Choice of DAC/AMP with Audeze Sine
Sep 13, 2016 at 3:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

sup27606

500+ Head-Fier
I think we all agree that Audeze Sine is a special (non-electrostatic) headphone in the sense that a DAC/AMP (cipher cable) comes as part of it. Too bad, they made the decision to tie it to a particular mobile ecosystem only. It is tempting to think, in such a scenario a headphone manufacturer will optimize the DAC/AMP to bring out the full potential of the headphone (or headphones in this case since cipher works in several other models) within the constraints of power and portability. 

In this thread, I am interested in knowing which DAC/AMPs you use with Audeze Sine. Do they sound better or worse than the cipher cable? I expect the DAC/AMP to be economic (bundled cipher cable is only $50 extra) so as to avoid comparing apples to oranges. So I suggest limiting the price of the device to less than $250.

I have also put up a poll with a list of >$250 DAC/AMPs. If your device is not included in the list, please write a comment. Also, in general feel free to discuss the strong points of your setup as it applies to Audeze Sine.

Thanks in advance for your inputs. Lets help out the new community (myself included) who are trying to take the next step in high-end headphones.

Sep 14, 2016 at 12:54 PM Post #2 of 5
I will have a used Sine with Cipher cable in a few days. I intend to use it plugged into the Lightning port of iPhone 6, almost exclusively. I may later test it out on my home setups, so will report that.

Oct 18, 2016 at 10:56 AM Post #3 of 5
bringing this thread back up!

I put my choice as the E10k but would also like to know what other people here would recommend to a person just getting into higher end headphones. Just bought a sine myself. Sounds decent already without a dac and with a software based eq (boom2).

Im choosing the e10k exactly how i chose the sine. It is cheap (well the sine isnt as cheap as dynamics but it it isnt crazy like them other $800+ headphones) and got so many rave reviews everywhere.

im not in a rush to buy a dac, waiting for a deal so if someone has one to sell *winky

Oct 18, 2016 at 1:47 PM Post #4 of 5

I did some research lately and based on suggestions from the Audeze Sine forum, I went for the Cayin C5 as my portable amp (with HifimeDIY 9018 as DAC). I also compared it with Fiio E12 and found the Cayin to be audibly better sounding with more resolution and better 3D imaging. For desktop setup, Fiio E10k sounds good specwise, although it would be good to compare it with other amps like the ones from IFI, Schitt or Aune T1 mkII. As far as I can tell, the Sine has a lot of scalability and once you hear it with a high quality amp, you don't want to go back to your previous one.

Sep 9, 2020 at 4:46 PM Post #5 of 5
The sine is picky in my opinion. Didn't sound good out of my Fiio M11 or my LG V60. Plugged into my home stereo, they sound pretty good.

They seem happy to scale, but also seem to have a hard time with sounding warm enough for me from certain sources.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back