Chopin--why doesn't he get too much respect here?
Jan 26, 2009 at 5:07 PM Post #31 of 76
He is a staple of the romantic period. Most of his respect and appreciation is assumed. It is some of the single most emotional music you can find. Rubenstein and Pollini are the best two choices.

Jan 26, 2009 at 5:39 PM Post #32 of 76
I love Chopin and so does my mother (who introduced me to him as a child). Excellent music and I feel an underrated and not often enough mentioned composer and musician.

Jan 26, 2009 at 5:44 PM Post #33 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Taikero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love Chopin and so does my mother (who introduced me to him as a child). Excellent music and I feel an underrated and not often enough mentioned composer and musician.

I am not familiar with a lot of his full compositions but I am very familiar with most of his piano works. One explanation could be his story isn't very interesting or flambouyant...so there isn't a movie about him. And if there isn't a movie about it it's not worth knowing right!? :p

Correct me if I'm wrong but he was also more of a pianist so among classical piano students he is a god. I bet 80% of classical piano student since his birth/death throughout the world have played one of his compositions. He was considered one of the best even when he was a child arguably topping Mozart on the piano.

Jan 26, 2009 at 6:37 PM Post #34 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoDak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am not familiar with a lot of his full compositions but I am very familiar with most of his piano works. One explanation could be his story isn't very interesting or flambouyant...so there isn't a movie about him. And if there isn't a movie about it it's not worth knowing right!? :p

Correct me if I'm wrong but he was also more of a pianist so among classical piano students he is a god. I bet 80% of classical piano student since his birth/death throughout the world have played one of his compositions. He was considered one of the best even when he was a child arguably topping Mozart on the piano.

I actually do think there have been a couple lower budget movies about him. More educational than entertaining though.

He was primarily a composer for the piano alone, but a damn good one. My mother taught piano (although I never quite learned to read music, so piano isn't something I'm super great at, but I love the sound all the same) for years, and her favorite composer is by far Chopin. She says his music is more emotionally involving than most other classical works, and I agree that for the piano, he's pretty hard to beat. It's a shame he didn't have more works outside solo piano compositions, IMO. Perhaps he would have if he hadn't died as he did.

Jan 26, 2009 at 7:07 PM Post #35 of 76
Ogden is fun with Chopin. I never realised you could spank a Steinway that hard until I saw him play the Revolutionary, although it only lasted a couple seconds at the pace he was playing. And so what if the notes are only approximately right?

As an aside, one massive advantage with Chopin over many other composers for the piano is that all the keys come easily (relatively speaking) to the hand and that allows the pianist a little more brain space for expression.

Jan 26, 2009 at 8:35 PM Post #36 of 76
I've seen at least one movie with Chopin as a character. It wasn't about him though, but about the group of artists from the time. It was set shortly before his death. I can't remember the name and it's probably been 20 years since I've seen it.

Edit: The only thing with him as a character that I could find in IMDB was Lisztomania, which is not what I was thinking of.

Jan 26, 2009 at 10:53 PM Post #37 of 76
I also happen to believe Rubinstein is the best Chopin-ian out there. His poetic style seems to complement Chopin real well. Actually, I'll go on to say that Rubinstein is to Chopin as what Schnabel is to Beethoven. He may not be the best at all Chopin's pieces but when I listen his performances and listen to others such as Pollini, Ashkenazy, Argerich and Perahia, I can't help but think that nobody understands Chopin better than Rubinstein.

One of my personal favorite pieces are Chopin's piano concertos. So far, I've listened to Argerich, Pollini, Murray and Pires and my vote goes out to Murray's. Of course, Zubin Mehta does a fine job leading the Israel Philharmonic Orchestra.

51XND46QKCL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Jan 26, 2009 at 11:06 PM Post #38 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh, and for the greater discussion of chopin's greatness, I would posit not his ballades, his preludes, his sonatas, but rather his Mazurka's are his greatest contribution. Most other music "tells" you how to feel, it gives you directives on what the composer is trying to elicit. But not the Mazurkas. They are completely ambivalent. You listen to them and they resonate with the modern consciousness by virtue of being music of depth, but which are completely open to any interpretation of your own personal story. No other music I can think of is so subjective.

That is what I exactly feel about his Preludes. Although I equally love his Mazurkas and Waltzes, it is Preludes that seems to mirror my emotions at any given moment.

Jan 27, 2009 at 2:06 AM Post #39 of 76
While I am waiting for my Cortot/EMI collection to arrive..........

