Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Nov 28, 2017 at 9:14 AM Post #4,021 of 18,750
I have the sd card in and saved the settings so Poly hotspot is always on.
In my settings I have mpd checked and have my IPhone SSID in managed list.

I start up when I get on my train (commute is short-drive, train, tube and short-walk).
When I switch on I have to use the config pin for around 5 secs, then I wait for the Poly to appear on my iPhone wifi list, connecting when it appears.

I then run 8player and that works until I arrive at my work desk and stop everything. it's been working fine like that for weeks - only issues are with some of the software apps.

As I am in the UK I may have a recent model (or perhaps one of the first) but difficult to work that out - I can see the firmware version on my config page as 1.04. Can anyone else see the version?

I tried airplay on the iPhone with Deezer & Spotify and that worked OK but a hassle to keep switching modes hence my looking for the Chord app asap.

Purchased a pair of Oppo PM-3 for commute (which arrived yesterday and picked them up this morning from the post office) - setup Poly as above and still working. Would not have gone for these if I had not been confident in getting the app I have waited for to have my ideal commute setup.

Nov 28, 2017 at 9:19 AM Post #4,022 of 18,750
Is this true? (I have yet to receive my Poly because the case was delayed.) When in hotspot mode, you have to forgo all internet access on phone? I recall this not being the case-- I will be using my iPhone with AirPlay to stream to Poly. God I hope this isn't true, this would make me return my Poly.
If you use Poly as a hotspot Wi-Fi hub then yes. If you use your phone as wifi-hub then no.

When the app comes out you will only need Bluetooth the control Poly and use internal sdcard as a mobile source. And of course Wi-Fi for retrieving music stream for other device from a network.

Nov 28, 2017 at 9:28 AM Post #4,023 of 18,750
@John @Matt, just received Chord’s newsletter with email that the Poly is now available for purchase. At the bottom there is mention of a free case with every purchase (except through amazon). I paid full price for my case when I bought the Poly 2 weeks ago in Hong Kong where I reside... can you clarify the “every purchase of Poly includes a free case worth £79” please?
Saw the same ad. Bit of an insult to injury.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2017 at 9:39 AM Post #4,024 of 18,750
Why are they pushing a product that’s not done??!

Because a lot of the features do work or will be fixed, just like any other modern device released nowadays.
There are very few of any devices that are released fully working and capable of doing what they are advertised to do. Look at Fiio and Cayin, prob in my experience the worst culprits on these forums for releasing shoddy hardware that never gets fixed no matter how many firmware upgrades.

Smartphones, consoles, daps and even TV’s are all released in an unfinished state with constant upgrades required.

Nov 28, 2017 at 10:03 AM Post #4,025 of 18,750
Because a lot of the features do work or will be fixed, just like any other modern device released nowadays.
There are very few of any devices that are released fully working and capable of doing what they are advertised to do. Look at Fiio and Cayin, prob in my experience the worst culprits on these forums for releasing shoddy hardware that never gets fixed no matter how many firmware upgrades.

Smartphones, consoles, daps and even TV’s are all released in an unfinished state with constant upgrades required.

Ahhh I think you are making a big leap of faith and making analogies that have no equivalence. I don’t call this “most features working” even the one that does, namely Roon, which constantly drops out. Something as simple as charging the device turns out to be complicated.

Hopefully Chord will fix all but right now I have seen nothing from the the “any day now update”

I will give them a little longer but no much.

Nov 28, 2017 at 10:07 AM Post #4,026 of 18,750

unacceptable. Id get a return immediately

Nov 28, 2017 at 10:30 AM Post #4,027 of 18,750
If you use Poly as a hotspot Wi-Fi hub then yes. If you use your phone as wifi-hub then no.

When the app comes out you will only need Bluetooth the control Poly and use internal sdcard as a mobile source. And of course Wi-Fi for retrieving music stream for other device from a network.

Exactly.

FYI, I have tested this (iPhone 6S) and there are 2 ways to currently play it on the go.
1) You can put Poly in its own hot spot mode (log in and check the "keep in hot spot mode" box and then you can play Tidal from your phone and use airplay to connect to Poly. In this mode, you need to keep Tidal in online mode so that it connects to the "internet" (but really it's your Poly and there is no internet connection, so no data used). You cannot use the internet on your phone in this mode. But, it seems like this would be ideal for a wifi only iPad with downloaded Tidal on it.
2) You can put your phone in hot spot mode and, if you've already registered Poly on your phone's hotspot, it will connect. I had to walk away from my house to get off my home wifi network, and also had to reboot Mojo/Poly to get it to reconnect to the hot spot, but then it played fine. I then put Tidal into offline mode, and it still played. I think this is safer, to ensure you aren't using data streaming Tidal that you already have on your phone. This, you would not be able to do with a wifi only iPad, but you could maybe use the iPad and Poly on the iPhone hotspot network and still not use data (not sure)?

#2 seems good for when you have a cell connection. #1 would work when you don't have a connection, like on an airplane.

This is a new product and I think people are being too hard on Chord while they are making this work. Overall messaging and communication? D- but getting much better. Product so far? B. My expectation with the updates and app, though, is A+.

Nov 28, 2017 at 10:42 AM Post #4,029 of 18,750
Ahhh I think you are making a big leap of faith and making analogies that have no equivalence. I don’t call this “most features working” even the one that does, namely Roon, which constantly drops out. Something as simple as charging the device turns out to be complicated.

Hopefully Chord will fix all but right now I have seen nothing from the the “any day now update”

I will give them a little longer but no much.

Seems some have issues that others don't.

I've had no issues charging or connecting to hotspot or home wifi, I'm sure there are plenty of others who are not having issues either.

If my unit was having the charging issues and I was using a normal charger (which I am) then I would be sending back as faulty.

Nov 28, 2017 at 10:45 AM Post #4,030 of 18,750
unacceptable. Id get a return immediately

That's my point really.

I had a Fiio X7 and a Cayin I5, both had terrible issues streaming over wifi, drop-outs, crackling and various other issues. firmware upgrades came and went so after a few months they were returned for full refunds as they were not fit for the job they were advertised to do.

Same applies to the Poly, if people are not happy with the unit and it'snot performing as advertised then return for a refund or replacement - Simple.

Nov 28, 2017 at 10:52 AM Post #4,031 of 18,750
Seems some have issues that others don't.

I've had no issues charging or connecting to hotspot or home wifi, I'm sure there are plenty of others who are not having issues either.

If my unit was having the charging issues and I was using a normal charger (which I am) then I would be sending back as faulty.

Your comment makes it seems “some” have issues. Many more than “some”.

Plus the devices you list as having comparable problems upon release, would be considered catastrophic disasters if they were released with the issues “most” of us are experiencing with the Poly.

Whatever. I will remain cautiously optimistic and worst case scenario if the problems aren’t fixed since I will be outside my return window when they supposedly will be fixed (before Christmas) will find a person that likes to fidget to sell it to

Nov 28, 2017 at 10:59 AM Post #4,033 of 18,750
That's my point really.

I had a Fiio X7 and a Cayin I5, both had terrible issues streaming over wifi, drop-outs, crackling and various other issues. firmware upgrades came and went so after a few months they were returned for full refunds as they were not fit for the job they were advertised to do.

Same applies to the Poly, if people are not happy with the unit and it'snot performing as advertised then return for a refund or replacement - Simple.

I would have no issue if “after a few months” moon audio or Chord agreed to refund me if they can’t get their product to work. I doubt one could get a refund after a few months though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back