Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Aug 19, 2017 at 8:01 PM Post #1,921 of 18,752
We've repeatedly tested this connecting and disconnecting the connection between the two units thousands of times. It's is very stable having two extremely strong carbon reenforced locating bosses that fit into the optical and minijack connectors this stabilises the two USB connectors and Poly also cups the Mojo further enhancing the connection

That's encouraging.

Sorry, I am just very tired today.

Aug 19, 2017 at 10:10 PM Post #1,922 of 18,752
Alright everyone, I need to apologize, I stopped following this thread long ago as I had sort of ruled out the poly, but I find myself very very interested again. I know there have been delays, but I also read that there have been some changes, updates, additions, etc. This is a rather large thread, and I dont really have the time to sort through it all. So can anyone get me up to speed on whats changed or what has been announced/added, etc?

Has there been any more information put out about connection options and control options? I realize that if I am at home on wifi, the poly will be on the same network. But if I am out and a bout or at a place where I am not connected to wifi, how do I connect to it? bluetooth or some kind of direct wifi connection? Does that give me all the same control? If I want to stream spotify from my phone, again with bluetooth, or ideally wifi? What about usage on a plane where my phone is in airplane mode?

Anyways, I will be following this from now on as I definitely am very interested again in picking one of these up, just wanted to clarify whats been added and a few connection options. Thanks!

Aug 20, 2017 at 3:11 AM Post #1,923 of 18,752
[QUOTE="mashuto, post: 13670297, member: 459695]Has there been any more information put out about connection options and control options? I realize that if I am at home on wifi, the poly will be on the same network. But if I am out and a bout or at a place where I am not connected to wifi, how do I connect to it? bluetooth or some kind of direct wifi connection? Does that give me all the same control? If I want to stream spotify from my phone, again with bluetooth, or ideally wifi? What about usage on a plane where my phone is in airplane mode[/QUOTE]

I asked a similar question in this post

I got a response from John: "...we have written a huge amount of addition software that allows for Poly to act as it's own WiFi hub if required so control of the SD in poly can be achieved through several methods over WiFi and the new software also allows for control of the SD over Bluetooth too inthe event that you aren't allowed to use WiFi say on certain flights."

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2017 at 10:59 AM Post #1,924 of 18,752
[QUOTE="mashuto, post: 13670297, member: 459695]Has there been any more information put out about connection options and control options? I realize that if I am at home on wifi, the poly will be on the same network. But if I am out and a bout or at a place where I am not connected to wifi, how do I connect to it? bluetooth or some kind of direct wifi connection? Does that give me all the same control? If I want to stream spotify from my phone, again with bluetooth, or ideally wifi? What about usage on a plane where my phone is in airplane mode

I asked a similar question in this post

I got a response from John: "...we have written a huge amount of addition software that allows for Poly to act as it's own WiFi hub if required so control of the SD in poly can be achieved through several methods over WiFi and the new software also allows for control of the SD over Bluetooth too inthe event that you aren't allowed to use WiFi say on certain flights."[/QUOTE]

Cool, thanks! Now, do you know if I was to use the Poly as a wifi hub, and connect via wifi from my phone, would that kill my data connection on my phone? Because I know that usually if I am on wifi on my phone, my phone expects the wifi to provide the data and will no longer use mobile radio.

Aug 21, 2017 at 6:17 AM Post #1,926 of 18,752
Frustrating indeed. It's some consolation that in 2 or 3 months the delay will be forgotten and the whole focus will be on the quality and functionality of the product. As I own a Mojo I have arranged to borrow a dem Poly (when available) from my local dealer to try in my main system although I'd much prefer a desktop version (with internal HDD please) to complement my 2Qute. Does the Poly give both units 'intelligent charging', if so, how does this work? If not, am I better to use a timer to give maximum battery life? Apologies if this has been covered earlier. Finally can I say how much I appreciate a CEO taking the time to communicate with their customers in this way (even if it's bad news!).
I didn't get a reply to the charging question, possibly because it coincided with the anouncements on the revised launch date and the enhancements competition. Colin Pratt said in the Moon Audio LAAS video that Poly had 'intelligent charging'. Will this be the same as Hugo2 where after 24hours plugged in it goes into automatic desktop mode and so giving the battery almost unlimited life? This will be great for use in the main system thus extending the appeal of Poly. Also can JF give an unequivocal guarantee that the SMPS for the Poly will not have a negative impact on the other parts of the system? If JF does not respond are we to assume that the charging method might be one of the enhancements for the competition lists?

In the hiatus until the launch perhaps JF might like to speculate wheter MojoPoly (new board game?) ought to outperfom my Auralic Aries Mini (with SSD HDD and LPS) into my 2Qute (using the Mini as wireless server for MojoPoly)?

