Choice: Recable AKG K501 or buy Stock K340
May 1, 2008 at 4:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

pataburd

Headphoneus Supremus
Right now I am deliberating whether to (a) upgrade the cable on my K501 or, for about the same amount of money--actually for less, (b) buy a pair of used, stock K340 (which I've never had the pleasure of auditioning before).

I'm leaning toward buying the stock K340, since I can a/b them and my stock K501, then have my favorite of the two recabled (probably w/APS V3).

Your advice, counsel, opinion is welcome.

Thanks! : )

May 1, 2008 at 4:24 PM Post #2 of 39
Definitely go with the K340, it is a fantastic sounding headphone and
should be well driven by your Bada.

May 1, 2008 at 8:01 PM Post #9 of 39
Well, I wish you folks would quit waffling and give me a definitive answer! : )

FYI, I just PMed minivan for his K340 on the FS forum.

Thanks again for your rapid and unequivocal response! : )

May 1, 2008 at 8:17 PM Post #10 of 39
congrats.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 2, 2008 at 9:57 PM Post #11 of 39
I'm having second thoughts. The shipping/insurance costs for minivan's pair of K340 look prohibitive, plus I've been searching the threads and noting a disturbing theme: there seems to be wide variability in the sound, from one pair of K340 to the next--ranging from "magical" on the one hand to "horrible" on the other.

Now I'm leaning toward the APS V3 recable on my K501. At least I'm already sure I (really) like the way these K501 sound in their stock configuration.

The forums here can be both bane and blessing. In this case, I've accrued more of the former than the latter with regard to users' impressions of the K340--even the AKG authority, Fitz, was ultimately unhappy with the K340.

May 2, 2008 at 11:55 PM Post #12 of 39
Well, with all due respect, even Fitz has his personal preference. I doubt that one can hold his preference as the standard for his own liking.

As for the variation of sounds of the K340s, I agree that sometimes it is hit or miss. I know that I have had two pairs, and they both are good, though I do prefer my present pair. But if you go by the FS forum here, and communicate well with the owner, I am sure you can clarify a lot of the uncertainty with your purchase.

Finally, I must admit that I have never heard the K501s. But a well modded and amped pair of K340s are truly phenomenal. One suggestion for you is to look for modded pairs, so to eliminate any guesswork.

May 3, 2008 at 12:37 AM Post #13 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by SonicDawg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, with all due respect, even Fitz has his personal preference. I doubt that one can hold his preference as the standard for his own liking.

As for the variation of sounds of the K340s, I agree that sometimes it is hit or miss. I know that I have had two pairs, and they both are good, though I do prefer my present pair. But if you go by the FS forum here, and communicate well with the owner, I am sure you can clarify a lot of the uncertainty with your purchase.

Finally, I must admit that I have never heard the K501s. But a well modded and amped pair of K340s are truly phenomenal. One suggestion for you is to look for modded pairs, so to eliminate any guesswork.

Thanks, Sonic. Your points are thoughtful, valid and well-taken. Maybe I'll be on the lookout for a modded pair of K340. : )

May 3, 2008 at 1:46 AM Post #15 of 39
Hey Pat
After receiving your previous K501 with APS V2 I compared it to my headphile K340. Vocals with the K501 seem more upfront than the K340 and it tends to lean more towards the higher freqs sometimes a bit too much, I think it actually starts making some of my music sound weird. The K340s are more balanced and doesn't have excessive high freqs that can sometimes mix badly with the other freqs. The mids seem a bit more lush too probably due to the lack of excessive high freq, not quite as seductive as my K240 MPs but pretty good and balances well with other freqs. The K501s are very good with classical though as its well known for but I think the K340s are better overall, IMO. Have some K400s coming so I'll be able to compare the 3
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back