Choosing Headphones, Sony vs Audio Technica
Jun 11, 2011 at 5:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

greyongrey

New Head-Fier
Hey all,

I'm a total newb here, and I apologize for posting to head-fi without much contribution.  I know there are lots of reviews out there of these different headphones, but I wanted more information about these phones in relation to each other (the ones I've listed at the bottom).  I figure if I'm going to purchase my first real pair of headphones I should carefully choose.  

I'm looking for a full-sized pair of closed cans, and I've looked at several models, but I'm a little unsure. I want some that have a consistent response across the lows, mids and highs. I listen to everything from classical pieces, to electronica, to rap.  Furthermore, I want something that is extremely comfortable and isolates outside noise well.  I will mostly be using them to connect to my Macbook Pro (mid 2010) and iPod touch, so I presume a lower impedance is important, is this correct?  These following are the ones I've considered:

--Sony MDR-V6
--Sony MDR-V600 (I've come to the conclusion from reading that people prefer the MDRV6, but the MDR-V600 look like they have a more comfortable headband as well as no exposed wires. Is this true?  Does it matter if the wires are exposed?)
--Sony MDR-V900HD (these are identical to the MDR-7509HD, correct?)
--Audio Technica M50 (I've read most good things on sites like Amazon, but other websites have more critical thoughts about them.  I want something extremely durable. I also read something about there being a difference between the units released a few years ago and the current ones).
--Sennheiser HD 448 (look awesome and comfy. Are they? no published driver size?)

So, I like the looks of the MDR-V900HD and it seems to have amazing specs, but I doubt they matter much.  Is there much of a difference between 40mm and 50mm drivers?  Furthermore, the V900HD have very low impedance and high sensitivity compared to the Audio Technica, so I was wondering why people love them so much comparatively.  

Sorry I've asked a lot questions here.  At the end of the day I feel the MDR-V6 (the cheapest of the lot) is probably the best choice, but I just wanted to make sure.  Like I said, I really want some comfortable phones, and those don't look as comfortable as their more expensive breathren.  If any of you all have recommendations on other headphones based on my preferred characteristics, I welcome them.

Jun 11, 2011 at 6:34 PM Post #2 of 15
I love my MDR-V6's

-Yes
-Worse, the sound lacks and not as comfy. Wires play no difference
-If you want to spend the extra, they are V6's with a better cable and let's out a more pure sound. More clear then warm vs the V6
-I would not, they are more reference
-Overrated. Too much bass, mids lack a bit, DJ style sucks if your not a DJ. The earcups flap around like crazy to me. But good if you are a DJ. Also too much "simulated" sound. They don't feel too natural to my ears
-I've never been comfy with Senn. Some say they are overpriced, and lower, under $200 Senns lack everything.

Yeah go for the V6's and you'll love them. Cheap and a great pair of cans

Jun 11, 2011 at 7:31 PM Post #3 of 15
I also agree with BotByte on the V6's. I love mine, they are nice and clear and clean and even and AWESOME. Honestly, they don't block out sound 100% maybe 70%. Its good enough for me though; I take a bus to and from school and with my Sony mp3 on full volume all I can sorta hear is th engine. Just a little bit. I think they are very comfortable, especially with my glasses on; I lay down on my pillow with them on and have almost fell asleep with them a few times (please dont do that). I really enjoy them.I can't say anything on any of the other headphones on your list, sorry. Any more questions? And good luck!

Jun 11, 2011 at 7:47 PM Post #4 of 15
I'll explain my bias before my actual point. 

I have never owned a pair of Sony headphones besides some really crap $30 noise cancelling ones.

Now, I've owned the M50 for a couple years now, and recently upgraded to AD900 as well. This is because one thing about Audio-Technica's products is outstanding to me- the build quality. Build quality is important to me. I have had too many headphones crap out after a month or two to buy anything that won't last the test of time. AT succeeds at this- I feel completely comfortable stuffing my M50s into the bottom of my backpack. Sound quality wise, I can't make a statement (see statement above) to compare M50 to any Sony. But I know for a fact it is impossible for you to be disappointed by the M50's SQ. It's amazing for the price. 

