Chord 2Go & 2Yu Wired/Wireless Network streamer and S/PDIF adaptor - Official thread
Jul 8, 2021 at 11:42 AM Post #5,611 of 6,265
Just found out from my Canadian dealer they have some 2yu coming in from the new(ish) US distributor. Ordered it (again) with some confidence now I will actually have it. Fingers crossed and looking forward to it.

Jul 9, 2021 at 1:48 PM Post #5,612 of 6,265
Low priced and very budget but this cable works very well to connect 2yu to Hugo2 over BNC.

I was getting some of the annoying RF buzz using a phono to 3.5mm cable for this connection but this one is totally silent (except for the music :) )

1625852851734.png

Jul 10, 2021 at 2:13 AM Post #5,613 of 6,265
Has anyone figured out how to get Apple lossless audio working with the 2GO?

Jul 10, 2021 at 7:20 AM Post #5,614 of 6,265
Have Chord sorted the problems with the 2Go yet? I had one for just over a week some 18+ months ago and the functionality was dire. Would not connect to Wifi but had to be connected with Cat 5 cable, which made the entire device pretty pointless. Qobuz streaming was not working, BBC streaming was not working and so on. The iOS control apps were just not properly integrated and kept losing connection plus you had to switch between two different apps. I sent it back for a refund. If it worked properly it would be a good companion to my Hugo 2 but in the state it was released or at least the state of its firmware, it was near useless. If it was fully sorted, I might give it another try or a #2Go.

Wilson

Jul 10, 2021 at 9:29 AM Post #5,615 of 6,265
Have Chord sorted the problems with the 2Go yet? I had one for just over a week some 18+ months ago and the functionality was dire. Would not connect to Wifi but had to be connected with Cat 5 cable, which made the entire device pretty pointless. Qobuz streaming was not working, BBC streaming was not working and so on. The iOS control apps were just not properly integrated and kept losing connection plus you had to switch between two different apps. I sent it back for a refund. If it worked properly it would be a good companion to my Hugo 2 but in the state it was released or at least the state of its firmware, it was near useless. If it was fully sorted, I might give it another try or a #2Go.
I would like to say 100% yes but I'm not sure if I'm being honest. For me I think I've just learnt to work around the issues that are still present, its certainly improved but I've adapted to it and made it work for me and we've met somewhere in the middle.

I wouldn't want to say its perfect and disappoint anyone though, give it another go a 2ndGo :) perhaps but be prepared to return it again would be my advise.

Jul 10, 2021 at 12:35 PM Post #5,616 of 6,265
I would like to say 100% yes but I'm not sure if I'm being honest. For me I think I've just learnt to work around the issues that are still present, its certainly improved but I've adapted to it and made it work for me and we've met somewhere in the middle.

I wouldn't want to say its perfect and disappoint anyone though, give it another go a 2ndGo :) perhaps but be prepared to return it again would be my advise.
Thanks for the honest update Mark. The problem is I cannot find another decent quality DAC-less portable music storage and wifi streamer device to use with my Hugo 2, other than the 2Go, if only it did what it said on the tin. I am not interested in a cobbled together Raspberry Pi device. I am currently using an Apple iPod Touch but it cannot stream anything above 44/16 and most times I come to use it, its battery is flat. At least I don't now have to use the Apple Camera dongle, with one of the clever Meenova lightning to Micro USB cables. The OPPO HA2-SE DAP was actually a better fit for me than my Hugo2, as it could also charge the iPod but mine was stolen and I am not going to buy a dubious second hand one, given it is out of production.

Wilson

Jul 10, 2021 at 12:52 PM Post #5,617 of 6,265
Have Chord sorted the problems with the 2Go yet?
No. Mine has never worked reliably on WiFi. The latest firmware update may have improved it a little bit, but it's still not reliable enough to provide trouble-free listening when streaming from my local server over Roon or UPnP/DLNA. There's been a change in US distributors and my Linn and Naim dealer who I trust is now also supporting Chord, so I'll be working with them to see if we can get to the bottom of the WiFi issue.

Jul 10, 2021 at 5:06 PM Post #5,618 of 6,265
Thanks for the honest update Mark. The problem is I cannot find another decent quality DAC-less portable music storage and wifi streamer device to use with my Hugo 2, other than the 2Go, if only it did what it said on the tin. I am not interested in a cobbled together Raspberry Pi device. I am currently using an Apple iPod Touch but it cannot stream anything above 44/16 and most times I come to use it, its battery is flat. At least I don't now have to use the Apple Camera dongle, with one of the clever Meenova lightning to Micro USB cables. The OPPO HA2-SE DAP was actually a better fit for me than my Hugo2, as it could also charge the iPod but mine was stolen and I am not going to buy a dubious second hand one, given it is out of production.

Wilson
F2B0E323-7570-4F8B-B5F6-93AFE6E1A31E.jpeg

No problem with hi rez files.

