Chord Dave and Mscaler questions
Oct 5, 2020 at 6:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

kenray536

New Head-Fier
Dave and Mscaler are here!

I have some questions that owners can hopefully help me with.

1) When I am feed the mscaler an optical signal to my Dave, my max resolution is 705.6. How do I get 768? Can I still get 768 from the optical input or does it have to be USB?

2) Can’t find the cables the mscaler came with so I bought cheap amazon ones to hold me over until I can afford nicer ones.

I am noticing that the music is cutting in and out sometimes. Do you think this is because of the cheap cables? Any recommendations what to get instead for now?

Here is what I bought and they don’t seem to work:

SDI Cable 3ft, Furui HD-SDI Cable 3G 75 Ohm Coax Cable 75-5 BNC to BNC Cable Copper Connectors Anti Oxidant 1080P for Video Security Camera CCTV Systems https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GRQD7WC

I also have amps with large Toroidal transformers on the same rack as the Mscaler and Dave. The manual warns about this but just wondering if others have had interference issues.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Oct 5, 2020 at 7:06 PM Post #2 of 4
If only there was a DAVE or M-Scaler thread you could ask for help :thinking:

Lol.

But to answer your questions
  • You have to be at 24/96 or higher on your source to get the full 768 upscale.
  • Bnc cables matter a lot.
  • The cheap ones you currently have may be responsible for the dropouts.
  • I recommend the SOTM bnc cables or the WAVE ones (both are expensive, unfortunately. But they are worth the upgrade).

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2021 at 1:45 PM Post #4 of 4
Help Needed... Another Question:
Should I leave my DAVE powered on (like the Schiit Yggdrasil) or should I turn it off between uses?
Almost all electronic devices reach thermal stability within 10-15 minutes. Keeping them on when you're not using them simply costs money and wastes energy. The need to keep any DAC on continuously for best sound has been debunked, marketing claims or community folklore notwithstanding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back