My 2 cents.

Jun 11, 2011 at 8:02 PM Post #5 of 15

Quote:
I love my MDR-V6's

-Yes
-Worse, the sound lacks and not as comfy. Wires play no difference
-If you want to spend the extra, they are V6's with a better cable and let's out a more pure sound. More clear then warm vs the V6
-I would not, they are more reference
-Overrated. Too much bass, mids lack a bit, DJ style sucks if your not a DJ. The earcups flap around like crazy to me. But good if you are a DJ. Also too much "simulated" sound. They don't feel too natural to my ears
-I've never been comfy with Senn. Some say they are overpriced, and lower, under $200 Senns lack everything.

Yeah go for the V6's and you'll love them. Cheap and a great pair of cans

When you say the Sony V900 is "more reference", do you mean it is more analytical? I find describing something by saying it is "reference" is extremely vague.

Jun 11, 2011 at 8:08 PM Post #6 of 15
I've just recently bought the m50's, I actually bought them and the srh750dj's at the same time to test against each other. I returned the 750dj's because the m50's have better build quality and sounded better with the genre of music that I like. They sounded great on acoustic songs and they really brought out the vocals on pretty much every song I've listened to. They're super comfortable as well. 

As for the Sennheiser's, I've only ownded the HD202's and when I've listened to friends who also have Sennheiser's they've generally been comfortable to wear. Although I'm not too fond of the pleather ear cups on certain models. 

Jun 11, 2011 at 8:46 PM Post #7 of 15
I own the HD448 and just bought the m50s and let me break it down to you. The 448s sound much better than any sony headphones i have ever tried but are a terrible fit, although not uncomfortable. the m50s are more expensive than the 448 but in my opinion worth it. even though people rave about them I think sony headphones are the worst investment you can make. buy the m50s if you don't want to shell out the cash buy the 448s, but for the love of god don't get the sonys. the sonys are a 30 year old design let it go the way of the dodo.

Jun 11, 2011 at 8:52 PM Post #8 of 15
I see you guys are talking about the MDR-V6 here, well, I have a pair for sale, click on the link in my signature.

I can also recommend Fostex T-5 if you like the V6 sound, personally I prefer the T-5 over V6.

As for the thread title, I feel Sony makes much better cheap stuff than Audio-Technica, and A-T only have quality products in their more expensive range,
this is just from my experience, I'm sure there's some exceptions like the AD700 which I haven't heard.

Jun 11, 2011 at 8:55 PM Post #9 of 15

Quote:
I see you guys are talking about the MDR-V6 here, well, I have a pair for sale, click on the link in my signature.

I can also recommend Fostex T-5 if you like the V6 sound, personally I prefer the T-5 over V6.

As for the thread title, I feel Sony makes much better cheap stuff than Audio-Technica, and A-T only have quality products in their more expensive range,
this is just from my experience, I'm sure there's some exceptions like the AD700 which I haven't heard.

What would you say are the most noticeable differences between the T-5 and the V6?

Sorry OP, don't mean to thread jack, I'm just in the same market for something like the V6.

Jun 11, 2011 at 8:57 PM Post #10 of 15
I bought a pair of 448's for a company I work for and while they sound good, the build quality is severly lacking.  They felt "cheap".  If you don't care about that, then its no problem but I would warn you about that.

Also, SRH-840's are better than M50's in my opinion (yes I've heard and owned both pairs), so take a look into those as well.

Jun 11, 2011 at 9:07 PM Post #11 of 15

Quote:
What would you say are the most noticeable differences between the T-5 and the V6?

Link me a youtube song and I'll listen to it with both and tell you.

