Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Nov 28, 2017 at 8:52 PM Post #4,066 of 18,669
I do understand the frustration but Poly can not have been developed by a small company with finite resources, in any other way than it is. Please try to understand, we knew that any product like or this that had to work across all platforms, routers, WiFi environments and favoured Player Apps would need copious feed back from some where! Simply to fix all issues. We did put out 250 units in July to our wonderfully responsive distributors and some retailers and just Few of you guys. We waited for feed back,unfortunately nothing came, we actually only had one person come back with anything useful, it was one of you. You see the sample we put out was simply not big enough to see all the issues. So making sure that Poly could be upgraded over the Internet we knew we’d only get the data we needed from you all IR being a massive sampling of what’s out there for Poly to interact with. We are not letting this lie it’s a process we are fixing all issues as we see them. It’s complex but the first update is coming this week, there will be two following but poly will be working within its defined spec very soon so please keep the faith.

Thank you for taking the time to post a detailed response.
I understand, i cant speak for others but that'll do me, a reasonable explanation was all that I required.
I'll wait patiently, I look forward to posting positive and constructive comments again.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2017 at 9:13 PM Post #4,067 of 18,669
I guess the Poly is trying to be all things to all people - and it is going to be tough to do everything well. But it does most things pretty well for me. I do agree - the GoFigure app should have been available day one. Don't launch a product just to meet Black Friday or Christmas launch if it is incomplete. Using a clip to reset the unit every time you are in a train or a plane is not even a short term solution.

But some of these issues might be user error..

For a start - charging. I am pretty sure when you first get the Poly out of the box, there was this card.
IMG_2775.JPG

First time you need to charge the Poly separately with a 2A charger for 6 hours. I used my iPad charger 12W. Worked fine. Subsequently I was able to charge both connected together.

This might have been one of the common user encountered problems where the Poly wasn't charging.

Bundling chargers - is not a trivial issue for a worldwide launch. I remember I had issues getting the low noise PSU for my iFi iUSB for Australia and UK plugs. It was only the low noise option for the US charger. And these days where most phones and devices use USB chargers - it didn't seem a stretch to get us to supply our own. My GoPro didn't come with one either.

Going back to the clip.. I might be in the minority but I do carry one of those SIM change tools in my wallet pockets when I travel. I am not petite by any means but even I managed to change my nano SIM on my iPhones on flights. I have had ONE instance where I dropped the nanoSIM in the 20-30 times I have travelled. But this shouldn't be an issue with the Poly.

I bought a microSD card the other day and I am not really keen to tinker with a DLNA app for now.. so waiting patiently for the GoFigure app. But for now, Roon works fine. Would definitely appreciate the firmware update to handle MQA and Roon certified.

It is already Wednesday here... fingers crossed.

Nov 28, 2017 at 11:43 PM Post #4,068 of 18,669
I do understand the frustration but Poly can not have been developed by a small company with finite resources, in any other way than it is. Please try to understand, we knew that any product like or this that had to work across all platforms, routers, WiFi environments and favoured Player Apps would need copious feed back from some where! Simply to fix all issues. We did put out 250 units in July to our wonderfully responsive distributors and some retailers and just Few of you guys. We waited for feed back,unfortunately nothing came, we actually only had one person come back with anything useful, it was one of you. You see the sample we put out was simply not big enough to see all the issues. So making sure that Poly could be upgraded over the Internet we knew we’d only get the data we needed from you all IR being a massive sampling of what’s out there for Poly to interact with. We are not letting this lie it’s a process we are fixing all issues as we see them. It’s complex but the first update is coming this week, there will be two following but poly will be working within its defined spec very soon so please keep the faith.
Frankly, if Apple or Microsft had done this I’d be fried. But Chord is neither of those. They are something special. You don’t have to be Brit to love Mojo! Poly is going to add so much to the Mojo experience that I certainly don’t mind doing my part to iron out the kinks.

I stumbled into this blindly thinking Poly would allow me a single unit source of great playback and streaming. I have no doubt we’ll get there.

Nov 29, 2017 at 4:18 AM Post #4,069 of 18,669

This is the first time you have acknowledged that the Poly was released being anything less than perfect, which is a start...

Nov 29, 2017 at 5:45 AM Post #4,070 of 18,669
Yep, my feeling too! Which might put more of the focus on IOS rather than Poly, they (Apple) always had those compatibility/security issues with...everything else. I`ve had a few Apples and my wife still goes full Apple, phone, laptop, iPad, but I just needed the ''luxury'' of audio jacks, my own samplerates and bitrates, the complex ''copy-paste'' operation on my phone, not to mention some not so legally acquired games and programs (I only bought the ones I really like, I`m not the supreme pirate) ... let`s not blame Chord so much here... My MojoPoly works flawlessly from day 2 on Android and Roon PC. Power up, listen, power down. Or fall asleep..
And I didn`t complain even once for a free case, just bought it on Amazon. Can`t complain over a gift, Chord made some of us a present, that`s it. If they wouldn`t, they wouldn`t have to take some of the punishment they took here. Would that had been better? I`m getting in too much English grammar for my knowledge here, hope I didn`t loose it.