Aug 21, 2017 at 7:36 AM Post #1,927 of 18,752
I didn't get a reply to the charging question, possibly because it coincided with the anouncements on the revised launch date and the enhancements competition. Colin Pratt said in the Moon Audio LAAS video that Poly had 'intelligent charging'. Will this be the same as Hugo2 where after 24hours plugged in it goes into automatic desktop mode and so giving the battery almost unlimited life? This will be great for use in the main system thus extending the appeal of Poly. Also can JF give an unequivocal guarantee that the SMPS for the Poly will not have a negative impact on the other parts of the system? If JF does not respond are we to assume that the charging method might be one of the enhancements for the competition lists?

In the hiatus until the launch perhaps JF might like to speculate wheter MojoPoly (new board game?) ought to outperfom my Auralic Aries Mini (with SSD HDD and LPS) into my 2Qute (using the Mini as wireless server for MojoPoly)?
To answer you Yes to the intelligent charging but it works so that awhich ever battery either Mojo or Poly is lower it diverts the available charging power to the device that needs it the most. To the other point I've never actually used the Auralic Aries Mini though it looks and I'm sure is a very nice product and can do good job in a desk top situation, however in comparison its about fifty times the volume and mass of the Chord Poly so in our terms its technology though good, it ain't so "mini" and can't possibly give you the complete and total freedom that Poly will allow. The clever thing about Poly is that it has some more features and does the job using a mear fraction of the power with out loosing functionality or speed of operation .

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2017 at 4:58 AM Post #1,928 of 18,752
The clever thing about Poly is that it has some more features and does the job using a mear fraction of the power with out loosing functionality or speed of operation .

As the author of Dapper, I have bought and run/tested a ton of DAP user interfaces and ease of use in terms of getting music and playlists to digital audio players.

This includes a ton of Astell&Kern, Ibasso, FiiO, Sony, Cowon, HifiMan models as well as some one-offs like the Pono, Onkyo, Phillips.

I don't comment on sound quality, since each person has their own taste here, but I do feel I have a lot of experience at which player performs in terms of:

Ease of connection (For example AK+Mac=Abysmal)
Music copy speed. (Some <2MB/s and some >60)
Playlist copy speed (Android players like AK and Onkyo with MTP are very slow)
Playlist pain (Can I just copy, or do I need to format each time)
Unicode character support (Does the player like strange character files? What about the strange file names in a playlist file? What if the file Unicode format <> file system Unicode format)
Playlist support in general which is a result of the above.
UI speed and fluidity
ID3 tag usage (Album art vs folder.jpg , strange characters as per above, volume tags)
Customization (Balance, volume, EQs)
Network connectivity (Android, WiFi, multiple SSIDs, OTA updates)
Streaming? Tidal? Android apps able to actually drive the DAC?
How easy is it to "sync" changes such as when you edit a playlist on your desktop, or buy a new album?

The Poly seems to be billed as having a ton of power, but with low-power-drain.

I'll be interested in providing usability feedback when she shipssince this is what Poly is all about...

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2017 at 6:15 AM Post #1,929 of 18,752
To answer you Yes to the intelligent charging but it works so that awhich ever battery either Mojo or Poly is lower it diverts the available charging power to the device that needs it the most. To the other point I've never actually used the Auralic Aries Mini though it looks and I'm sure is a very nice product and can do good job in a desk top situation, however in comparison its about fifty times the volume and mass of the Chord Poly so in our terms its technology though good, it ain't so "mini" and can't possibly give you the complete and total freedom that Poly will allow. The clever thing about Poly is that it has some more features and does the job using a mear fraction of the power with out loosing functionality or speed of operation .
The Aries Mini is tiny for a desktop streamer/DAC. In fact it's about 3.5 times the size of the Mojopoly combo and about double the mass at 0.5kg (not sure where the fifty times comes from!). Admittedly that's without the PSU and a lot of the Mojopoly is battery but the Mini does have space for comprehensive full sized socketry and a hard disc. Anyway that's beside the point except for when you're planning your domestic Poly (Dojo?).

Thanks for the info on charging. The implication is that, unlike Hugo2, Mojopoly is not intended for desktop use which is fair enough but means I need to reframe my question.

I'm an OAP and not wedded to my mobile phone unlike most people these days. I bought the cheapest smartphone which had OTG and could take a micro SD card (Motorola Moto E - £80). I mainly use my Mojo on holidays (the joys of retirement). I stream FLAC files via a hand made OTG cable with the Mojo feeding a tiny £100 class T amp and small £100 speakers (when travelling by car) and a UE Boom and £50 ear buds when travelling by plane. I know it's weird having a 'portable' separates system but It sounds pretty good.

