Chord 2Go & 2Yu Wired/Wireless Network streamer and S/PDIF adaptor - Official thread
Jul 30, 2020 at 4:53 PM Post #3,721 of 6,265
So Day 3 in the hospital with my 15 year old recovering from his ruptured appendix. All good, he's healthy. But we are both bored out of our skulls. Some music would be a nice distraction...good thing I packed the H2Go when I made the quick trip home to shower and get some fresh clothes.

Wary of joining the public wifi I have been running the Mac and H2Go off of a shared iphone's personal hotspot connection, and it was working wonderfully for hours. Have been streaming YouTube music videos and live concert footage from the Mac via Airplay to the H2Go, and it is sounding quite good and very much passing the time. Better than just hooking up the Airpod Pros, right? Nice that 4G is having this good of bandwidth, almost surprising.

Worried I might be running the H2Go batteries low, I plugged it in.

You guessed it. I made it about 10 more minutes then the whole thing crapped itself. Mac is no longer showing 2Go as an audio Airplay option. Go Figure can't find the device at all any longer. Reboot H2Go, doesn't reconnect or fix anything. I rebooted both, right? I think so? Maybe I need to do them individually?

Unplug, do a few more reboot gymnastics because rebooting plugged in doesn't power down the 2Go. Restart GoFigure a couple of times. It doesn't reconnect to the iPhone's wifi. Try again, two more times, and on the third retry, whoops, it attached this time, almost by accident. 8-10 minutes of fiddling to get back too working. Because I plugged it in.

You might read from my previous posts that I have been very forgiving of these two Chord products, probably to a fault. When properly working, as noted by most, the SQ is so good that you can often overlook the warts.

But dude, being on power and this thing turns into a complete turd product? How is that possible? It's charging and presumably running off of power too, and trying to play music. Really shouldn't be complicated. This should be the ideal desktop product for all-day listening. But its battery doesn't last all day. And it doesn't work when on power.

Sorry, thought maybe I'd earned a gripe. Gripe spent either way.

Jul 30, 2020 at 5:10 PM Post #3,722 of 6,265
So Day 3 in the hospital with my 15 year old recovering from his ruptured appendix. All good, he's healthy. But we are both bored out of our skulls. Some music would be a nice distraction...good thing I packed the H2Go when I made the quick trip home to shower and get some fresh clothes.

Wary of joining the public wifi I have been running the Mac and H2Go off of a shared iphone's personal hotspot connection, and it was working wonderfully for hours. Have been streaming YouTube music videos and live concert footage from the Mac via Airplay to the H2Go, and it is sounding quite good and very much passing the time. Better than just hooking up the Airpod Pros, right? Nice that 4G is having this good of bandwidth, almost surprising.

Worried I might be running the H2Go batteries low, I plugged it in.

You guessed it. I made it about 10 more minutes then the whole thing crapped itself. Mac is no longer showing 2Go as an audio Airplay option. Go Figure can't find the device at all any longer. Reboot H2Go, doesn't reconnect or fix anything. I rebooted both, right? I think so? Maybe I need to do them individually?

Unplug, do a few more reboot gymnastics because rebooting plugged in doesn't power down the 2Go. Restart GoFigure a couple of times. It doesn't reconnect to the iPhone's wifi. Try again, two more times, and on the third retry, whoops, it attached this time, almost by accident. 8-10 minutes of fiddling to get back too working. Because I plugged it in.

You might read from my previous posts that I have been very forgiving of these two Chord products, probably to a fault. When properly working, as noted by most, the SQ is so good that you can often overlook the warts.

But dude, being on power and this thing turns into a complete turd product? How is that possible? It's charging and presumably running off of power too, and trying to play music. Really shouldn't be complicated. This should be the ideal desktop product for all-day listening. But its battery doesn't last all day. And it doesn't work when on power.

Sorry, thought maybe I'd earned a gripe. Gripe spent either way.
Welcome to the heaven and hell that is h2go

Jul 30, 2020 at 6:11 PM Post #3,724 of 6,265
All, are using any of the filters buttons on the Hugo with the 2Go? could not hear any difference, i'm with Hifiman HE1000SE and Denon D9200 headphones.

It’s super minimal and you need ears like a bird to notice anything... I use the orange filter because... ya know... orange.

I’m really surprised you guys can’t hear much difference between the filters. I use mainly Green and sometimes no filter. I never use the orange or red filters as it’s just too gloopy and uninvolving. I don’t know whether that means I’m tone deaf or you are! 😁

Different phones, different ears I guess. Reason why folk should use their own ears and not go by what others say.

Jul 30, 2020 at 6:15 PM Post #3,725 of 6,265
I’m really surprised you guys can’t hear much difference between the filters. I use mainly Green and sometimes no filter. I never use the orange or red filters as it’s just too gloopy and uninvolving. I don’t know whether that means I’m tone deaf or you are! 😁

Different phones, different ears I guess. Reason why folk should use their own ears and not go by what others say.
im probably deaf.

Jul 30, 2020 at 6:23 PM Post #3,726 of 6,265
I think many don't hear much difference with the filters because actually only two of them really makes much difference for most 'normal' tracks and that's Orange or Red, which is the warm filter.

So:

White is basically no filter.
Green is the same as White but with high frequency rolloff. The HF rolloff only kicks in on high res music like when playing DSD to get rid of some inherent high frequency noise only on high resolution tracks.
Orange is the warm filter.
Red is the same as Orange but with high frequency rolloff. The HF rolloff only kicks in on high res music like when playing DSD to get rid of some inherent high frequency noise only on high resolution tracks.

