Chord Announces Poly, Hugo 2 and Blu MkII @ CES 2017
Jan 9, 2017 at 3:31 PM Post #136 of 144
This thread is hilarious.  There is now a changing of the guard with Chord.  You have the old dac crowd frustrated with what Chord has achieved and has all the proper arguments and logic to go with it that just shuts all counterargument down(this means its over).  I too run into this situation on a daily basis doesnt mean the resistance will stop but the future moves on and eventually others clam down as reality sinks in.  I think the Chord gear is worth more than the asking price(30 years of dudes life they really arent asking that much for R&D and hes right about everything and ahead of everyone) when you look at and understand all the tech yeah the Mojo is a little digital sounding but what it does with T90s on edm streams is just interpolation magic its like a hardware upsample that shoots straight through your headphones into your ear(especially with iems into your brain).  I dont use wireless I know WIRES are the future and yes I'm a wire and material science snob that buys silver wires just because its a precious metal(LOL think) as soon as I move Im going to make custom usb cables(I do not worship the Church of Digital Infallibility Computer Weenie aka MONOPRICE Infact I am the MONOPRICE antichrist and I take every opportunity to blaspheme and attack its influence).  The only thing I use wireless for is to use MPC HC remote on android so I see wireless as a terrific upgrade to infrared remotes(LOL) so poly does nothing for me but I have yet to see the real launch material, Bluetooth is even more inferior and only a phone headset technology not for audio.

Jan 9, 2017 at 7:44 PM Post #137 of 144
For those interested, Chord gave an answer as to why Poly costs more than Mojo, below, from the dedicated Poly thread. It costs more because it's more expensive to produce.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/831347/chord-electronics-poly-add-on-microsd-and-advanced-wireless-module-for-mojo/405#post_13158442

Originally Posted by Mojo ideas View Post

We follow simple rules the Bill of material is about thirty percent more and it's far more complex to manufacture Mojo has a four layer board. Poly has a triple core high level processor and a ten layer circuit board with four thousand blind and buried vias its a minute monster of complexity any of you dealing with this stuff in your own industries should realise this

Jan 9, 2017 at 11:22 PM Post #138 of 144
I have a Mojo.  I love the thing.  It brings an excellent DAC and a fine amp together in one circuit, in one neat little box.  Sure, the colored marbles for on/off/volume are a little annoying, but they work fine.  It works great with my super sensitive ciems, and with my Ether C's.  It even gets a fair amount of duty as the dac into my 2 channel rig.  All of this tethered to an AK100ii that I bought used for $475, or to my phone if I feel some need to stream Tidal when I am not near wifi, which is essentially never.....

I just can't see the value proposition of the poly to ME given my current rig and use of the Mojo:

1) Micro SD card music => AK100ii + Mojo = 2 devices.  Phone + Mojo + Poly = 3 devices:  Win to Mojo + AK100ii
2) Stream Tidal via wifi => AK100ii + Mojo = 2 devices.  Phone + Mojo + Poly = 3 devices, plus I either loose quality via bluetooth, or hardwire phone to Mojo, making Poly redundant:  Win to Mojo + AK100ii
3) Stream Tidal via mobile phone => iphone plus kludgy cable set up = 2 devices and a crappy cable set up.  Phone plus Mojo + poly = 3 devices, plus I either loose quality via bluetooh, or hardwire phone to Mojo, making Poly redundant:  Win to Mojo + iphone, but barely because of the cable kludge.
4) Stream music from my hard drive => AK100ii + Mojo = 2 devices.  Phone + poly + mojo won't do this (I think?)  Win to Mojo + AK100ii by default (I think.  I could be off base on this one.)

So for me, the $500 or so that the Poly is likely to cost in the US just doesn't buy me anything I don't already have.  Granted, the Mojo AK100ii stack is a bit clunky, but the functionality is better, for ME.

Just my 2 cents.....

Jan 13, 2017 at 4:01 PM Post #139 of 144
I can't understand why some folk are saying that the Hugo2 will have shorter battery life than the Hugo. I read that Chord have put a battery in with a longer life, like up to fourteen hours.

I am puzzled also by chord putting filters on the Hugo2. I thought Rob Watts idea was to produce DACs that reproduce the original analogue signal as close as possible. Just what we want right. What's the idea then of adding filters that are going to be something akin to EQ-presets.

Even the cross-feed settings leave me a bit puzzled. The directional info comes from the detail. I just want my headphones or speakers to do what's there.  I mean again, that Rob explains the rudiments of the Mojo soundstage, and the mojo has no cross-feed.

I can't help thinking it would be nice if they would also make a flat iteration of the Hugo2. I understand that the Hugo2 can be set up flat. However I mean so we don't need to pay for filters and cross-feed that I personally don't want.

Feb 4, 2017 at 6:57 PM Post #140 of 144
How much is the poly going to be in the US?

Feb 12, 2017 at 1:20 PM Post #142 of 144
  I am puzzled also by chord putting filters on the Hugo2. I thought Rob Watts idea was to produce DACs that reproduce the original analogue signal as close as possible. Just what we want right. What's the idea then of adding filters that are going to be something akin to EQ-presets.

Even the cross-feed settings leave me a bit puzzled. The directional info comes from the detail. I just want my headphones or speakers to do what's there.  I mean again, that Rob explains the rudiments of the Mojo soundstage, and the mojo has no cross-feed.

I can't help thinking it would be nice if they would also make a flat iteration of the Hugo2. I understand that the Hugo2 can be set up flat. However I mean so we don't need to pay for filters and cross-feed that I personally don't want.

Rob added filters so that people could tune the sound to their liking because not all recordings (especially badly recorded ones) sound enjoyable with the ultimate reference filter. He figured that some people will add a tube amp, other solid state amp, or EQ the sound to change it anyway and he figured why not implement the best possible frequency response change by adding selectable filters. Atleast with this, the transparency is guaranteed to be intact and people could tune the sound to their preference. I like this idea. Infact I suggested a similar thing for Mojo but that may come at a later date with Mojo 2.

Since I own both Hugo and Mojo I will say that for a lot of recordings I prefer Mojo's tuning. It is very relaxing and just seduces you with its sound. I have some older recordings and they sound amazingly musical on Mojo but on Hugo they are barely listenable. Mojo's added smoothness makes all the difference. Right now I have to swap devices if I want a different sound but with Hugo 2 I just press a button and voila!

This extra button doesn't really add much cost to the unit either. It also increases the chance of more people keeping their Hugo's since not everyone is going to like the Hugo ultimate reference filter.

Just my two cents 
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back