My question is what, if any, difference in sound quality can I expect in substituting the £500 Poly for the £100 phone/cable or is the Poly all about a convenience and functionality that I don't really need?

Aug 22, 2017 at 7:56 AM Post #1,930 of 18,752
The Aries Mini is tiny for a desktop streamer/DAC. In fact it's about 3.5 times the size of the Mojopoly combo and about double the mass at 0.5kg (not sure where the fifty times comes from!). Admittedly that's without the PSU and a lot of the Mojopoly is battery but the Mini does have space for comprehensive full sized socketry and a hard disc. Anyway that's beside the point except for when you're planning your domestic Poly (Dojo?).

Thanks for the info on charging. The implication is that, unlike Hugo2, Mojopoly is not intended for desktop use which is fair enough but means I need to reframe my question.

I'm an OAP and not wedded to my mobile phone unlike most people these days. I bought the cheapest smartphone which had OTG and could take a micro SD card (Motorola Moto E - £80). I mainly use my Mojo on holidays (the joys of retirement). I stream FLAC files via a hand made OTG cable with the Mojo feeding a tiny £100 class T amp and small £100 speakers (when travelling by car) and a UE Boom and £50 ear buds when travelling by plane. I know it's weird having a 'portable' separates system but It sounds pretty good.

My question is what, if any, difference in sound quality can I expect in substituting the £500 Poly for the £100 phone/cable or is the Poly all about a convenience and functionality that I don't really need?
Yes your quite correct of course I'd assumed it was larger than it is, though for a true comparison don't forget the mini's power supply also you must consider that if your including Mojo in your calculations that you really should add an amplifier to the Mini too as Mojo has a five volt RMS output.
Re sound quality I can't comment on any other products though I'm sure you can figure that there is no loss of fidelity as Poly adds no noise at all, working only in the digital domain and doing everything correctly and speedily also it can play files with frequencies well beyond Mojo's, beyond 768KHz right up to 1MHz if ever it's required then you get Mojo's performance with around five hundred times ( Robs figure) the digital processing of a normal industry chip style Dac.
As I said the mini is I'm sure very good and the choice is yours

Aug 22, 2017 at 8:13 AM Post #1,931 of 18,752
Yes your quite correct of course I'd assumed it was larger than it is, though for a true comparison don't forget the mini's power supply also you must consider that if your including Mojo in your calculations that you really should add an amplifier to the Mini too as Mojo has a five volt RMS output.
Re sound quality I can't comment on any other products though I'm sure you can figure that there is no loss of fidelity as Poly adds no noise at all, working only in the digital domain and doing everything correctly and speedily also it can play files with frequencies well beyond Mojo's, beyond 768KHz right up to 1MHz if ever it's required then you get Mojo's performance with around five hundred times ( Robs figure) the digital processing of a normal industry chip style Dac.
As I said the mini is I'm sure very good and the choice is yours
Thanks, Mr F. Lets ignore the Mini and concentrate on on my last question. Should the Poly sound much better than my £80 smartphone both using FLAC into the Mojo?

Aug 22, 2017 at 9:51 AM Post #1,933 of 18,752
Both should provide a perfect digital file to your Mojo. The major sonic advantage that Poly has,is that the phone is no longer required to be anywhere near the Mojo. The RF and EMC from phones when receiving incoming data or calls is very significant and is very difficult to counter because it gets into Mojo through it's cables Poly negates all that close proximity noise there is no cable between Poly and Mojo

Aug 24, 2017 at 9:12 AM Post #1,934 of 18,752
Very happy Mojo owner here, so first off a heartfelt thank you to @Mojo ideas for this wonderful little gadget! :beerchug:

I'm currently using the Mojo via usb from my laptop running Foobar/Roon but that might not be an option for much longer, so I'll need another source to feed the Mojo. Sure, I could use it with my phone as it supports USB OTG and has a MicroSD slot, but that's a bit cumbersome when the phone rings... I could go back to Astell & Kern and use one of their cheaper (LOL!) players as a source for the Mojo or go full thrifter and get something like a Shanling M1. But no matter what, it'll add bulk and cables. Sure, the Poly costs a pretty penny, but with the phone I'm always carrying anyway it would be a super sweet one-box (kinda, when using the long case) solution for feeding tunes to my ciems.

Is Poly a must-have for all Mojo owners? No.
Is Poly particularly cheap? No.
Is Poly a piece of exquisite engineering showcasing audiophile craftmanship in a tiny package? I bet it will be, just like the Mojo.
Poly looks like utter perfection* for my particular needs and preferences. Sign me up.

*I forfeited the right to whine about pricing when I got my third set of >$1500 IEMs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back