Chord 2Go & 2Yu Wired/Wireless Network streamer and S/PDIF adaptor - Official thread
Feb 19, 2020 at 9:21 AM Post #226 of 6,285
Are there any benefits to running your Roon core on a device like a NUC rather than a standard desktop PC? My Roon core is currently running on a random Dell desktop PC that runs headless and handles a couple other server functions for my household.

It seems to have more than enough power to handle my use case.

Feb 19, 2020 at 9:34 AM Post #227 of 6,285
I would suggest there is not much difference - ROCK might sound better on higher end gaming motherboards and CPU's (massive thread on Audiophilestyle), but NUC's offer the advantage of low power consumption and a DC inlet so easier/cheaper to add a linear power supply too. I have tested Roon ROCK on NUC and a Gaming PC - not much audiable difference, Gaming PC perhaps sounds slightly more dynamic. I quickly gave up with Roon and continue to use Euphony. If you are keen on Roon, then Euphony can act as an endpoint as well. My experience is that a NUC running Euphony as an endpoint is noticably better sounding than Allo USBridge Sig (which is already rather good).

In terms of power - I have previously run Roon Core on my Synology NAS (quad core celeron) - no problems in terms of responsiveness / handling my library.

Anyway, my aim and hope is that 2Go is competitive with these offerings. I will be testing it against them.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2020 at 10:32 AM Post #230 of 6,285
Are there any benefits to running your Roon core on a device like a NUC rather than a standard desktop PC? My Roon core is currently running on a random Dell desktop PC that runs headless and handles a couple other server functions for my household.

It seems to have more than enough power to handle my use case.
absolutely but that's a computer versus antipodes audio, clearly better

Feb 19, 2020 at 10:51 AM Post #231 of 6,285
absolutely but that's a computer versus antipodes audio, clearly better
Almost always correct, but Euphony on a NUC (ideally with a linear power supply) has been quoted as being competive with Antipodes. Add in RAM boot, Apacer Ram and an Optane M2 SSD and it might exceed the performance of the Antipodes under some circumstances. What DIY'ers cannot compete with is Sound Galleries Exteme or Pink Faun servers - which are a signficant step up apparently.

Anyhow, I think I have a good basis for comparision with the new 2Go.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2020 at 10:55 AM Post #232 of 6,285
Almost always correct, but Euphony on a NUC (ideally with a linear power supply) has been quoted as being competive with Antipodes. Add in RAM boot, Apacer Ram and an Optane M2 SSD and it might exceed the performance of the Antipodes under some circumstances. What DIY'ers cannot compete with is Sound Galleries Exteme or Pink Faun servers - which are a signficant step up apparently.

Anyhow, I think I have a good basis for comparision with the new 2Go.
i doubt it but whatever. Concerning pink faun sure lots of choices but I’m at end game, don’t need or want mscaler never mind 2go

Feb 19, 2020 at 11:44 AM Post #234 of 6,285
Feb 19, 2020 at 12:08 PM Post #236 of 6,285
I don't have much experience with any of the products listed, so nope. Just laughing at your salty "i doubt it but whatever" comment.

Couldn't remember if you're the guy that always brings up his server in every thread.
salty lol are fun glad you had one. Not sure what the point of any further discussion of this topic will accomplish, good luck finding that guy

Feb 19, 2020 at 2:58 PM Post #237 of 6,285
@Amberlamps is a fan of buying a barebones NUC, then adding the Roon software to it.

I second the suggestion for a NUC. If you are running Roon, then ROCK is a good way to go (might be just a touch techie to set up, but once it’s running there are zero issues and it updates itself automatically). If you think you might want to try other software, you can get a NUC with Windows installed and run Roon on that, which would then give you the options for trying other software (Euphony, HQPlayer, etc).

I got a NUC 8 i7 recently for $800, Windows preinstalled, so no chance of being underpowered for the foreseeable future:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07M62JVJH/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Yup, I have a Nuc 8 i7 8559U BEH model and it runs windows 10 with Roon server. I use my ipad or phone to navigate my way around the Roon ios app and in my opinion it's excellent. I should add that I use Qobuz Sublime streaming and my own local library with Roon, Qobuz is the schiit.

I also have JRiver media player installed, and again, I use my iphone and ipad to control it with the JRemote app. However, I'm starting to really dislike the JRiver company, as they always have their hand out for money and they hassle you for money via emails umpteen times a year, also JRiver has become bloatware and the yearly "new bloated version" doesn't warrant spending more money to update it.

Anyway;

The sound quality from my Nuc is excellent and thats using a USB cable straight into my MScaler and from there to my TT2 via Wave Stream BNC cables, and I cannot hear the difference between an optical or usb connection, they both sound exactly the same, it's called sounding excellent!!!

Nuc's are the future, and the future is now.

Feb 19, 2020 at 3:08 PM Post #238 of 6,285
Yup, I have a Nuc 8 i7 8559U BEH model and it runs windows 10 with Roon server. I use my ipad or phone to navigate my way around the Roon ios app and in my opinion it's excellent. I should add that I use Qobuz Sublime streaming and my own local library with Roon, Qobuz is the schiit.

I also have JRiver media player installed, and again, I use my iphone and ipad to control it with the JRemote app. However, I'm starting to really dislike the JRiver company, as they always have their hand out for money and they hassle you for money via emails umpteen times a year, also JRiver has become bloatware and the yearly "new bloated version" doesn't warrant spending more money to update it.

Anyway;

The sound quality from my Nuc is excellent and thats using a USB cable straight into my MScaler and from there to my TT2 via Wave Stream BNC cables, and I cannot hear the difference between an optical or usb connection, they both sound exactly the same, it's called sounding excellent!!!

Nuc's are the future, and the future is now.
I ran my Roon Core on a NUC8i7 with Win10 and found it snappier than Rock installed on the same NUC. It also let me run HQPlayer and JRiver server (for remote listening) which Rock would not. I thought the Roon sound oon the NUC/WIndows was a bit more open but who knows. Now I am running my Core on an Anitopes EX with HQPlayer and sound unmatched by the NUC and even mscaler.

Feb 19, 2020 at 3:35 PM Post #239 of 6,285
Feb 19, 2020 at 3:50 PM Post #240 of 6,285

Users who are viewing this thread

Back