Chord 2Go & 2Yu Wired/Wireless Network streamer and S/PDIF adaptor - Official thread
May 22, 2020 at 6:22 AM Post #2,161 of 6,285
The best practice promoted on the Mojo and Hugo2 threads for the past 4 years, is that if you must play and charge at the same time, then make sure that the batteries are topped up first, because then virtually all the heat will be generated by the music processing, and only a few % by the battery charging.

The worst practice is to play and charge, but starting from a near empty battery, because that will generate the most heat, and can trip the thermal protection shutdown circuits.
Maybe I miss the point, if the battery already topped up, why it needs to be charged during playback?

May 22, 2020 at 6:42 AM Post #2,162 of 6,285
Maybe I miss the point, if the battery already topped up, why it needs to be charged during playback?

It doesn't need to be charged. Plugging in the unit keeps the battery from discharging. This way you can keep on using it to play music as long as you like, without needing to charge. You're trying to avoid playing and charging at the same time which can cause overheating.

This is if you are going to use it for a long time, past the battery life. If you are just playing within the battery life and won't need it again until you can charge without playing, you're fine.

May 22, 2020 at 7:04 AM Post #2,163 of 6,285
The rationale/numbers also explain why when owners post that their Hugo2 is running hot, the response back is 'is your battery nearly empty?'.

For owners it is much less trouble to top up a low battery, than to return the Hugo2 to their dealers.

Last edited:
May 22, 2020 at 10:49 AM Post #2,164 of 6,285
May 22, 2020 at 1:18 PM Post #2,165 of 6,285
Assuming 2yu is connected to TT2 or DAVE from all available connection interfaces what is the SQ preference order ( USB , RCA, BNC ) ?
I'm currently using USB connector from pro-ject stream box s2 ultra >>> Chord Dave. Wonder if 2GO2yu solution would present noticeable sonic differences compared to Pro-Ject Stream.

Thanks much

May 22, 2020 at 2:02 PM Post #2,167 of 6,285
I apologize, as this is probably a stupid question, but I'm confused. It's re: the charging and listening stuff. Here's what I think I understand. Please let me know if I'm off-base or on-target, friends!
  • If the battery is not at 100%, avoid charging AND listening. Better to power it off, and let it charge, then get back to business.
  • If the battery is near 0% it's a really bad idea to listen. Things will get very hot as the battery charges and the unit does its audio work.
  • If the battery is at 100%, knock yourself out. Listen with the power plug connected - it'll draw from the AC line, not the battery.
And in the last scenario, is this only when the ball goes 'magenta'? Or is this true if the ball is white too?

FWIW, my H2go runs warm. Not hot per se, but warm. In fact, it gets plenty warm just sitting around doing nothing - if it's powered on. As a result, I usually power it off via the remote when I'm done listening.

Doody

May 22, 2020 at 3:36 PM Post #2,168 of 6,285
I apologize, as this is probably a stupid question, but I'm confused. It's re: the charging and listening stuff. Here's what I think I understand. Please let me know if I'm off-base or on-target, friends!
  • If the battery is not at 100%, avoid charging AND listening. Better to power it off, and let it charge, then get back to business.
  • If the battery is near 0% it's a really bad idea to listen. Things will get very hot as the battery charges and the unit does its audio work.
  • If the battery is at 100%, knock yourself out. Listen with the power plug connected - it'll draw from the AC line, not the battery.
And in the last scenario, is this only when the ball goes 'magenta'? Or is this true if the ball is white too?

FWIW, my H2go runs warm. Not hot per se, but warm. In fact, it gets plenty warm just sitting around doing nothing - if it's powered on. As a result, I usually power it off via the remote when I'm done listening.

Doody

regarding your last, magenta means if I understand it is in desktop mode Once it been connected to mains for 24 hous, hence power from the AC not battery, it still get very hot, white if it is charging or not yet in desktop mode, either way it gets hot 🥵 not sure why but probably because the 2GO is on all tve time unlessswitched of on the small button on the side....unless I am missed something

May 22, 2020 at 3:59 PM Post #2,169 of 6,285
Guys, I've found the solution to all of my troubles, apart from the Hi Res squealing. One app is just a country mile ahead of every other one I've tried. And... it starts with 'R.'

Nope, not Roon.

Rigelian.

It's so good that I wondered why more people don't talk about it here. I realized, I think it's because it's IOS/Mac only. So, if you're on Android/PC don't read any further. It will only make you sad. But, if you're on IOS, this is it.

It takes some work to set it up. At least it did for me, especially because all of my artwork was embedded. So, I had to put all my files into a folder structure and extract the cover art to the folders. A good metadata tagger like Yate can automate this process, but, you also need some scripts to make this work. All my custom artwork shows up perfectly now and anything missing, along with Artists view, is populated by Discogs with biographical information.

I love the the mechanics of the app and the whole way it's arranged. On an iPad, this is one of the best user experiences I've ever had with any music library ever.

