Chocolate-Fi
Oct 15, 2008 at 6:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 51

Maxvla

Headphoneus Supremus
I searched and found nothing!

I'm totally a chocolate snob. I never eat the super low end junk places like Hershey/Resee's and the like push out. I assume audiophiles here have a sweet tooth for chocolate bars. Lets see your favorites! (Bars only preferably, but post whatever you like the best!)

My personal favorite I've ever had was in Germany. It was a special edition Lindt bar of approximately 75% cocoa, but that was back in the late 90's and I can't remember much else about it. I've never been able to find another bar like it.

Sometimes I'll dive a bit lower for a Dove bar, but tonight I snagged a:

391875_large.png

because I absolutely love mint chocolate. This bar was excellent, although far from really high end. There are a couple local makers that have premium chocolate that is superior imo.

Oct 15, 2008 at 6:35 AM Post #2 of 51
Lindt has some of my favorite chocolates.

lindtchile.jpg

Is really nice, although maybe a bit too much to handle if you are not in the correct mood.

lindor-balls.jpg

The dark lindor balls are also VERY nice. Such buttery texture inside makes me drool just thinking about them. Very nice also if you let them rest on a warm surface so the inside is molten.

As for "plain" chocolate I'd have to go for the silver/gold coloured Lindt bar (Couldnt find a picture), the large (300g?) one. I've tried perhaps 100 different chocolates and it still remains one of my favorites, with a honeyish flavour and lovely smoothness. Reminds me a lot of the dark toblerone but without the annoying pieces. Too bad it's not available in Finland.

The best chocolates I've ever had were bought in Hilton Bangkok, hand made by a french chocolate expert. Best chocolates ever. Those boxed pralines don't even come close.

Oct 15, 2008 at 6:40 AM Post #3 of 51
I haven't seen the chili bars around here but I will keep a look out for them. Sounds interesting!

Oct 15, 2008 at 7:07 AM Post #5 of 51
Yeah, Lindt chocolate are my favorite as well.
Those Swiss certainly know how to make great chocolate. Yummy!
biggrin.gif

Oct 15, 2008 at 7:36 AM Post #7 of 51
Have you had that 85% bar? 75% is about as much as I will touch. I've had a 92% bar before and ended up having to use the last few pieces as baking chocolate because it was too rich. The purity was an interesting experience though.

Depending on the ingredients I really like my chocolate around 45-55%. Gives it a dark sweetness, but stays creamier like milk chocolate that is usually around 25-30%. Unfortunately this % range is almost impossible to find unless custom made (local makers I mentioned in first post). Most chocolate as you know is milk chocolate in the 20-30% range with the bad cheap chocolate dipping even lower. The dark chocolate you see most of the time is 60% and higher.

Oct 15, 2008 at 7:45 AM Post #8 of 51
If you go to Switzerland these are in my opinion the best chocolate bars available. They cost around $5-6 for 100g, since I don't eat chocolate by the kg anyways I find the price very decent. They are fresh, daily made bars and it does make a big difference. Storing them for a week really decreases the taste.

Merkur Confiserien

Their pralines and other chocolates are ok but their bars are really exceptional. In general I prefer simple tasty bars than truffles, pralines etc...

Oct 15, 2008 at 8:20 AM Post #10 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by bonkon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you go to Switzerland these are in my opinion the best chocolate bars available. They cost around $5-6 for 100g, since I don't eat chocolate by the kg anyways I find the price very decent. They are fresh, daily made bars and it does make a big difference. Storing them for a week really decreases the taste.

Merkur Confiserien

Their pralines and other chocolates are ok but their bars are really exceptional. In general I prefer simple tasty bars than truffles, pralines etc...

That ecuador 70% looks nice, and yes fresh matters. That's one reason I prefer the higher end chocolate from the local makers, much more aromatic and flavorful.

Oct 15, 2008 at 12:26 PM Post #12 of 51
i am curently knawing away at a chunk of bakers unsweetend chocolate. i can say thats an experience *shudders* and for pleasure i have a bar of 70%. but yea dark chocolate is suposed to be very good for you or something? *shrugs*

Oct 15, 2008 at 4:02 PM Post #13 of 51
I really enjoy that chili and sour cherry bar as well. Fantastic flavor. The chocolate kind of takes back seat, but I've got no problem with that.

Oct 15, 2008 at 4:34 PM Post #14 of 51
For a regular afternoon much im all about the Cadbury's ... standard chocolate but tastes great. Other than that i like Lindt and i like it dark. Green and Blacks is also really quite nice.

Oct 15, 2008 at 5:24 PM Post #15 of 51
I'm another big fan of the dark chocolate. If I can find a bar at 65% or higher, I'm usually pretty happy. I also love Belgian chocolates in particular.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back