Chord Anni
Oct 25, 2021 at 7:10 PM Post #301 of 564
I got my anni today and am very impressed...gave it a brief listen using my hugo 2 and found it a great match .....question for others who have gotten their?...what does the gain button do?...I pressed it while listening assuming it was a hi-gain low gain type of function but while the color changed I didnt hear any raising or lowering of volume...I also couldnt see anything in the manual...otherwise everything is pretty self evident...

Oct 25, 2021 at 7:45 PM Post #302 of 564
For the speakers out only.....

and I am wounded beyond belief my Qutest just stopped working out of warranty just as I hit 200 hours on Anni... turns on no sound eek
Hopefully repairable....

3-4 days seemed plenty to stabilise my anni... but let us know that you think on your set up.... I think the Anni is really good just not sure how it compares with the big competition....

Have fun with it..and good luck 👍

Oct 25, 2021 at 10:38 PM Post #303 of 564
For the speakers out only.....

and I am wounded beyond belief my Qutest just stopped working out of warranty just as I hit 200 hours on Anni... turns on no sound eek
Hopefully repairable....

3-4 days seemed plenty to stabilise my anni... but let us know that you think on your set up.... I think the Anni is really good just not sure how it compares with the big competition....

Have fun with it..and good luck 👍
you are saying the gain function is only for speakers out?

Oct 26, 2021 at 1:52 AM Post #305 of 564
you are saying the gain function is only for speakers out

Screenshot_20211026-065035_Google.jpg

Oct 26, 2021 at 6:20 AM Post #306 of 564
I got my anni today and am very impressed...gave it a brief listen using my hugo 2 and found it a great match .....question for others who have gotten their?...what does the gain button do?...I pressed it while listening assuming it was a hi-gain low gain type of function but while the color changed I didnt hear any raising or lowering of volume...I also couldnt see anything in the manual...otherwise everything is pretty self evident...
Wow you got it just in time, i was looking to ask someone if adding Anni to Dave would be a good idea. This idea has been nagging me since it came out. In terms of transparency, not just power. I'm curious If it would benefit easy to drive headphones as well.

Oct 26, 2021 at 7:21 AM Post #307 of 564
Wow you got it just in time, i was looking to ask someone if adding Anni to Dave would be a good idea. This idea has been nagging me since it came out. In terms of transparency, not just power. I'm curious If it would benefit easy to drive headphones as well.
This is what I got as a reply for suggesting the same.
Adding an extra stage will always degrade transparency, so I am not interested in designing an analogue headphone amp. If you need more power for headphones go for a TT2.

More power on a Hugo 2 would need more batteries, or a charge pump to provide a boost voltage; but you have power dissipation problems too - Hugo 2 is a small package. For my needs, Hugo 2 has more than enough power.
I guess that would be even truer for Dave.

Oct 26, 2021 at 11:51 AM Post #308 of 564
Just posted a photo of mscaled qutest//anni on the qutest thread....some feedback later.....

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2021 at 12:12 PM Post #310 of 564
I don't think it makes any sense unless you use loudspeakers or susvara abyss cans with anni. For my oppo pm1 the qutest//anni//mscaled is perfect. The z1r is perfect with just dave no anni. For me qutest mscaled offers me more than solo dave. Anni was designed for qutest so i went for it. I personally would never use a non chord amp with a chord dac for headphones. When i heard anni/qutest i could tell non of the chord dac flavour had been compromised in fact it was magnified.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2021 at 12:40 PM Post #311 of 564
You can see the light emitting diodes inside working hard at the left.

IMG_20211026_173623877.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2021 at 12:41 PM Post #312 of 564
I don't think it makes any sense unless you use loudspeakers or susvara abyss cans with anni. For my oppo pm1 the qutest//anni//mscaled is perfect. The z1r is perfect with just dave no anni. For me qutest mscaled offers me more than solo dave. Anni was designed for qutest so i went for it. I personally would never use a non chord amp with a chord dac for headphones. When i heard anni/qutest i could tell non of the chord dac flavour had been compromised in fact it was magnified.
Well that's the plan, Dave's amp is holding me back from going for Susvara Abyss etc. Even with the transparency loss , the net result is probably superior to a PM-1 straight out of Dave for example. Luckily the LCD-5 ,Elite and Stealth are new alternatives that can be driven straight out of Dave. Will have to test everything and see. Meze Elite sounded great out of Dave.
Not going to question your choice, but i do find it weird that you're willing to sell Dave off for MQA (Mscaler Qutest Anni :p ). From my pov the M-scaler adds to Dave but by no means is the essential part. I much preferred solo Dave to MTT2. And there's a new M-scaler coming soon anyway.

Oct 26, 2021 at 12:49 PM Post #314 of 564
With the mscaler and the way it does reverb to me that's fantastic. But no crossfeed on anni. There are many reasons why i didn't go mDave. Cost, not finding any other hi end headphones that comfort me, playing the upgrade game for 5 years and then going into deeper philosophical reasoning applicable to me. A final solution system so i can just enjoy music with the mscaler being central to any decision is what i aimed for. I'm satisfied now. The realism factor with the anni/qutest/mscaler trio as compared to dave on its own is in a different league IMHO.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back