Edit: I meant I'm making a fresh comparison so I can describe it properly and song links are welcome...

Jun 11, 2011 at 9:24 PM Post #12 of 15
I am also very much a noob when it comes to headphones.  When I purchased my first set of headphones, I went with the Sony MDR-7506.  I am told that these are identical to the MDR-V6 headphones you are considering.  The only reason I went with the more expensive professional headphones, was because I wanted the full year warranty.  I ended up getting them because a friend of mine, who is a sound engineer, recommended them to me.  I figure eventually I will probably get a nice 2 or 3 hundred dollar set of headphones (not Bose or Beats, you know something good and not overhyped), but for now the Sonys are the best headphones I have ever owned.  Get the V6, of if you want the better warranty, get the 7506.  You will be a happy camper.

Jun 11, 2011 at 9:26 PM Post #13 of 15

Quote:
     Quote:

Link me a youtube song and I'll listen to it with both and tell you.

Edit: I meant I'm making a fresh comparison so I can describe it properly and song links are welcome...

That's an interesting approach to giving differences.
smily_headphones1.gif
Though I'm not a big fan of youtube quality, here are some songs:
1.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zSONEoJv18
2.  http://youtu.be/7yPfU_92t7g

Jun 11, 2011 at 9:53 PM Post #14 of 15
Ok listening to the first song.

This song clearly sound better on the V6 imho.

Fostex T-5 has a narrower imaging field, the male vocals are vaguely placed and instrument separation is narrower.

Sony V6 is a bit sibilant on this track, peaky highs, but overall very good and I feel it's very likely the studio mixer was using V6's himself.
The tone of the synth sounds and the xylophone thing is really good and I can hear all the instruments clearly, it's also quite airy, just a slight lack of overall quality and transparency, but I'm not used to closed HP's.

Back to the Fostex T-5, narrow and cloudier yes, but studio quality sound and milky smooth at the same time with an edge to everything, smooth attack, the electric guitar definitely sounds better on these than the V6.
___

Next song, this song was really boring, V6 sounds cleaner, T-5 has better bass, pretty even call.
___

Next song, Lol why do I use this song for tests sometimes IDK.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gRBds3aycw&fmt=18

Fostex T-5 sounds vicious and smooth, great tonality on the electric guitars, very well defined edge, the drums sound decent, anyway very cool but I can't pinpoint the instrument locations at all, it's all mixed in one, which is FINE you still hear it all kinda, song is slower than usual overall so I guess the T-5 are not fast sounding 'phones.

Sony V6, well I doubt this was mixed on V6's, the cymbals are sibilant, electric guitar very clean sounding, not the correct tone, it sounds too "cold", think the colour blue.
I can't dissect all the drum patterns on these either, I guess they aren't fast phones either, but good instrument location and very clean and airy again but not transparent and most people would not appreciate the sibilance. --- T-5 wins here.

Edit: Listened to the last song with ATH-ESW9 as well, yep I can dissect everything better these are faster 'phones, and overall better tone and more realism on the mids, where's the clarity though, I always have to Eq the ESW9, strange headphone, T-5 still wins.

Edit: Listening with CK10, hey I can really hear the yt quality now, sux, anyway I can hear every drum-beat and every stroke of the guitar string especially at 2:47 onwards, it's like listening to two songs being played at once, I can really hear everything overlaping and still performing clearly, the tone isn't PERFECT at all for this kind of music and in some ways I'd prefer the T-5 for the tone but overall CK10 is a clear winner here.

Jun 11, 2011 at 11:45 PM Post #15 of 15
Thank you all so much for the detailed responses.  I suppose the ATs and V6s are the best bet and it just comes down to the pocket book I suppose.  But, I haven't really been able to get much information on people's feelings toward the Sony V900HDs.  Does anybody own them? How do they compare in build quality and comfortableness to the V6s? I presume the sound is similar or better on them.  Just wondering. :)  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back