choosing "best" cheap BA IEMs as an introduction to BA world...
Aug 15, 2012 at 9:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

nihontoman

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm a newbie when it comes to audiophile world (or whatever one might call it) and up until now all the experience I've had with relatively high end IEMs had been with Dynamic driver types. I would really like to see what the "other side" can offer, preferably as cheap as possible for starters (if I like what I hear, I might splurge quite a bit on something like a vsonic Gr01 or ATH ck10 or the likes...) so, these are the BA based iems that I've come across so far and would really like to hear some wise words from the experienced folk:

Astrotec Am90,
Rockit Sounds R20,
Creative Aurvana In Ear,
Meelec A151,
SoundMagic PL50
ADDIEM (If I find them as cheap as they used to be)

which one would you prefer? Which one would you think would be "best" suitable as an introduction to the BA based IEMs?  is there anything about any of them that I need to be vary of as a potential buyer? 

as for the info I've gathered, Astrotec Am90 seems very interesting, with its seemingly sturdy build quality and good sound (well, at least from the impressions I got from reading some reviews...) 

Any kind of help is kindly appreciated.

P.S. yes, I've read jokers review...

Aug 15, 2012 at 9:04 PM Post #2 of 11
what is the absolute highest amount of money you want to spend right now on an earphone? 

maybe save up for the Rockit R-50(it's only $120), or try to find a used DBA-02?

also. you mentioned the GR01. the Rockit R50 has been said to sound practically identical for about $60 less. the GR01 is fantastic, but if you have a lower budget and dont mind the smaller accessory pack, straight plug instead of the L plug or having to wear it over wearing it over the ear, got for the R50.

Aug 16, 2012 at 12:51 AM Post #3 of 11
Apart from the R-50 having less accessories than the GR01, the GR01 is much sexier
wink.gif

Aug 16, 2012 at 2:56 AM Post #4 of 11
I'm being kinda cheap here but the absolute max. I'd like to pay for a headphone now is 50$. I''ll actually buy 2 BA IEM-s one for me and one for my friend, who also is in the same exact kind of situation - had some low end dynamic iem-s and wants to get some BA. budget is the same for him too...

so yeah, please stay in that price range while recommending. buying from ebay or amazon  (or any other U.S. based retailer) is possible for me. no European or Asian retailers :frowning2: 

Aug 16, 2012 at 3:50 AM Post #5 of 11
Cheap but overall good SQ BA's are the SoundMAGIC PL50, MEElectronics A151, or the Astrotec AM-90

May 26, 2014 at 3:36 PM Post #11 of 11
He's new - probably used the thread search function and didn't notice he was digging deep into the past 
biggrin.gif

Slack cut on this end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back