Chord 2Go & 2Yu Wired/Wireless Network streamer and S/PDIF adaptor - Official thread
Jul 31, 2020 at 4:09 PM Post #3,736 of 6,285
Standing the rig on edge would probably help - some small dots of blutack stuck to the desk would stabilise it. Or put it on a small photograph stand.

All that heat being produced is, of course, being taken from the charge in the batteries. Any reduction in that energy consumption would greatly extend the battery life.

Electronics, especially electrolytic capacitors, do not appreciate running at high temperatures for extended periods.
It’s been stood in a bamboo cradle on edge , plenty of air . It only gets hot when it’s ‘on’ despite it supposedly being in desktop mode . It’s so weird . Literally you couldn’t give it to a child to hold

Jul 31, 2020 at 5:30 PM Post #3,737 of 6,285
It’s been stood in a bamboo cradle on edge , plenty of air . It only gets hot when it’s ‘on’ despite it supposedly being in desktop mode . It’s so weird . Literally you couldn’t give it to a child to hold

Quite odd. I've used desktop mode a lot and never had it ever get anything but warm. I touch it a lot to check too.

This is without the 2Go though, just the Hugo 2 alone.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2020 at 5:45 PM Post #3,738 of 6,285
I practice a deep breathing technique to calm my nerves before I turn on the 2go... :ksc75smile:

(to be fair, it hasn‘t skipped a beat the past few days whilst using Qobuz and Mconnect)

Jul 31, 2020 at 5:57 PM Post #3,739 of 6,285
I think that is too hot. Maybe you should get it checked out.

Aug 1, 2020 at 6:03 AM Post #3,740 of 6,285
Just got my new Focal Elegia's. Decided for these over the DCA Eon 2's. Hope I made the right choice. Will get into some listening later tonight.

Aug 1, 2020 at 7:17 AM Post #3,741 of 6,285
Quite odd. I've used desktop mode a lot and never had it ever get anything but warm. I touch it a lot to check too.

This is without the 2Go though, just the Hugo 2 alone.

I run my Hugo2Go in desktop mode most of the time. Gets rather warm to the touch but never got on my wooden desk.

Aug 1, 2020 at 8:16 AM Post #3,742 of 6,285
Is anyone using their 2Go to listen through Tidal and/or Spotify? does it work well?

This would be my main case use for the 2Go and I don't want to spend money on it if's going to be a frustrating experience (I would rather keep using a DAP or LG phone). Thank you.

Aug 1, 2020 at 9:25 AM Post #3,743 of 6,285

I think that is too hot. Maybe you should get it checked out.

I was looking at lithium ion batteries while there was discussion of replacement of Hugo 2 batteries. (The latest 3 pages pretty much in the H2 thread.) I came across care of Li-Ion batteries.

Just one quick google tells us that Li-Ion batteries should not run too hot. E.g. I just googled 'lithium ion batteries safety care and use'.

This was one result from the NATIONAL FIRE PROTECTION ASSOCIATION. https://www.nfpa.org/-/media/Files/...afety-tip-sheets/LithiumIonBatterySafety.ashx

From this page:
• Keep batteries at room temperature.
• Do not place batteries in direct sunlight or keep them in hot vehicle

Am not sure how hot we can call room temperature. There are people use Li-Ion batteries in hot countries. In the UK Room temperature is, "The average room temperature in a UK home during the winter season is roughly 18°C, while central heating thermostats are generally set to around 20°C".

(Since no-one has reported an exploding Chord battery I suppose it's possible to say Hugo 2 is OK. (However there are quite a few reports of expanding Li-Po Mojo batteries, which is different battery technology.) I know that getting the batteries hot will reduce their life-time though. Or at least, that's information available on the internet.

The temperatures that people are describing in this thread do seem too high. I also read about H2Go when charging gets hot.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2020 at 5:19 PM Post #3,744 of 6,285
I was looking at lithium ion batteries while there was discussion of replacement of Hugo 2 batteries. (The latest 3 pages pretty much in the H2 thread.) I came across care of Li-Ion batteries.