I’ve been using MojoPoly via Roon, SD card, Airplay and Bluetooth so far. Control is via iPhone or iPad and I haven’t really been having any problems at all. The only issues that I have encountered have been:

1) Flaky network connection at distance which is not Poly as it affects other devices similarly
2) Difficulty removing SD card - simply resolved by just slightly loosening one of the bottom screws on the Poly which was a touch over-tight

Hopefully, the Chord app will make it easier for everyone. I certainly won’t miss the current method of accessing setup but, otherwise, I really like the MojoPoly combination. I actually much prefer it without a case anyway as it is smoother, sleeker, lighter and easier to handle. I wonder whether Chord will offer an all in one unit at some point?

Nov 29, 2017 at 6:27 AM Post #4,071 of 18,669
It's good to hear directly from Chord that they recognise the various issues being experienced by customers and are working to resolve them. My Mojo/Poly combination is superb when it's working, but unfortunately that doesn't happen very often. I'm still getting the drop-outs that I've experienced from day 1 while running it on my home network, mostly in 'Other' mode but also in Roon mode. Poly status light goes out, flashes a couple of times and then lights up again. It seems to work fine when connected to my iPhone hotspot, so the problem must be with my home network? I've posted previously that my network isn't the cleanest set-up by any means, but no other device I own ever has a problem maintaining a connection to the network, so why should Poly be so temperamental? Even more frustrating from a trouble-shooting point of view, sometimes it works perfectly for hours in exactly the same environment. Could there maybe be an issue with some devices on my network using 5GHz and Poly using 2.4GHz?
My main concern is that the unit itself may be faulty rather than just suffering from something that an update can fix, so I really hope this first update gets released soon and puts my mind at ease. Still keeping the faith!

Nov 29, 2017 at 6:41 AM Post #4,072 of 18,669
My Mojopoly works flawlessly at my home either on my home wifi network or Iphone hot spot, both for streaming and sd card on 8 Player. Hovewer in my office wifi network there is a lot of interference, lots of cracking and music sometimes gets faster then slows down. So its very sensitive to wifi signal me thinks. Hovewer I never experienced any issues with card loading, poly getting dead, or having issues with charging.
But still expecting serious comments or testing from dealers was bit risky on the Chord side. When I was buying Poly my dealer was not able to set it up properly to show if it works. He clearly said that without app, buying is risky. He was justified a bit as he got the device just three days before I bought it and they still did not learn it.

Nov 29, 2017 at 6:56 AM Post #4,073 of 18,669
I’ve been using MojoPoly via Roon, SD card, Airplay and Bluetooth so far. Control is via iPhone or iPad and I haven’t really been having any problems at all. The only issues that I have encountered have been:

1) Flaky network connection at distance which is not Poly as it affects other devices similarly
2) Difficulty removing SD card - simply resolved by just slightly loosening one of the bottom screws on the Poly which was a touch over-tight

Hopefully, the Chord app will make it easier for everyone. I certainly won’t miss the current method of accessing setup but, otherwise, I really like the MojoPoly combination. I actually much prefer it without a case anyway as it is smoother, sleeker, lighter and easier to handle. I wonder whether Chord will offer an all in one unit at some point?

Exactly my experience with my poly (removing SD Card was no problem for me.). I bought a used Mojo here in germany via ebay, i simply wanted to replace my Soundblaster E5 DAC with something better. Mojo has delivered and after testing i found that this thing sounds even better then the built-in DAC in my DENON PMA-50. Then i found the poly on the CHORD Website. Searched amazon germany for it and found it for 650€ with Longcase. Deep Breath about the price, but the possibilities were too compelling to let this pass. So i ordered it and was at least 50% sure to return the thing because it would be hard to justify for this price.

Now, 4 weeks later, i love this thing and probably will never again use Mojo without poly. I too remove the case from time to time because i love to hold and move it thru my hands just for fun and beauty (fantasizing that it might be a beutiful stone found on the beach which has collected the wisdom and experience of thouthands of generations, landing in my hands. But to unlock its last secrets it ask's me for patience to be able to get the last few keystrokes from the masters of CHORD unlocking this thing which then explodes in my head and makes me whole again...).

No, really, i love mojopoly and i use it stationery, on the move around the house and on the go. If CHORD gets this all sorted out, delivers the app and maybe can add a few new capabilities i think it would be hard to beat in the MAP-Market.

