Chord 2Go & 2Yu Wired/Wireless Network streamer and S/PDIF adaptor - Official thread
May 21, 2020 at 3:31 PM Post #2,147 of 6,265
Interesting to read about all these issues and then someone like Darko posting a glowing "review" not mentioning the problems.

It is because reviewers are bought and paid. Even the Chord Poly got 5 stars at launch from “professional” reviewers.

The only reviewer I somewhat trusted was Tyll but he quit the game.

May 21, 2020 at 3:40 PM Post #2,148 of 6,265
Have been in the hope to get a Poly of 2Go for some time. I was only ever intent on using SD-card playback. Help
Interesting to read about all these issues and then someone like Darko posting a glowing "review" not mentioning the problems.

It's possible that Darko had a fault free 2Go experience. Some users are reporting their 2Go runs perfectly.

May 21, 2020 at 3:46 PM Post #2,149 of 6,265
Have been in the hope to get a Poly of 2Go for some time. I was only ever intent on using SD-card playback. Help

It's possible that Darko had a fault free 2Go experience. Some users are reporting their 2Go runs perfectly.

I have been threw multiple 2GO units and all had the same problem. So I don't believe it if people say that there unit is perfect :)

May 21, 2020 at 4:25 PM Post #2,150 of 6,265
I have been threw multiple 2GO units and all had the same problem. So I don't believe it if people say that there unit is perfect :)
Then I guess I must be a bald-faced liar. :ksc75smile:

Actually, I have one problem of dropping off when switching between WiFi transmitters, but only occasionally. I contacted support who said they were aware of the issue and working on a fix.

May 21, 2020 at 5:47 PM Post #2,152 of 6,265
Then I guess I must be a bald-faced liar. :ksc75smile:

Actually, I have one problem of dropping off when switching between WiFi transmitters, but only occasionally. I contacted support who said they were aware of the issue and working on a fix.

Bases on my own experience, swapping for new 2GO units is pointless as they all had the same issues.

So I don’t believe anyone who claims their 2GO works perfect. There also have been a few guys in this thread who said their 2GO was fine but then later also reported problems :p

I can try swapping my unit a couple of times again with new ones, but I know what the outcome of that process will be.

May 21, 2020 at 6:26 PM Post #2,153 of 6,265
I remaster all my music files using extensive DSP so I can take them with me portably. Otherwise I would always need to be tethered to a computer for real-time processing. (Wifi doesn't have the bandwidth to stream these files).

My files go through EQ and one stage of convolution to correct my headphones, then upmixing from stereo to 5.1, then a second stage of convolution to send the 6 channels to virtual speakers, which is downmixed back to stereo and then upsampled to high resolution.

what the

May 21, 2020 at 7:11 PM Post #2,154 of 6,265
LOL
No case for me, she gets too hot as it is,.....charging with 2GO even in desktop mode is HOT, I went on a picnic today and used hotspot mode....also very hot I and realised, no way to play tidal or qobuz even if downloaded to your phone using your data...hmmm please Chord make this better this is a killer future needed,,,, seriously, we need software improvement ASAP, that said as feedback.... heard no vinyl quirps while using SD card hotspot mode using my data service ( company pays :wink:! Though back home continuously while Tidal or Qobuz is the Vinyl Clics and Quirps.....this is as I amlistening only HD800!
Please do needful! BETA Tester.....

May 21, 2020 at 8:24 PM Post #2,155 of 6,265
Wow, no wonder you have squealing :)
Many ensure bit perfect playback from master, and you do this!
Hope you get it sorted, but stereo to multi-channel and back is not normal usage my friend!

I left bit perfect a long, long, long time ago. I'm a huge fan of DSP, but you have to know what you're doing with audio engineering.

My processing is–definitely–not normal, but neither is the squealing. I've used these files in countless devices and have never encountered this issue, or any other issue, because of this:

When you take a wav file through upmixing (2 channel to 5.1) and mix it back down to a 2 channel wav file, what you get is: a wav file. The audio content is altered; the playback function is identical. I'm using Nugen for the upmixing portion. It's what they use at little places like Disney, BBC, Skywalker Sound. The tools I use are the same ones that mastered the tracks in your library in the first place. But, even if I was using no name freeware, it would not cause this issue.

