Choosing between Sleek Audio SA-6/Sennheiser IE8/Phonak Audeo PFE
Mar 18, 2010 at 9:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

Randius

500+ Head-Fier
I am currently using a pair of Sony MDR-EX500 and wish to upgrade to either the Sleek Audio SA-6, Sennheiser IE8 or Phonak Audeo PFE. I had only auditioned the IE8 as the other two are not available in Singapore. So far, I do like the sound signature of IE but the bass may be a bit powerful for my liking (even at lowest setting) I had read rave reviews on both SA6 and PFE stating they are comparable to top-tier IEMs. The fact they are available at almost 1/3 price of IE8 makes them more attractive options.

I listen almost entirely Japanese pop songs and most of them feature female vocals. I prefer a wide sound stage and clear vocal. Will still prefer enough bass to listen to bass-heavy songs but emphasis is still on vocal thus Audio Technica CK10 is out. Which of the three will you guys recommend? Which one will have better synergy with the iBasso D10 amp I have? Are there any other candidates I should give a try? TIA
darthsmile.gif

Mar 18, 2010 at 10:24 AM Post #4 of 33
If you can,get the Ortofons.They have very good vocals and sound-stage and their bass aren't exactly light.And if I remember correctly,Ortofons are slightly cheaper than Sennheisers in Singapore.

Mar 18, 2010 at 10:37 AM Post #5 of 33
Randius, me, redninja and qrqrqr all have pair of sa6 ourselves.. auditioning it in SG is not impossible
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 18, 2010 at 11:02 AM Post #6 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trysaeder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wouldn't the HJE900 have more bass and better soundstage as well?

x2, if you can get them in Singapore.

Quote:

Originally Posted by helljudgement /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you can,get the Ortofons.They have very good vocals and sound-stage and their bass aren't exactly light.And if I remember correctly,Ortofons are slightly cheaper than Sennheisers in Singapore.

x3. The e-Q7 are the best.

Mar 18, 2010 at 11:16 AM Post #7 of 33
Helljudgement: pardon my ignorance but I didn't come across the Ortofon. Will need to find out more about it. Sounds like a plausible candidate

Junliang: great to hear you are in Singapore and own the SA-6. Can audition it? Thank goodness. I was just about to buy it off Amazon just to try out.

Quite puzzled why both Jaben and Stereo don't carry the SA-6 and PFE anymore. Is the Ortofon e-Q7 available in Singapore or did it go the same way as the two mentioned IEMs?

Mar 18, 2010 at 1:07 PM Post #9 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Randius /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Junliang: great to hear you are in Singapore and own the SA-6. Can audition it? Thank goodness. I was just about to buy it off Amazon just to try out.

Quite puzzled why both Jaben and Stereo don't carry the SA-6 and PFE anymore. Is the Ortofon e-Q7 available in Singapore or did it go the same way as the two mentioned IEMs?

Sure, we can meet up at jaben one day.
Mine is the 2009 unit, with 2008 cables.
I bought it 2nd from a guy who bought 2008 unit from jaben in 2008, after which i rma for a 2009 unit.
Registered at jaben forum ?

Need to head down to jaben and try out the customs demo unit..
cant seem to get in touch with aron of stereo to try his acs t1 D:

Mar 18, 2010 at 3:55 PM Post #10 of 33
I've never heard or owned the PFE but I've owned the SA6 and currently own the IE8.

Lovin' the IE8. I listen mostly to indie with an emphasis on vocals and they're plenty fine. When I switch to dance or something else requiring bass, I'm set (this all my require EQing). Best of all: It's freakin' durable.

NO trouble with the cord so far. The SA-6, on the other hand, throughout my ownership (and my sister's) had a great number of build problems. From the cord, the wireless cable, to the ear pieces themselves (loose pieces, now a loose treble port socket), this IEM has been nothing but a pain in the butt (Even the 2009 that I got from the RMA). I regret buying mine and I wish I bought the IE8 from the get-go. The SA-6 did sound good though, a bit light on the bass (especially compared to the IE8) but the vocals were great.

Mar 18, 2010 at 4:02 PM Post #11 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Junliang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sure, we can meet up at jaben one day.
Mine is the 2009 unit, with 2008 cables.
I bought it 2nd from a guy who bought 2008 unit from jaben in 2008, after which i rma for a 2009 unit.
Registered at jaben forum ?

Need to head down to jaben and try out the customs demo unit..
cant seem to get in touch with aron of stereo to try his acs t1 D:

@Junliang: Yes, I am registered at Jaben under the same nick. Hope to be able to meet you soon
wink_face.gif
Also wish to ask where will I be able to purchase the SA6?

I may leave IE8 out because of its hefty price tag, hopefully the e-Q7 will be more wallet-friendly.

Mar 18, 2010 at 5:22 PM Post #12 of 33
@Randius: Ortofon e-Q7 will indeed fit your requirements best I think. Go for it if you can afford it. SA6 is also excellent - not as good as the e-Q7 in the bass and mids, but is smoother, somewhat more delicate in the treble. I do not recommend the PFE. It can't hold a candle against the e-Q7 or the SA6. It lacks detail and sounds unnatural by comparison to those two phones. It also doesn't exactly have such great vocals and bass, although it has good treble.

BTW, SE530 is also a terrific bass and mid focused IEM, arguably even better than the e-Q7, but getting the right fit with them is very, very difficult, unless you also get custom tips for them for $100+. With a poor fit SE530 can sound terrible - like $5 earbuds.

Mar 18, 2010 at 7:28 PM Post #13 of 33
^ I'm a bit puzzled by your description of the SE530's fit. IMO it's easily one of the most ergonomic IEMs out there (apart from the thick and heavy cord) and both the Shure silicon tips and Olives are very comfortable and easy to fit. And I haven't read many complaints about the SE530's fit, if memory serves me right.

At least we can agree on the e-Q7.
smile.gif

Mar 18, 2010 at 7:39 PM Post #14 of 33
e-Q7 wasn't that wallet friendly for me but I'm in the US where there are not many dealers. They go for around $270 in Japan so I would imagine it would be similar price in singapore(? i think thats where jaben is)

Mar 18, 2010 at 8:34 PM Post #15 of 33
yea jaben is in singapore, but i remember someone telling me the price for the ortofons alone was 458 SGD, which would come up to ~328 USD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back