Nov 29, 2017 at 6:57 AM Post #4,074 of 18,669
8player crashes whenever I pause a track. Anyone else find that? It’s thede little things that make it such a frustrating experience
The only crash I get is an occasional one, I can pause/start/stop and change tracks without any problems. I sent an enhancement request asking for a way to default the output device - so I don't blast out the music on the iPhone speakers - and this was there in yesterdays update and on the odd occasion when I do have a hiccup and stop/start the app it defaults to my poly, hurrah!

I downloaded the Glider app but have not had much experience with it to motivate me to buy it.

Nov 29, 2017 at 7:09 AM Post #4,075 of 18,669
It's good to hear directly from Chord that they recognise the various issues being experienced by customers and are working to resolve them. My Mojo/Poly combination is superb when it's working, but unfortunately that doesn't happen very often. I'm still getting the drop-outs that I've experienced from day 1 while running it on my home network, mostly in 'Other' mode but also in Roon mode. Poly status light goes out, flashes a couple of times and then lights up again. It seems to work fine when connected to my iPhone hotspot, so the problem must be with my home network? I've posted previously that my network isn't the cleanest set-up by any means, but no other device I own ever has a problem maintaining a connection to the network, so why should Poly be so temperamental? Even more frustrating from a trouble-shooting point of view, sometimes it works perfectly for hours in exactly the same environment. Could there maybe be an issue with some devices on my network using 5GHz and Poly using 2.4GHz?
My main concern is that the unit itself may be faulty rather than just suffering from something that an update can fix, so I really hope this first update gets released soon and puts my mind at ease. Still keeping the faith!

Have you tried giving Poly the highest connection priority on your router? This may help.

Nov 29, 2017 at 7:15 AM Post #4,076 of 18,669
Exactly my experience with my poly (removing SD Card was no problem for me.). I bought a used Mojo here in germany via ebay, i simply wanted to replace my Soundblaster E5 DAC with something better. Mojo has delivered and after testing i found that this thing sounds even better then the built-in DAC in my DENON PMA-50. Then i found the poly on the CHORD Website. Searched amazon germany for it and found it for 650€ with Longcase. Deep Breath about the price, but the possibilities were too compelling to let this pass. So i ordered it and was at least 50% sure to return the thing because it would be hard to justify for this price.

Now, 4 weeks later, i love this thing and probably will never again use Mojo without poly. I too remove the case from time to time because i love to hold and move it thru my hands just for fun and beauty (fantasizing that it might be a beutiful stone found on the beach which has collected the wisdom and experience of thouthands of generations, landing in my hands. But to unlock its last secrets it ask's me for patience to be able to get the last few keystrokes from the masters of CHORD unlocking this thing which then explodes in my head and makes me whole again...).

No, really, i love mojopoly and i use it stationery, on the move around the house and on the go. If CHORD gets this all sorted out, delivers the app and maybe can add a few new capabilities i think it would be hard to beat in the MAP-Market.

Yes, I doubt that I will ever detach Mojo from Poly - they seem like a perfect match, hence my wondering whether Chord might release an all in one version. I guess not as it would limit the appeal and flexibility vs 2 separate devices, but a single unit would be solid and robust on the move without need for a case to keep the two halves together. (Like you, I also like the feel of it in my hand without a case, but didn’t want to say so in case it seemed weird!) :dt880smile:

Prospective purchasers should perhaps bear in mind that there are probably hundreds of satisfied users who do not need to vent their frustration on forums, but this noise can potentially dissuade some people from trying things out. Feedback from others can sometimes be helpful, but I only ever go by my own experience when making decisions - nothing else matters.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2017 at 10:31 AM Post #4,079 of 18,669
Nor should you have to, to be fair

Yes and no. As a family of 4, we have a DVR, 2 desktops, 2 laptops, 4 iPhones, 2 Apple TVs, 1 airport express, 2 iPads, 3 Kindles, 2 Apple watches, an Xbox, an Amazon fire stick, and an ElacDiscovery music server and a wireless solar monitoring connection. That’s over 20 devices that may be competing for resources at one time. Poly cannot address all these situations in its own. You may need to up your router skills on certain situations.

Nov 29, 2017 at 10:52 AM Post #4,080 of 18,669
Forgive me if this been asked/answered already (haven't been able to read through the 200+ pages of this thread yet), but when using the SD card and pushing commands to the Poly using a MPD, do you have to be connected via wireless (either both devices on the same network or ad-hoc) or can this be accomplished through bluetooth? Poly would be perfect for use at work for me, but if I have to be connected to the Poly via wireless all day to push MPD commands that's obviously less than ideal (connecting both to the work WiFi and trying to communicate wouldn't work well), and being able to push these commands via bluetooth would make much more sense to me.

TIA!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back