The squealing has to do with the sample rate.

Last edited:
May 21, 2020 at 8:37 PM Post #2,156 of 6,265
LOL
No case for me, she gets too hot as it is,.....charging with 2GO even in desktop mode is HOT, I went on a picnic today and used hotspot mode....also very hot I and realised, no way to play tidal or qobuz even if downloaded to your phone using your data...hmmm please Chord make this better this is a killer future needed,,,, seriously, we need software improvement ASAP, that said as feedback.... heard no vinyl quirps while using SD card hotspot mode using my data service ( company pays :wink:! Though back home continuously while Tidal or Qobuz is the Vinyl Clics and Quirps.....this is as I amlistening only HD800!
Can the SD card be accessible via Bluetooth from phone? At least?

May 21, 2020 at 8:43 PM Post #2,157 of 6,265
edwardsean said:
I remaster all my music files using extensive DSP so I can take them with me portably. Otherwise I would always need to be tethered to a computer for real-time processing. (Wifi doesn't have the bandwidth to stream these files).

My files go through EQ and one stage of convolution to correct my headphones, then upmixing from stereo to 5.1, then a second stage of convolution to send the 6 channels to virtual speakers, which is downmixed back to stereo and then upsampled to high resolution.

There is such a smile on my face right now.

I truly appreciate the skepticism toward DSP. I'm sure most of us have gone through the loop where you get excited about EQ and virtual "3D" audio, only to realize, this is degrading my sound. There is a world of difference between consumer grade DSP and professional DSP, but more importantly, as I said before, you really have to know what you're doing.

I agree that, without experience and skill, you are much more likely to lose than gain, and the more DSP, the more of a mess! Far better to stay with bitperfect and take advantage of the skill and experience of the audio engineers that produced your file.

However, the results from what I sketched above are... fabulous. Back on topic. With the H2Go these DSP files at 768KHz are sublime, and then the squealing, and then sublime.

May 21, 2020 at 10:21 PM Post #2,158 of 6,265
LOL
Charging with 2go is really HOT!! At first time I just thinking is there any problem about the battery? I know charging battery will be hot, just like charging phone, but not that kind of 🔥!! The case will even prohibit the heat dissipation, so I will skip the case too. Maybe i will consider purchase a loose bag for 2go + Hugo2, after major issues have been fixed.

May 21, 2020 at 10:31 PM Post #2,159 of 6,265
Charging with 2go is really HOT!! At first time I just thinking is there any problem about the battery? I know charging battery will be hot, just like charging phone, but not that kind of 🔥!! The case will even prohibit the heat dissipation, so I will skip the case too. Maybe i will consider purchase a loose bag for 2go + Hugo2, after major issues have been fixed.

I've found if I'm charging and playing files at the same time it really gets burning. This doesn't worry me about damaging any components on the PCB. They are rated for much higher temps. However, this kind of heat will degrade the batteries more quickly over time.

It may be a best practice, if possible, to avoid charging and playing, and either go battery or first top off the unit if you're going to plug in.

May 22, 2020 at 6:14 AM Post #2,160 of 6,265
It may be a best practice, if possible, to avoid charging and playing, and either go battery or first top off the unit if you're going to plug in.
The best practice promoted on the Mojo and Hugo2 threads for the past 4 years, is that if you must play and charge at the same time, then make sure that the batteries are topped up first, because then virtually all the heat will be generated by the music processing, and only a few % by the battery charging.

The worst practice is to play and charge, but starting from a near empty battery, because that will generate the most heat, and can trip the thermal protection shutdown circuits.

For partial explanation see Robs post

"Just to give you some numbers - fully charged and matching Mojo's current draw the power dissipation is 107 mW for the charger circuit. That will increase running temperature by less than 1 deg C. But at flashing red it is 910 mW for the power dissipation in the charger. "

So charging from flashing red, the charger circuit generates almost 9 times as much heat, compared to if the battery is near full first.

The same rationale applies to Hugo 2 as well, but the numbers will be different.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back