Choice Eyewear for Head-Fiers
Jun 7, 2004 at 4:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

oosoo

100+ Head-Fier
My question is for those of you who wear glasses: What material, make, or design do you favor and recommend? The major consideration is comfort in using full-size cans. Maybe nobody has given this a second thought, or then again, maybe somebody has. Inquiring minds want to know.

Jun 7, 2004 at 4:23 AM Post #2 of 29
Silhouttes. They are really light, frameless glasses that look damn cool, and the lightness makes them extremely comfy.

Jun 7, 2004 at 4:35 AM Post #3 of 29
I wear a pair of MODZ WRAPZ brand stainless hingeless, ultra light frames - they weigh just nothing...they have very flexible temples, of flat cross section, so when you put on good cans they make a good seal - no leaks for my fat face! They are so light, and they grip so well, even when I am sweaty, and being pretty active, looking down does not allow them to slip or fall off.

Jun 7, 2004 at 12:09 PM Post #4 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by oneeyedhobbit
Silhouttes. They are really light, frameless glasses that look damn cool, and the lightness makes them extremely comfy.

Another vote for sillhouttes here. My favourite frame. The only complain, It's not foldable so it's hard to put it in your pocket when you're not using it.

Jun 7, 2004 at 12:39 PM Post #5 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by rycet
Another vote for sillhouttes here.

HAHAHAHAHA..... with me.....3 members on 4.....sorry....I was just imaging an Head-Fi meet where all of us wearing the same frames......
eek.gif

So another one....

Amicalement

P.S. With my good look I tend to go usually with contact lenses...
biggrin.gif

Jun 7, 2004 at 6:56 PM Post #6 of 29
Oh remind me... I just coughed out $700 for a pair of new glasses. Hey, I don't want to look like a geek, so style is important.
rolleyes.gif

I have (and still uses) a pair of Donna Karan eye glasses. Its frameless and has titanium parts. Flex legs (bents like rubber). Extremely light and is very comfortable even with headphones pressing down on the sides of your head. The only drawback is that it is not foldable and frameless usually means that you can't use hi-index (i.e. thin) lenses. This in turn means that the lenses are quite thick if your eyesight is as bad as mine.

The new pair I just bought has frames... can't remember the name of the manufacturer off my head. Its Japanese. Titanium parts (again). But then the hi-index lenses really make it look cool. The parts are much stiffer though and thus I suspect less headphone friendly. Hey, I will never, ever wear the HD600 in public. That's where the etys and earbuds come in.
cool.gif

Have you thought about contact lenses? That will solve all headphone dilemma. The only drawback is people with dryer eyes - like myself - can't wear them for too long.

Jun 7, 2004 at 7:11 PM Post #7 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ticky

1) Oh remind me... I just coughed out $700 for a pair of new glasses. Hey, I don't want to look like a geek, so style is important.
rolleyes.gif

2) Have you thought about contact lenses? That will solve all headphone dilemma. The only drawback is people with dryer eyes - like myself - can't wear them for too long.

Hi Ticky,

1) For 700$ US, I can buy a guide-dog.....
biggrin.gif

2) I don't know how bad is your dry eyes problem but I'm also on the dryer side...and I use: http://www.jnjvision.com/products/acuvue_1d.html

Amicalement

Jun 7, 2004 at 7:31 PM Post #8 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by oosoo
My question is for those of you who wear glasses: What material, make, or design do you favor and recommend? The major consideration is comfort in using full-size cans. Maybe nobody has given this a second thought, or then again, maybe somebody has. Inquiring minds want to know.

Well, I must admit I'm not in a position to choose my glasses for their "headphone-compatibility". I have to do it the other way around.
smily_headphones1.gif

(With glasses on, my feet are clearly size 12. Without glasses, they look fuzzy and more like size 20
biggrin.gif
- but hey, I'm not complaining as long as I can still see my feet without glasses on!
biggrin.gif
)

/U.

Jun 7, 2004 at 7:59 PM Post #10 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by genetic

2) I don't know how bad is your dry eyes problem but I'm also on the dryer side...and I use: http://www.jnjvision.com/products/acuvue_1d.html

Amicalement

I also use the Acuvue. But its the 2-week disposable types. I can wear them well enough, but on usually need to add a drop or two of hydrating eyedrops to keep them going fresh.

It just bugs me that my eyes are no longer completely "white" and I can see tiny red veins running through them. They usually get that "fatigue looking" mild redness later in the day. I feel fine with them, but I don't think its healthy for my eyes. Plus, it makes me look as if I've been sleep deprived. The optician recommended that I give my eyes a rest from the contact lenses one day out of the week. IMO, that's still doesn't alleviate the redness issue.

Jun 7, 2004 at 11:55 PM Post #11 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ticky
I also use the Acuvue.
(...)
I feel fine with them, but I don't think its healthy for my eyes. Plus, it makes me look as if I've been sleep deprived. The optician recommended that I give my eyes a rest from the contact lenses one day out of the week. IMO, that's still doesn't alleviate the redness issue.

Short of «Saran Wrap» I think that I have tried everything on the market...
biggrin.gif

Healthy? I wont wear any of these products more that 12 hours and never more than two days in a row. I dont care what my optician is saying, I prefer to be on the safe side.

Amicalement

Jun 8, 2004 at 12:03 AM Post #12 of 29
No cool titanium glasses here, just ones made of an unidentifiable metal too cheap to be titanium. If I had $700 in my pocket, I wouldn't spend it in glasses.

Jun 8, 2004 at 1:30 AM Post #13 of 29
The expensive part for glasses - at least for me - has always been the lenses. Perhaps its because my eyesight is quite bad (400+ on the right eye and 500+ on the left). I had to use the thinnest - and most expensive - hi-index lenses in order to fit them into the frame. The lenses alone cost $400+.
eek.gif

But, if its comfortable and nice, it's very well worth the money because they do last very long (my eyesight stopped deteriorating some 5 years ago). I've had cheap glasses in the past and some of them, because of their weight, are not very comfortable.

Maybe one of these days I should just get some laser surgery. But, I think I'll wait till the procedure is near 100% failproof.

Jun 8, 2004 at 2:42 AM Post #14 of 29
I wear Giorgio Armani Gray Titanium eyeglasses. They are practically wire thin and designed for people with slightly wide faces. I am looking into contact lenses and perhaps laser eye surgery in about two years.

Jun 8, 2004 at 3:38 PM Post #15 of 29
I just noticed that my glasses are Safilos. Nice light titanium. Sometimes I forget that I have them on. I also have contacts, but I'm not wearing them as much during the summer, because I'm usually too asleep to put them in, or I just forget about them. Don't know what else to say, so I'm finish this sentence and click the Submit Reply button.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back