while streaming. So...when news of the POLY came along I’d thought that would be a real solution. So I bought into that possibility. Well...the verdict is still out on that for me. It simply doesn’t seem like a fully realized HI RES streaming accessory for your phone....whereby ease of use & simplicity...can be touted as its main draw.

I only care about the user experience (& foremost the music)...& I’ve paid more attention to troubleshooting this device (than I care to) vs. listening to music on this device. It hasn’t been a convenient portable source for daily carry. That conclusion isn’t drawn by a lack of faith...but by this devices functionality which influences my behavioral use. I don’t carry this daily. It should be a natural, effortless integration with a phone...& yes...the expectation is flawless operation (whether realized or not). Especially at this price point (>1300.00 USD).

I praise products based on my experience with them & denote problems when I experience them (balanced)...would be remiss not to do so...& if helps someone...great...if not...that’s ok too. The beauty...this is a forum...I encourage all opinions. I want to make it clear that I did not say to wait or not to buy this device. It’s up to the individual. I only expressed what ‘I’ would do now...based on my user experience. But hey...even that’s slightly irrelevant now...since I already own it. Just sharing some level of buyers remorse even though I still believe in the potential of this product. A 1st of its kind...but why stop there?

The op asked the question about whether to purchase or wait....from users on this forum. I don’t think it was meant to imply anything...likely just seeking ownership feedback.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
    rkw, FictionMan and NaiveSound like this.
  3. NaiveSound
    :fingers_crossed:

4. Gr8h8m
    • Pros: Sublime mobile audio - but you'll be familiar with that from using Mojo.
    • Untethered
    • Carrying around (potentially) limitless Gigs of Hi-def audio without dealing with the limitations of your phone's storage.
    • Adaptable - Roon / Airplay / DLNA / MPD etc etc
    • Cons: Expensive
    • The need for it and eg your phone to be connected to a Wi-Fi network to play back music from internal SD storage. Unnecessary and inefficient battery drain for Poly and your phone. No bluetooth control.
    • The user experience leaves something to be desired - right now its very far from being a user friendly consumer device that I'd recommend to my wife or Dad, for instance. Be prepared to get your hands dirty!
    The last 2 cons should be mitigated (in the case of Bluetooth control, somewhat) by the forthcoming and long overdue release of GoFigure. As already mentioned it really is the last piece of the jigsaw - and if it works as promised then it'll go a long way towards making Poly something I'd wholeheartedly recommend to a complete stranger - right here right now, as much as I love it, I'd say it's too unfriendly a device for mass consumption.

Gibson59 likes this.
  5. Mojo ideas
    Remember Poly has its own WiFi hotspot your phone only needs to be connected to that to get full control of play back and visuals over a Poly’s SD card via your phone
    Also if you use Poly in a simple way once set up it’s not complicated to use at all. The Wi Fi landscape is complex but you don’t have to go everywhere on the map unless you want too. Then Poly has the power to take you Nothing else can do thIs.
    As for the price it’s a third of the price and weight of major companies offering but they can’t do what Poly can or have anything like the outright audio performance of Poly.

Chip B and Peter Hyatt like this.
  6. Gr8h8m
    I appreciate what you're saying John, but having Wi-Fi on all the time on my phone while out and about just uses up battery power unnecessarily - connnecting / disconnecting to Poly's hotspot all the time is such a faff. Anyways, its all academic as thankfully Bluetooth/Airplane mode with GoFigure will solve this!

Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
    NaiveSound likes this.
  7. etnt
    The GoFigure app should be released this week. Hope there are no further delays.

8. EarDrumExplode
    A little courious but what do the new s/n’s for the updated poly’s start with? Not sure if it was mentioned on the thread (hard to keep up with all these posts)

NaiveSound likes this.
  9. BryanNguyen
    Here are a couple of real world usage scenarios that we the user face. Somethig for chord to think of for future firmware fix or new product design.
    1. Using the phone hotspot: this is all good and well until you travel or your carrier does not support hotspot. This render poly usless.
    2. Using the poly’s wifi: you can’t use any other wifi network for the phone. And anybody can connect to poly’s network, this gliche the poly.

In my case, i have to carry around a extra iphone 5C for the control, when going out.

Couple of suggestions:

- make bluetooth control more versatile.
    - airplane mode/ secured wifi network for poly
    - poly can connect to wifi network with authentication page.

Just my 2 cents

Gr8h8m and NaiveSound like this.
  10. paulgc
    Approx. 6000

11. Mojo ideas
    I’d like you to try to measure the actual timed difference before your phone shuts down due to a flat battery as my RF design teams consultants tell me the power usage differential for a phone’s WiFi on or off is really quite marginal.

12. NaiveSound
    The thing is while you are connected to Poly's wifi you can't use your phone on other wifi networks to browse ect. You are only connected to Poly ...

13. Mojo ideas
    I believe than you can still use Polys own hot spot WiFi SD control when traveling. If not it’s time to think about your service provider or do you never wish to email or Skipe or check the weather when your traveling abroad

14. Mojo ideas
    You can flick between them. While all the times still listening to your SD card playing on Poly, it continues to play

Peter Hyatt likes this.
  15. jarnopp
    My original Poly was S/N P0217xx and the replacement is P0259xx.

First

Back
514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523
525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534
Next

Last