Chord DAC64 Signature version ?
Dec 12, 2008 at 2:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

fkclo

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello all,

I am wondering about the Signature version of the Chord DAC64. Here is the photo that I grab from another website :

200702%2F01%2F49%2Ff0044349_17522893.jpg

The interesting thing is I did not hear much about this DAC on the internet, and not even the Chord official website has any information about it. So, my questions are :

a) Does it exist ?

b) When was it released ?

c) How does it compared to the DAC64 MKII ?

d) How does it compared to the latest QBD67 ?

Many thanks in advance.

F. Lo

Dec 12, 2008 at 4:23 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looks like MK2 with engraving and golden rim. Is the serial number 10000?

This is what I thought too, but then some claimed to say the Signature is one step above the MK2 and is the best analogue sounding DAC from Chord. This kept me wondering.

It was also said that this was released in extreme limited quantities and only available to "friends" of Chord Electronics and not available publicly.

Looks like a very secretive product that even escape the eyes of the audio magazine editors....

That is why I try to know better about this DAC. BTW, review of the QBD67 is starting the surface and has been very positive. Wondering if it is worthwhile to try one.

F. Lo

Dec 12, 2008 at 5:15 PM Post #4 of 6
From what I have read it is a limited, commemmorative edition of which only 100 were made. I believe that it uses some particularly special high-precision (nichrome) resistors for better sound and stability, and a dynamic range of 125dB.

Dec 12, 2008 at 6:25 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by fkclo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is why I try to know better about this DAC. BTW, review of the QBD67 is starting the surface and has been very positive. Wondering if it is worthwhile to try one.

F. Lo

If I had to chose and had funds I would go for QBD67 for sure. MK1 and MK2 though could be had for less than half the price on used market.
I have also read that MK1 is considered more detailed and upfront comparing to MK2 and can be firmware flashed to support dual input from Blu.

Dec 13, 2008 at 12:53 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I had to chose and had funds I would go for QBD67 for sure. MK1 and MK2 though could be had for less than half the price on used market.
I have also read that MK1 is considered more detailed and upfront comparing to MK2 and can be firmware flashed to support dual input from Blu.

I have already put the QBD67 on the 2009 wish list. But from what I read the MKII/I and QBD67 have very different set of DNAs - and therefore have different character and personalities.

I think the Signature is a collector's item, not unlike the Anniversary Edition of Earmax.

F. Lo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back