1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by Matt Bartlett, Jan 5, 2017.
First

Back
504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513
515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524
Next

Last
  1. etnt
    11.3 is coming. Right now iOS is on 11.2.6.

2. EarDrumExplode
    Do the new poly’s click when they power on?

3. Gr8h8m
    Airplay by definition is restricted to 16bit/44.1khz. DLNA on Poly can't handle DSD natively (currently) - but MPD can fwiw.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
    smaragd likes this.
  4. ZappaMan
    this may well be one of my worst posts, but hey ho, as i'm new to audio, i'm not too sure.

i see people posting, saying, you should improve your source. i've always been using the iphone to mojo direct or via poly.
    I also listen on my pc which has an asus essence stx II sound card, with built in headphone amp, which is really really good in my opinion.

anyway, when i listen with poly, poly is then the source ? and its receiving the data via glider for example. so, then what is glider, is it the source, or is the underlying iphone the source?

What i'm getting too is, if i had a fancier source, connected to mojo, and sending the flac files to poly, would it sound better, or is poly acting as a kind of gateway, and I don't need to worry about the source?

5. jarnopp
    Poly is "A" source to Mojo, whether you are playing from its SD card or from files streamed to it, and it matters, but won't make other upstream sources better. Ahead of Poly, you may have an iPhone with local music, music server, a streaming service, etc. Those sources will also matter. The important thing when using Poly is that the source you use is streaming high quality files (as high res as possible, but lossless CD quality is fine). What you don't have to worry about as much is RFI from cables. An improvement to Airplay would be a better protocol, like Roon's RAAT. but, the main thing will be using the best files you can get. Hope that helps.

headmanPL and ZappaMan like this.
  6. ZappaMan
    thanks

7. Gr8h8m
    You can create and save MPD playlists directly to Poly within the M.A.L.P MPD Android client. It's super easy!

8. paulgc
    Running iOS 11.3 beta version something. Poly is fine.

9. etnt
    Meant to answer Phuca that the next impending major update is 11.3 and not 12 which is still months away.

10. tonehk
    thanks for checking. i was troubleshooting this with chord support, they can play DSD native via upnp in audirvana, and they cannot replicate my problem. i'm thinking the DSD tick in the poly settings is not working as it should.

11. tonehk
    he is referring to "other" mode in poly settings, which handles airplay and upnp. if you tick "DSD" and "other" you should be able to playback DSD natively. Chord support was able to but i'm unable to.

12. smaragd
    I've checked again in Audirvana settings... I have to limit the sample rate to max 192kHz if I want to play DSD over PCM, so it's never streaming natively but via DoP. In this mode I can play DSD files in Audirvana but they will be carried as a hires PCM stream.
    Setting to 348kHz didn't play at all.

Screen Shot 2018-03-16 at 15.01.35.png

As for the filter settings Sox and Power of 2 oversampling gave me the best sound, but this may vary on personal preference and gear used.

Screen Shot 2018-03-16 at 15.02.49.png

I also understood that ticking "DSD" in the Poly settings only refers to Roon mode...
    Not the "other" DLNA and MPD mode... that said, I have ticked it anyway ...
    I play DSD files natively from Glider mSD card to Poly...
    Playing via Audirvana with Poly's uPNP renderer the DSD files will be carried as hires PCM (DoP).

Edited to correct the term DSD over PCM (DoP)

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
  13. x RELIC x Contributor
    Just chiming in to clarify that DoP is not in any way converting DSD to PCM.

D
    SD over PCM (DoP) was invented as a way to trick USB to transmit DSD without the need for drivers, otherwise the USB interface wouldn’t recognize the DSD bitstream as an audio format like it does with PCM. When the DoP signal is recognized in the receiving DAC then the DSD data is extracted from the PCM container exactly as if it were ‘native’ bit for bit and is indistinguishable from the original DSD data. DoP can be used with optical and coaxial as well, but it was initially created to get around old USB audio standard limitations without drivers.

If you can not play DSD and have to convert to PCM (as it seems in your post) then you are just doing DSD to PCM conversion, not DoP.

14. smaragd
    Thanks for the clarification :wink:
    I understood from Damien that in fact the process in Audirvana is DoP and not "conversion"... my bad for calling it conversion.

x RELIC x likes this.
  15. tonehk
    thanks for checking. my settings looks like yours. when i spoke to chord support, his settings showed DSD as green not grey. anyway, at least i'm not going crazy as mine is not only one showing grey.
    i don't think there was any formal documentation what the DSD click was for. i assumed it applied to other. anyway, i'll continue to check with support to see whether this can be fixed.

First

Back
504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513
515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524
Next

Last