1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by Matt Bartlett, Jan 5, 2017.
First

Back
507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516
518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527
Next

Last
  1. Bengkia369
    The Poly I understand there is firmware update for it.
    What about Mojo?!

2. NaiveSound
    Mojo is mojo

Amberlamps likes this.
  3. jarnopp
    There are no firmware updates for Mojo because all the code is on the FPGA, and the only way to update that would be to ship back to Chord to open and connect to the FPGA. I think there is only one revision since Mojo’s launch, which provides auto-shut-off on non-USB sources when no signal is detected. Not sure if any other changes.

4. Redtigga
    Daft question time.

I have just moved back to iOS after a very pleasant experimentation with Android (ultimately it was the eco system not the phone that drew me back).

Can I just clarify that in ios, the best alternatives for my specific use cases are;

1. For items on poly SD card use the poly hot spot mode and glider as illustrated by Jeremy
    2. For tidal 'hi-res' use airplay

Make sense?

5. ZappaMan
    1. For me, Depends if your on a safe WiFi network, then, have poly connect to it, and use your phone - as normal - no funny business. IF not on WiFi, use your phones hotspot, as poly has security concerns being an open WiFi access point.
    2. Some people use the free app AK Connect, to use poly as a network renderer/speaker via WiFi, rather than through air play. I haven’t checked to see if I can’t notice any musical difference tho. Suppose you can use roon as well.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
  6. g5virus
    Does your case fit well?

7. fordski
    I asked a similar question awhile back as I am also moving back to iOS after a 3 year experiment with Android. I was never going to convince my wife to transfer to Android and she usually gets my hand me down phones so I'm back to iOS. My new phone is getting set up tomorrow.

Re your question:

1. I too was looking at Jeremy's method with poly hot spot and some responded they use iPhone hot spot while others used poly hot spot as outlined in Jeremy's hybrid method. I've tried both with my wife's iPhone and they seem to work equally well.

2. I plan to use Tidal with airplay as I typically use tidal offline files and to my knowledge the tidal app with airplay is the only way (other than Bluetooth) to stream tidal offline music to poly on iOS.

Enjoy your new phone.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
  8. JeremyLaurenson
    Jeremy's Travel Odyssey Part II:

So, I travel a lot and a significant amount of it is International. After a day here in Prague I have some feedback on just how portable MojoPoly is:

As a roaming international phone, my iPhoneX has no hotspot internationally.
    As a roaming phone, cellular Data charges are high.
    IMG_1618.PNG
    ..and so I must use WiFi for data...
    Wifi networks I am able to use such as hotel and such require me to log in. (Which can not be done from Poly)

So I can not get Poly to work in anything other than hotspot mode.
    Even with my little hybrid trick I would be racking up all kinds of costs in the background as my phone got email and whatnot.

So.... Poly is no good internationally as she sits today.

I may need to get a WISP router which connects to hotspots and makes its own network... (WISP router)

9. smaragd
    You might want to consider renting a local WiFi egg... or like you said buy a portable router and get local prepaid data SIM cards that are way cheaper than roaming fees ...

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=prepaid+wifi+router+prague&t=iphone&ia=web

10. JeremyLaurenson
    F0ADB834-F692-442A-92B8-DD293617C0E2.jpeg I will likely use one of these....

11. AudioBear
    I feel your pain. I have had the same experience on the one international trip I took with Poly (other than Mexico and Canada where my cell carrier works for a nominal daily charge). I use Poly in the fall back mode by playing my own music from the mSD card. I have enough there to last for a trip. Of course this got me to thinking I would be just as well off with a new DAP for the same or less money than Mojo/Poly. Except of course the SQ is very good from Mojo/Poly. @JeremyLaurenson can't you just use your stored music?

12. smaragd
    Wouldn’t this be limited to stationary use only?
    Not familiar with that model... I usually bring a mobile battery powered WiFi egg and buy a local prepaid data sim so I can have my WiFi everywhere and even hide the SSID...

0A5CA89E-1E82-4924-BE9A-F82A140297D5.jpeg

13. JeremyLaurenson
  14. StevieDvd
    I have one of these and during the time when Poly was problematic with either Phone hot-spot or Poly hot-spot I found this little unit was a good solution and a power bank as well as a DLNA server too.

15. Amberlamps
    I am sure it says in Polys instruction postit, that Poly will not use your data when using your phones hotspot.

I maybe wrong but I am sure I read that in the manual when I first got Poly ? regardless, you just got raped for $200, so how’s Prague ?

First

Back
507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516
518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527
Next

Last