Jul 10, 2021 at 6:16 PM Post #5,619 of 6,265
Qobuz still only seems to allow a max of CD quality streaming via their iOS app, whereas I buy the Qobuz premium HD service, available via laptop streaming. Maybe now Apple is offering an HD service on certain iOS devices this may come later from Qobuz but not I fear on either my Gen. 6-128 or Gen. 7-256 iPod Touches. If this comes on an Gen.8 Touch, I will sell off my Gen.6 as the 128GB is not big enough anyway for my music library and get a 256GB Gen.8 Touch, when released. Qobuz CD quality streaming from the iPod Touch sounds a tad flat on the Hugo 2 to my Beyerdynamic T5P-2 phones compared with the same album at 96/24 via my M1 MacBook Air/Hugo2/T5P-2's, which has more sparkle. I can apparently download HDQ files from Qobuz and then play them HD via my iPod Touch but not stream in HD. I don't know if this is an iOS limitation or Qobuz.

Wilson

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2021 at 2:39 AM Post #5,620 of 6,265
I didn't see this officially mentioned anywhere but 2yu works as a PC digital output too when connected with a USB to micro USB cable and power of course. Hard to justify the cost of 2yu to perform just this task but I may be able to devise a use for this functionality. :wink:

1625985551051.png

Jul 11, 2021 at 2:45 AM Post #5,621 of 6,265
...Or if I can get a different DAC to report itself as "2yu" with some hackery perhaps I can connect that third party DAC directly to 2Go and bypass the need for a 2yu altogether.

Look away Chord, nothing to see here. :)

Jul 11, 2021 at 3:20 AM Post #5,623 of 6,265
Is the 2Yu just a Hugo 2 "Lite"?

Wilson
No not really, the 2yu isn't a DAC as such its just a USB to coax audio/toslink with a "sort of" USB passthrough to connect another USB DAC as well.

I'm assuming that the 2go has F/W that will only connect to devices that report themselves as "Hugo2" or "2yu" hence the need for a 2yu in the first place when connecting 2go to other non-Chord USB DAC's. 2yu works very well by the way over USB, I've only managed to find one DAC that 2yu didn't connect to.

Why did chord do this in 2go F/W? No idea but I'm sure its been discussed here and on other forums in the past.

Jul 11, 2021 at 11:17 AM Post #5,624 of 6,265
Qobuz still only seems to allow a max of CD quality streaming via their iOS app, whereas I buy the Qobuz premium HD service, available via laptop streaming. Maybe now Apple is offering an HD service on certain iOS devices this may come later from Qobuz but not I fear on either my Gen. 6-128 or Gen. 7-256 iPod Touches. If this comes on an Gen.8 Touch, I will sell off my Gen.6 as the 128GB is not big enough anyway for my music library and get a 256GB Gen.8 Touch, when released. Qobuz CD quality streaming from the iPod Touch sounds a tad flat on the Hugo 2 to my Beyerdynamic T5P-2 phones compared with the same album at 96/24 via my M1 MacBook Air/Hugo2/T5P-2's, which has more sparkle. I can apparently download HDQ files from Qobuz and then play them HD via my iPod Touch but not stream in HD. I don't know if this is an iOS limitation or Qobuz.

Wilson
Hi, Qobuz on iOS does allow you to stream up to 24bit/192 kHz on either mobile or WiFi.
You can access the setting in "my qobuz" => cog wheel icon on the upper right => streaming: here you choose the maximum audio quality you want to allow over WiFi or over the mobile network.

But now I realise I may I have misunderstood your point: from the iPhone to the Hugo 2 you will need either to use mConnect to stream to the 2Go or to use wired usb to the Hugo 2

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2021 at 1:34 PM Post #5,625 of 6,265
Hi, Qobuz on iOS does allow you to stream up to 24bit/192 kHz on either mobile or WiFi.
You can access the setting in "my qobuz" => cog wheel icon on the upper right => streaming: here you choose the maximum audio quality you want to allow over WiFi or over the mobile network.

But now I realise I may I have misunderstood your point: from the iPhone to the Hugo 2 you will need either to use mConnect to stream to the 2Go or to use wired usb to the Hugo 2
I changed the quality setting in on the cog on the Qobuz app on my Gen.7 iPod but that only changed the download setting to 96/24, the streaming quality still said "CD Quality", even though a higher quality for that Album was available. I will have to check tomorrow to see if it is a limitation of the Meenova cable I use to connect the iPod to my Hugo2 by replacing the Meenova cable with the Apple Camera adapter and USB-A to Micro USB lead. I am not using a 2Go, as I returned mine 18 months ago, when I could not get the WiFi to work and miscellaneous other problems. The audio output of the Hugo 2 is connected to Beyerdynamic T5P-2 headphones. I don't use the Hugo 2 as a static DAC, I use a Benchmark Media DAC-3L on my main system and a John Westlake upgraded Audiolabs M-DAC on my small system for that. I have also just noticed on my iPod that an update is available for the Qobuz app.

Wilson

PS. The update followed by signing off and signing back on again has cured the problem, even with the Meenova cable. Now streaming in HD - Happy Bunny 😒😒. W

Users who are viewing this thread

Back