Since we have mentioned Rubinstein here several times......
There is an insane bargain for the Rubinstein/RCA Chopin collection at Amazon, brand new 11 Cds for $22, I picked one up a few months ago (and mentioned earlier in this thread) but thought I should alert collectors here who like a bargain
wink_face.gif

61SZqp0FHAL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Also ordered a used copy of that Michelangeli/DG mazurka CD mentioned earlier here......

Jan 27, 2009 at 4:13 AM Post #40 of 76
I listen to classical and prefer Chopin, have quite a number of CD's, many byRubenstein and Horowitz( click..for Horwitz Polonaise YouTube performance)..I have several by Phillipe Entremont that I enjoy, he is a very talented musician and conductor. Particularly enjoy Polonaise.

click here

Jan 27, 2009 at 4:48 AM Post #41 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
While I am waiting for my Cortot/EMI collection to arrive..........

Since we have mentioned Rubinstein here several times......
There is an insane bargain for the Rubinstein/RCA Chopin collection at Amazon, brand new 11 Cds for $22, I picked one up a few months ago (and mentioned earlier in this thread) but thought I should alert collectors here who like a bargain
wink_face.gif

61SZqp0FHAL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Also ordered a used copy of that Michelangeli/DG mazurka CD mentioned earlier here......

I wonder if that's culled from the big commemorative box set RCA issued after Rubinstein died? I have that set so I can resist this one.

Meanwhile, if anyone is interested in a newer top notch recording of the Préludes, they should consider Alexandre Tharaud's recording. It's superb and the sound quality is fantastic. By now the prices for it should have fallen considerably. Btw, his earlier recording of the Waltzes is also excellent.

51gR2ANx3qL._SS400_.jpg
41CBVAP4TNL._SS400_.jpg

Jan 27, 2009 at 5:49 AM Post #42 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunnyears /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Meanwhile, if anyone is interested in a newer top notch recording of the Préludes, they should consider Alexandre Tharaud's recording. It's superb and the sound quality is fantastic. By now the prices for it should have fallen considerably. Btw, his earlier recording of the Waltzes is also excellent.

Actually, I've been eyeing his Chopin recordings for some time now and most likely pick these up in a few days. I have his Bach recordings and was very impressed at how lyrical it was. Even though they were Baroque pieces, I could definitely sniff out a sense of romanticism in his interpretation. Very moving.

If anybody's interested in another great Preludes recording, I whole heartily recommend Maria Joao Pires's. She doesn't sacrifice any sophistication while effectively telling the stories here. Her concertos No. 2 is also a top notch performance with Andre Previn.

13af225b9da0ad4f52c81110.L.jpg

Jan 27, 2009 at 9:01 AM Post #43 of 76
Chopin--why doesn't he get too much respect here?

I heard he bought a pair of Grado SR60s and never paypalled the money.

Feb 1, 2009 at 2:41 PM Post #44 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by calaf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
one of the first LP of classical music I bought as a teenager is Benedetti-Michelangeli collection of Mazurkas
41FVV0RWPCL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Thirty year later, in spite of many scratches and fuzzy sonics, it is still one of my desert island recordings: noble, immaculate, but so full of electricity. Definitely not salon Chopin...

Note quite sure what is generally meant by salon Chopin (flashy style over substance? ie Agerich) but the Michelangeli Chopin CD has the best Mazurka performances I have heard so far....magically animated and full of color, makes even Rubinstein sound earthbound by comparison, essential Chopin CD for me

I am going back in time to discover the essence of Chopin, the Dinu Lipatti waltzes had a similar impact on me compared to many other versions I have heard, almost a lost art of Chopin performance.......waiting for Cortot collection to arrive

Feb 1, 2009 at 5:34 PM Post #45 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Note quite sure what is generally meant by salon Chopin (flashy style over substance? ie Agerich) but the Michelangeli Chopin CD has the best Mazurka performances I have heard so far....magically animated and full of color, makes even Rubinstein sound earthbound by comparison, essential Chopin CD for me

I am going back in time to discover the essence of Chopin, the Dinu Lipatti waltzes had a similar impact on me compared to many other versions I have heard, almost a lost art of Chopin performance.......waiting for Cortot collection to arrive

Martha Argerich is not salon Chopin, which I believe refers to a lower technical level as well as a smaller scale. Salon Chopin is the Chopin that a coffeehouse pianist produces as background music. In some countries this can be on an extremely high level, but in most countries it's just an underemployed musician trying to earn some extra, much needed cash.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back