Chocolate-Fi
Oct 16, 2008 at 9:01 AM Post #31 of 51
As much I love and enjoy fresh chocolate, nothing beats the occasional Snickers bar when you are hungry. On really busy days, 2 Snickers bars and a yughort drink is all I need for the whole day.

Oct 16, 2008 at 9:49 AM Post #32 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaska /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For whatever reason, I have a preference for Swedish chocolate over Swiss, Belgian or any others that I've ever consumed. My weekly crime involves the purchase, smuggling into the house, and ingestion of one of these:

web_Mbou_Mjolkchoclad_200g.jpg

P.S. Not the whole 200g at one time, of course (but close!)
wink.gif

Ah yes! Marabou! I became quite a fan while i lived in Sweden. I do occasionaly have to go to Ikea over here just to buy some chocolate.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 16, 2008 at 10:36 AM Post #33 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by bonkon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As much I love and enjoy fresh chocolate, nothing beats the occasional Snickers bar when you are hungry. On really busy days, 2 Snickers bars and a yughort drink is all I need for the whole day.

Damn, Mr.T seems to have a profound effect on you
biggrin.gif
Here in The Netherlands we have a store called ALDI who sell Chateau chocolate at a very cheap price. I really really like their milk, grapes and hazelnuts bar. I dont care how unhealthy it may be me being a semi natural foods man. Its simply the best tasting chocolate I know of.

Oct 16, 2008 at 3:07 PM Post #34 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by bonkon /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Snickers can be good, but seriously what you described is horrible for you. I hope you don't do that often.

Oct 16, 2008 at 4:39 PM Post #35 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by deadie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wasn't aware of that, thanks for the heads up. Need to find out if SB will follow in its corporate parent's footsteps with this asinine philosophy or if it will stick to its roots.

I don't think Scharffen-Berger will ever use margarine as a cocoa butter ersatz, that would destroy the brand, but each time you buy one of their products, you are putting money in Hershey's coffers to pay a lobbyist to attack consumers' interests.
I can't boycott Hershey's since I would never consider buying one of their abysmal products anyway. Scharffen-Berger is just collateral damage, but that's life when you sell out. They could have tried to sell out to Lindt (who own Ghirardelli), Nestle or Kraft (owns Suchard) instead.

Oct 16, 2008 at 4:59 PM Post #36 of 51
When I was interning at disney I was in love with cadbury milk chocolate bars. I'd pick them up at England in epcot on my days off.

419GLwYKY8L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Oct 16, 2008 at 8:11 PM Post #38 of 51
I went over to the 'shop full of nothing but very expensive foods' and was amazed to find some Valrhona Ampamakia 2007, and wow, it is very, very good. Ultra smooth and tastes of many flavours!

Not too high at ~64% cocoa, but I think this is the perfect amount for this kind of high end chocolate. But now I understand what this fine chocolate deal is about! Is $6 too much? I dunno, this is the first time I've bought chocolate in ages...

2304519765_27e6290137.jpg

(not my picture, I only have my pathetic 2mp cellphone
biggrin.gif
)

Oct 16, 2008 at 9:14 PM Post #39 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by vagarach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I went over to the 'shop full of nothing but very expensive foods' and was amazed to find some Valrhona Ampamakia 2007, and wow, it is very, very good. Ultra smooth and tastes of many flavours!

Not too high at ~64% cocoa, but I think this is the perfect amount for this kind of high end chocolate. But now I understand what this fine chocolate deal is about! Is $6 too much? I dunno, this is the first time I've bought chocolate in ages...

Cool - I've also tried single source Madagascar chocolate and it was indeed quite interesting stuff.

$6 a bar is about average I'd say for limited products at high end stores.

Oct 16, 2008 at 9:19 PM Post #40 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by choomanchoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's been a while since I've has this particular brand , but what I do remember is that's it's definitely one of a kind.
01ibarra.jpg

ibarra.jpg

This stuff is pretty tasty - a combination of Mexican chocolate, powdered milk, and cinnamon I believe, all fused together in a block to melt in hot milk or water.

My only gripe is that it's always been very stale when I've bought it. Likely sitting on the store shelf for years. Clearly not a fast mover.

Oct 16, 2008 at 10:16 PM Post #41 of 51
Chocolate...yay!
I just love plain (who thought up this dumb name anyway, there's nothing plain about it!) chocolate at around 75% cocoa content or higher. That's about perfect for me, below that most chocolates tend to taste too sugary for my liking.
The only downside to this is that with the amounts of chocolate I consume I always wonder why I'm not fatter than I already am...

Anyways, since I'm currently in Ireland, I had to explore what this country has to offer in terms of 'high-end' chocolates of course! Luckily, there is a food market where they sell handmade Irish chocolate...yummy! The guy who sells them is cool too, he always gives me stuff for free
wink.gif

Stuff I've had so far while being here:
us-bar-maya-gold-3-5-oz.jpg_large_61.jpg

This brand was mentioned here already I think. The mention of spices was what got me to buy it, because I'm normally not a big fan of orange flavor in chocolate. This particular orange flavor is pretty good though, more subtle than most other bars and doesn't overpower neither the spices nor the chocolate itself (which is good too, even with a low cocoa content of 55%). The spices I could detect were nutmeg and cinnamon, which made me think of Christmas while eating this bar!

art36m4.jpg

Intrigued by my first experience with spices in chocolate, I just had to buy this. Chili chocolate is one of my favourites and adding spices to that can just make it better...right? Well, yes and no. I actually spit out the first piece of chocolate, it was like popping a whole nutmeg into your mouth. The trick is to nibble away at a really small piece for hours to make it less strong. The chocolate-spices mix with the chili adding a small zing to it is just addictive imho.

White chocolate with cranberries, pistachios and salted peanuts
No picture, this stuff would have melted away before I got to photograph it! White chocolate tastes rather bland and this was no exception...but the pistachios and especially the salted peanuts added a new dimension to it. Didn't really taste the cranberries though except by chewing them excessively.
confused.gif

Bought, but didn't try these two yet...they look good though!
art1bxc.jpg
art2ak2.jpg

Oct 16, 2008 at 11:12 PM Post #42 of 51
How do you store your chocolates? Also how long should I store them for at the max? I hide them from myself and when I find them, some are stale. When ever I horde my chocolates when they're on sale they normally melt. =( Is it because I hold on to them? My hands are decently warm.

My favorite brands are:
Green and Black's
Lindt

I try flavored chocolates but sometimes the flavors are over bearing, and I sense that I don't get what I paid for, since cherries and oranges are cheaper then chocolate.

Oct 25, 2008 at 12:28 AM Post #45 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by funniecow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey hey someone answer my question....

I usually try to store mine in a room or cabinet that doesn't usually exceed 60-65 degrees F and if I open a bar/box, I try to consume it in about 1-1.5 months. Any warmer and I find chocolate soup where the bar used to be or it gets all over my hands and any longer and as you mentioned, I find it too stale.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back