Personally, I use Red most of the time since as 'tube' like as possible for me is good.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2020 at 3:37 AM Post #3,727 of 6,265
The OT conversations in this thread's been cleaned up. Next time please stop feeding the trolls and just report.

Jul 31, 2020 at 3:40 AM Post #3,728 of 6,265
Just hauled out this tiny tube pre amp made by fx audio with some upgraded tubes. I think it cost me something like 80 euros with the xtra tubes last year on the German amazon. Stuck it between the h2go and the devialet reactors....
OMG!!
20200731_124451.jpg
I've got a proper custom tube pre on order..gawd, there's no going back after listening to a tubed setup. Guys, give it a shot with a cheapo like mine first, betcha you'll be hooked!

Jul 31, 2020 at 7:36 AM Post #3,730 of 6,265
...Rob may measure in the lab but there are many cognitive things that happen with sound we really dont understand yet.... reason I do not pay attention to ANY measurement reporting etc... Darko etc ignore this... all about the experience... lab BS is catering to the .0000000001%.... can never grow a big meaningful company if this is your goal.
This is why I like the Hans B channel so much, he’s an old school tech head ‘dad’ and just KNOWS there’s stuff out there beyond measurements that he’s been feeling for years but only recently is getting acknowledged by vendors and industry players

Jul 31, 2020 at 9:07 AM Post #3,731 of 6,265
You're welcome.

@Mark S I can take a look for the Mac Os solution but for now I can't test without the 2Yu I'm waiting for.
I know I've said it before, but the fact that you need the frankendongle 2yu in order to make Chord's kit interwork WITH ITSELF disturbs me greatly. The only excuse for such a horrible-looking thing should be to enable the 2go to work with 3rd party products.

The flagship digital front end, at the moment, would have to be:

2go + 2yu >> Mscaler >> DAVE

The form factor mixture is just nuts. Even with Chord's ridiculously expensive legs you're never going to stack that lot tidily. Even the Mscaler and DAVE by themselves cannot be stacked sensibly.

Add to that the fact that the 2go + 2yu plugged into power and ethernet would have cables flying out of three sides. That is, of course, if you dare operate it while on power.

I really don't get it.

Surely they are going to have to rationalise all this with new products: a streamer and an upsampler in the DAVE format, and a streamer in the TT format.

Jul 31, 2020 at 11:34 AM Post #3,732 of 6,265
I know I've said it before, but the fact that you need the frankendongle 2yu in order to make Chord's kit interwork WITH ITSELF disturbs me greatly. The only excuse for such a horrible-looking thing should be to enable the 2go to work with 3rd party products.

The flagship digital front end, at the moment, would have to be:

2go + 2yu >> Mscaler >> DAVE

The form factor mixture is just nuts. Even with Chord's ridiculously expensive legs you're never going to stack that lot tidily. Even the Mscaler and DAVE by themselves cannot be stacked sensibly.

Add to that the fact that the 2go + 2yu plugged into power and ethernet would have cables flying out of three sides. That is, of course, if you dare operate it while on power.

I really don't get it.

Surely they are going to have to rationalise all this with new products: a streamer and an upsampler in the DAVE format, and a streamer in the TT format.
Plus if Chord ever produced a 2scalar that could sandwich between the 2go and the Hugo 2, I would buy it in a heartbeat. IN A HEARTBEAT.

Jul 31, 2020 at 11:41 AM Post #3,733 of 6,265
Plus if Chord ever produced a 2scalar that could sandwich between the 2go and the Hugo 2, I would buy it in a heartbeat. IN A HEARTBEAT.
I can just imagine that melting a hole in my desk and plunging down into the core of the planet.

Listened to the hugo2go for a couple of hours today on 'desktop' purple power mode and by the end of it it was too hot to pick up. if they added a 2scalar omg . seriously the electric board would be ringing me up asking if anything was wrong with my meter.

Jul 31, 2020 at 1:13 PM Post #3,734 of 6,265
I can just imagine that melting a hole in my desk and plunging down into the core of the planet.

Listened to the hugo2go for a couple of hours today on 'desktop' purple power mode and by the end of it it was too hot to pick up. if they added a 2scalar omg . seriously the electric board would be ringing me up asking if anything was wrong with my meter.
Standing the rig on edge would probably help - some small dots of blutack stuck to the desk would stabilise it. Or put it on a small photograph stand.

All that heat being produced is, of course, being taken from the charge in the batteries. Any reduction in that energy consumption would greatly extend the battery life.

Electronics, especially electrolytic capacitors, do not appreciate running at high temperatures for extended periods.

Jul 31, 2020 at 2:31 PM Post #3,735 of 6,265
Standing the rig on edge would probably help - some small dots of blutack stuck to the desk would stabilise it. Or put it on a small photograph stand.

All that heat being produced is, of course, being taken from the charge in the batteries. Any reduction in that energy consumption would greatly extend the battery life.

Electronics, especially electrolytic capacitors, do not appreciate running at high temperatures for extended periods.
Having said that, be careful you don't accidently press the config button on the 2go!

I just did exactly that. The music stopped, and a creepy voice bellowed into my ears about changing mode. I had to shut the rig down and wait for the 2go to go off completely. I then had to reconnect gofigure over Bluetooth, and wait while it loaded 200 playlists in the music hub. Only then could I start the music again. This all took at least ten minutes. Not smooth.

I haven't had to use the config button before now so I hadn't really noticed that it actually stands proud of the 2go case and so is vulnerable to being pressed accidently. I think it should be slightly recessed. A circuit board mod is needed here. Or a case mod to surround the button with a collar to prevent it being pressed.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back