Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Jan 5, 2017 at 9:11 PM Post #16 of 18,671
I can't use my source, iPhone, to play whatever content is on it via the Poly?

I have to store music on an SD card?!

I change my mobile library via offline Tidal content.

Poly is Dead On Arrival.

Jan 5, 2017 at 9:14 PM Post #20 of 18,671
  This looks very interesting! My mojo just arrived today and my primary transport to it was going to be DLNA from bubbleupnp.

a few thoughts on the Poly

-Will the poly's usb charging port also be usable as a source input or does the Poly need disconnected if you want to physically connect a DAP/Phone/PC?
-Surprised at only 2.4ghz wifi, this is a very congested spectrum and 2.4/5 ghz a/b/g/n/ac chips are a standard for any new wifi product release.
-If using WiFi to connect from phone/pc/whatever to the Poly, there will be challenges at  enterprise wireless deployments, hotels, airports. Most of these wireless implementations use client isolation so one WiFi client cannot directly communicate with another.
-If it supports an AdHoc or WiFi direct type of a connection then this may cause internet/network reachability issues from the phone/pc
-Will it's firmware be upgradable ? (e.g. add Chromecast support, bluetooth aptx, bug fixes?) (WiFi drivers are notoriously buggy and a very fast changing technology)
-It looks like it supports higher DSD rates than the mojo,  future proofing?
-Does it use the usb or toslink as transport to the mojo?

would love to hear more!

Regarding wifi, I think this is how Poly is designed (at least this is how I would do it):

Smartphone to Poly - Bluetooth so that your phone can still be connected to the internet

Poly for your home network - wifi so any device on your home network can connect to Poly

Jan 5, 2017 at 9:16 PM Post #23 of 18,671

It is a DLNA device so it will only play music that is stored locally on the Poly module. Your smartphone/tablet just acts as the controls and UI. There are numerous DLNA capable apps - some free (AK Connect) others for a few dollars.

If you stream music like Spotify or Tidal, Poly can connect via Bluetooth or Airplay.

So you are saying it is a DMR for the locally stored SD hosted content?  I'm not sure how that would work from a DMC or DMS, unless the Poly is also a DMS, but that would be odd.

I would hope it would be a DMR for remote DMS's.

Jan 5, 2017 at 9:19 PM Post #24 of 18,671

Regarding wifi, I think this is how Poly is designed (at least this is how I would do it):

Smartphone to Poly - Bluetooth so that your phone can still be connected to the internet

Poly for your home network - wifi so any device on your home network can connect to Poly

I thought Bluetooth wasn't capable of supporting lossless rates. Or is that when only used as a transport to headphones/speakers?

Jan 5, 2017 at 9:23 PM Post #28 of 18,671

So you are saying it is a DMR for the locally stored SD hosted content?  I'm not sure how that would work from a DMC or DMS, unless the Poly is also a DMS, but that would be odd.

I would hope it would be a DMR for remote DMS's.

I read the description to mean DMS + DMR, but that's just my interpretation.

Edit- re-read and I think it is both DMS and DMR

Jan 5, 2017 at 9:27 PM Post #30 of 18,671
For that price it should have had a built-in Screen for standalone usage. And the mojo (which is GBP 400 in the uk) Sells for 550 in the US. So I'm guessing this thing will be priced around $700 or 650 at best. This price gets you the Onkyo DP-X1. Which you can connect to the mojo and use as a standalone DAP as well. 

I'd rather use the OTG Cable, and Get a phone which supports a micro SD card. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back