New Head-Fier
The Contenders are...

Koss Portapros
Sennheiser HD 497
Sony Eggo D66

Source: Rio Karma, Ampless

Music: Classical And Jazz

Use: Portability

Feel free to add anything if you really have to.

Jan 19, 2004 at 4:30 AM Post #2 of 9
I have the KSC50s, which use the same drivers as the portapros I do believe, and they sound pretty nice for only $17. I actually gave them a couple minutes on my perreaux today, and was simply floored by how nice they sounded.

you might want to check out this thread as well.http://www.riovolution.com/forums/vi...75d9000937a08a people have been discussing karma headphones for 20 pages there.

Jan 19, 2004 at 4:39 AM Post #3 of 9
If isolation and size are a concern you should probably drop the 497s (though they're good phones). Maybe add the KSC35s and Shure E2Cs. Do you have a budget?

Jan 19, 2004 at 5:15 AM Post #4 of 9
I'd say go with KSC-50 ($12 on amazon.com, I think) and stick with them for a while -- if you don't wear glasses, that is. Their sound comes pretty close to PortaPros (btw, the drivers aren't identical), and they're a lot cheaper. PortaPros also have a habit of pulling your hair out.

Please disregard the last sentence if you're bald.

I know this is vile heterodoxy, but I prefer the sound of my KSC-50 phones to that of HD600 on certain pieces.

I like D66 quite a bit. They're stylish, comfortable, and have a very pretty midrange. I enjoyed listening to classical piano on D66 phones, but when I put on vocal music, they somehow sounded screechy to my ears. They're somewhat expensive, and I think better sound can be had for less.

Jan 19, 2004 at 3:10 PM Post #5 of 9
I would like to keep the price *around* $50. But obviously I would be willing to stretch it out.

Isolation isn't a huge thing for me, but it needs to be reasonable. Yes, the Koss 35/50's sound good but they have no isolation at all. The 497's offer at least some isolation.

Jan 19, 2004 at 9:58 PM Post #9 of 9
I've had some durability issues with my Porta Pros. I'm on a second pair. My left driver is damaged I think. It's buzzing sometimes at full extension.
frown.gif

Oh, well, they're my pocket radio phones, anyways.

-Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back