Choosing new headphones
May 22, 2012 at 8:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

shwaabz

New Head-Fier
i've been looking for a good pair of headphones for under around 230$ 
I listen to a varying range of music in the rock genre, everything from the beatles to the used 
I do not write this post to annoy anyone but i have been researching different headphones for atleast an hour a day for the past 3 weeks. 
The headphones i've peaked an interest in are: ath-m50, ath-a900, ath ad-900, ath-pro700mk2, grado 225i's, sennheiser 558,580 and 598s
 i dont have much of a preference for open or closed so it will not affect my purchase
i will take all advice given  into consideration because who knows more then you all!
also though i would like to know the best out of what  i listed i will take into consideration any others that aren't listed if recommended in  the comments 
I dont want over powered bass just accurate bass, i will not use a dac or portable amplifier for the time being, just the best realistic sound with as little distortion as possible. The size of the headphones does not matter all i care about is the sound i may walk around with them on but this will not change my opinion in deciding between open or closed backs or weight. i would like a semi confortable over ear headphone 
  Thanks for any help in advance!!

May 22, 2012 at 9:07 PM Post #2 of 13
The Grado 225i is probably a good choice for you because it goes well with the music you like, matches the description you made, is relatively forgiving and is very efficient so will still sound decent without a dedicated amplifier (I.e. from an ipod or PC).
Of course, upgrading the DAC and amp stage is always going to improve things, if you feel the need to down the track.

May 22, 2012 at 9:10 PM Post #3 of 13
if you can find a cheap, used pair like under 150usd-- the hd580 is a good choice as well and you still have enough change to buy a dac/amp like the FiiO E10 if youre just going to use the headphones through an onboard soundcard.

May 22, 2012 at 10:16 PM Post #6 of 13
the 580 and the 225 leaks alot due to its open design. the louder the volume, more sound leakage comes out from the headphones.

May 22, 2012 at 10:26 PM Post #7 of 13
I'd recommend the HD598s.  Great comfortable pair that happen to work wonderfully with the Beatles and like music.  These are my go to headphones for most genres apart from metal and electronica.  As for open headphone leakage.  What you hear they hear.  The grados are especially bad at this.  

May 22, 2012 at 10:49 PM Post #8 of 13
Seen as you've asked about leakage and you also said you may move around in them, also consider something like the Beyerdynamic T50p. It's another efficient one and will work well straight from an ipod or PC.

May 22, 2012 at 11:04 PM Post #9 of 13
X2 on HD 598!

Also, the HD 580 has a high nominal impedance (300 Ω) so you may want to pair it with an amp. On the other hand, the impedance for both the HD 598 and HD 558 is only 50 Ω hence they don't really need to be driven by an amp. Between the HD 598 and HD 558, the former is a step up from the lower model in terms of both sound and comfort.

Quote:
I'd recommend the HD598s.  Great comfortable pair that happen to work wonderfully with the Beatles and like music.  These are my go to headphones for most genres apart from metal and electronica.  As for open headphone leakage.  What you hear they hear.  The grados are especially bad at this.

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
May 22, 2012 at 11:19 PM Post #10 of 13
You need low impedance headphones and Sennheiser (HD558, HD598), Grado(SR325i, SR225i), Denon(D2000 highly recommended), Beyerdynamic( DT880 32Ohm) are good to start for portable and home use.

Jun 7, 2012 at 12:43 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:
went with a used pair of grado 325is, couldnt be happier!

Cool. Try and pick up a pair of HD414 pads and then quarter mod them. They change the character of the sound quite a bit, giving a more upfront presentation, which you may or may not like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back