The clincher for me is that it's also offered, far and away, the fastest and most reliable operation. The connection has never locked quicker and been more stable. The icing on the cake was that I went to the App Store and there is a Mac OS version! The iPhone, iPad, and Mac versions all share the same UI, which is fantastic.

The downside of Rigelian is that it is only offered on a subscription basis (that, and the era Windows95 icon). The developer gives the usual boilerplate justification as ongoing money is needed for continued development. I think the money itself also has something to do with it too. However, you can clearly see how an app that is undergoing active development is clearly superior to apps that aren't. Fortunately, the cost is $3.49 a year across all platforms, so it's like Roon–if you live another 200 years. There's a stripped down free version to try out as well.

The app has some minor glitches but, in Rigelian, I finally feel like the 2Go has a finished UX.

I'm gong to stop here, because I'm know I'm sounding like a total shill. I have no affiliation to this product and I just found it last night. Full confession, since I found it, I haven't slept.

I agree. The only thing giving me trouble is multi disc sets, but I asked about this, and the developer responded within 12 hours indicating that he is working on that. I asked him another question and he responded very promptly. For me this software is the best way to play files on the sd cards, and when you switch between cards, hitting update in Rigelian immediately loads the albums from the selected card.

May 22, 2020 at 4:14 PM Post #2,170 of 6,285
Blimey,

I have just watched the only two reviews I can find on You Tube, one by John Darko and the other by Audio-KH, they are poles apart about the 2 Go, which one is telling the truth and do you guys believe is the right review?

the Audio-KH guy is right about a bunch of things. No USB C, long charging, glitchy firmware, poor and problematic connectivity. I must admit that is all true. My first post here about the combo expresses similar frustration, but when the 2Go/Hugo2 works, it sounds very good, and sounds better than the W11 (I like Woo and own other Woo stuff).

After several days, I think I have got the 2Go/Hugo2 working decently, but there are definitely problems with consistent stability. And it isn’t user friendly at all. Indeed, this experience really makes you realize how incredible Apple is with its UI and user related design competence. The 2Go/Hug02 is not totally incompetent, but it teases a lot because of the glitchiness. It takes a lot of work to get it running. He’s right that we are the mice (beta testers) for this thing. I definitely think the firmware needs work. If money is not an issue and you have some time, go for it, but if the cost is a factor or you want turn key, then look elsewhere. I changed my mind and am keeping mine. Also, if you go for it, try Rigelian as a player for sd card music and mconnectHD for streaming sources.

May 22, 2020 at 4:40 PM Post #2,171 of 6,285
Does anyone know if there is a 4Gb maximum file limit on the SD Card playback?

I have a track that is over 4Gb (Anne-Sophie Mutter, Tchaikovsky Violin Concerto in D, Allegro Moderato). It's a 19 minute track but only 3 minutes of it shows up. I've copied it to the SDCard a few times, checked the file, reencoded, but it keeps showing up as truncated. It doesn't matter which app I use to try and play it. I reencoded it in 16bit instead of 24bit to bring the file size from 4.5Gb to 3.5Gb, and it reads and plays fine.

May 22, 2020 at 5:04 PM Post #2,172 of 6,285

Or, just listen to music from battery w/o charging. I know you didn't spell this out because it's AKA normal usage. I mention it because my tendency is that if I'm listening to music and I'm not at 100%–but near power–I want to plug in. Usually that is the smart thing because you save battery cycles and you're all charged up for when you're away from power. It's a good habit, but not for the H2Go.

May 22, 2020 at 5:06 PM Post #2,173 of 6,285

I have a track that is over 4Gb (Anne-Sophie Mutter, Tchaikovsky Violin Concerto in D, Allegro Moderato). It's a 19 minute track but only 3 minutes of it shows up. I've copied it to the SDCard a few times, checked the file, reencoded, but it keeps showing up as truncated. It doesn't matter which app I use to try and play it. I reencoded it in 16bit instead of 24bit to bring the file size from 4.5Gb to 3.5Gb, and it reads and plays fine.
If I had to hazard a wild guess, you formatted the card FAT32 not ExFAT. FAT32 has a 4GB file size limitation. ExFAT is what you want.

Doody

May 22, 2020 at 5:20 PM Post #2,174 of 6,285
If I had to hazard a wild guess, you formatted the card FAT32 not ExFAT. FAT32 has a 4GB file size limitation. ExFAT is what you want.
Doody

Yeah definitely, that would make the most sense. The thing is the card is ExFAT. The file would never have written onto the card if it was FAT32.

I'm not sure where the limitation is. For now Anne-Sophie is just going to have to suffer being heard at 16bit (sigh). Just kidding, even I'm not trying too hard to track this one down.

May 22, 2020 at 5:23 PM Post #2,175 of 6,285

I have the same and no issues. Could it be the card?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back