Just one quick google tells us that Li-Ion batteries should not run too hot. E.g. I just googled 'lithium ion batteries safety care and use'.

This was one result from the NATIONAL FIRE PROTECTION ASSOCIATION. https://www.nfpa.org/-/media/Files/...afety-tip-sheets/LithiumIonBatterySafety.ashx

From this page:
• Keep batteries at room temperature.
• Do not place batteries in direct sunlight or keep them in hot vehicle

Am not sure how hot we can call room temperature. There are people use Li-Ion batteries in hot countries. In the UK Room temperature is, "The average room temperature in a UK home during the winter season is roughly 18°C, while central heating thermostats are generally set to around 20°C".

(Since no-one has reported an exploding Chord battery I suppose it's possible to say Hugo 2 is OK. (However there are quite a few reports of expanding Li-Po Mojo batteries, which is different battery technology.) I know that getting the batteries hot will reduce their life-time though. Or at least, that's information available on the internet.

The temperatures that people are describing in this thread do seem too high. I also read about H2Go when charging gets hot.
Yes for sure it gets extremely hot, solution is but not perfect to keep it standing on its side in a well ventilated area.
Both my Ch2 and 2go back for repairs or exchange, so luckily kept my Mojo whuch I am now enjoying 24/192 file from qobus via iphone-cck-usb-mojo, sounds great, not CH2 good but much better than the vinylpopsandclicks and no hi rez playing files from 2go, as is now not skipping a beat And I can actually enjoy music without the stress of the 2go.....

Aug 1, 2020 at 6:21 PM Post #3,745 of 6,285
Lately, I've been having a lot of unexplained dropouts using Roon. I'd do a full shutdown of the 2Go, but still would happen again. Finally, it dawned on my to restart my Roon Core. Over the last 2 days, no dropouts. (Of course, I've probably just jinxed myself.)

Aug 1, 2020 at 8:05 PM Post #3,746 of 6,285
Yes for sure it gets extremely hot, solution is but not perfect to keep it standing on its side in a well ventilated area.
Both my Ch2 and 2go back for repairs or exchange, so luckily kept my Mojo whuch I am now enjoying 24/192 file from qobus via iphone-cck-usb-mojo, sounds great, not CH2 good but much better than the vinylpopsandclicks and no hi rez playing files from 2go, as is now not skipping a beat And I can actually enjoy music without the stress of the 2go.....

Nothing like Mojo for back-up.

Aug 1, 2020 at 9:14 PM Post #3,747 of 6,285
Lately, I've been having a lot of unexplained dropouts using Roon. I'd do a full shutdown of the 2Go, but still would happen again. Finally, it dawned on my to restart my Roon Core. Over the last 2 days, no dropouts. (Of course, I've probably just jinxed myself.)
Restarting the core helps. For a while at least.

Aug 2, 2020 at 8:31 AM Post #3,748 of 6,285
I'm not sure I buy the Roon Core issues. It seems unlikely that somehow RC would get to a point of requiring a reboot for people using 2go wirelessly (you guys?) but wouldn't for people using 2g wired (me). Stable as a brick on my end. I also don't entirely grok how 2go could impact RC unless they both had sympatico bugs, which is insanely unlikely.

That said, if it works it works, who the hell am I to say otherwise. But I don't grok.

Doody

Aug 2, 2020 at 11:02 AM Post #3,749 of 6,285
I'm not sure I buy the Roon Core issues. It seems unlikely that somehow RC would get to a point of requiring a reboot for people using 2go wirelessly (you guys?) but wouldn't for people using 2g wired (me). Stable as a brick on my end. I also don't entirely grok how 2go could impact RC unless they both had sympatico bugs, which is insanely unlikely.

That said, if it works it works, who the hell am I to say otherwise. But I don't grok.

Doody
Not sure I buy it either. I thought it was an interesting "data point" to mention.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back