Chinese headphones?
Mar 13, 2006 at 4:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

pabbi1

Cavalli Audio Spiritual Advisor
With all the great new gear being developed in China, are there any Chinese developed world class (dynamic or electrostatic) headphones, that could compete in the far upper end? With the success in amps and sources, one would think headphones would be close behind.

Mar 13, 2006 at 7:04 PM Post #4 of 17
"With all the great new gear being developed in China, are there any Chinese developed world class (dynamic or electrostatic) headphones, that could compete in the far upper end? With the success in amps and sources, one would think headphones would be close behind."

I can hardly wait until they reverse engineer the Grado line. Sell them at half the price with better build quality.

- augustwest

Mar 13, 2006 at 7:18 PM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by augustwest
"With all the great new gear being developed in China, are there any Chinese developed world class (dynamic or electrostatic) headphones, that could compete in the far upper end? With the success in amps and sources, one would think headphones would be close behind."

I can hardly wait until they reverse engineer the Grado line. Sell them at half the price with better build quality.

- augustwest

Reverse engineering is bad, mmkay?
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 13, 2006 at 7:23 PM Post #6 of 17
I think it will be a matter of time before grado, sony, akg, senn clones show up. They certainly have the mass production capability and the technology to do it. Afterall, they can get people into space after the American and the Russian. Just whether or not they believe it is worth the effort of cloning since the market is so small. I think cloned speaker will probably showed up first before the headphone. The profit margin in speaker is certainly larger than headphone.

Mar 13, 2006 at 7:24 PM Post #7 of 17
I had hoped to avoid the 'RE' discussion, but so be it.

The plethora of quality consumer electronics being manufactured (and designed) in China is impressive, in total, and it just seems that headphone technology would be a coming product offering.

My interests lie more in the Sennheiser and Stax competition, and, hopefully, not just re-engineered product (read: pale imitation with an exacting physical resemblance).

At the right price, a (quality) re-engineered R-10, HE90 / HE60 or L3000, especially if they are of no current / future interest to their creators, should be a viable audio product. Having enjoyed my Eastsound E5, I'd be very interested in it's headphone equivalent.

Mar 13, 2006 at 8:05 PM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1
My interests lie more in the Sennheiser and Stax competition, and, hopefully, not just re-engineered product (read: pale imitation with an exacting physical resemblance).

At the right price, a (quality) re-engineered R-10, HE90 / HE60 or L3000, especially if they are of no current / future interest to their creators, should be a viable audio product. Having enjoyed my Eastsound E5, I'd be very interested in it's headphone equivalent.

Agreed!
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

Mar 13, 2006 at 8:15 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by jagorev
Well, I can't think of a Chinese brand, but most of the good headphones are probably made in China.

well, BeyerDynamic's are made in Germany, AKG's are made in Austra, Grado's are made in the USA... dunno about any of the other ones...

Mar 13, 2006 at 8:41 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by augustwest

- augustwest

Usually when the chinese reverse engineer foreign goods the quality is decreased not increased.

Mar 13, 2006 at 9:00 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Medikit
Usually when the chinese reverse engineer foreign goods the quality is decreased not increased.

That is certainly true of the telescopes and telescope eyepieces from China. They are not up to the quality of the USA or Japanese optics, but they are probably 80% of the optical quality at less than 50% of the price. It's hard to know if that would also be true of audio equipment.

Mar 14, 2006 at 5:45 AM Post #12 of 17
Chinese build quality is good? Now that's a first!
rolleyes.gif

Mar 14, 2006 at 5:53 AM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by slinger1182
Chinese build quality is good? Now that's a first!
rolleyes.gif

Yes, the high end products made in China can be of very high quality. Just these days most of the products we use from China are those that are massed produced and sold to make the largest profit possible and pay workers the least.

Mar 14, 2006 at 6:07 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skrying
Yes, the high end products made in China can be of very high quality. Just these days most of the products we use from China are those that are massed produced and sold to make the largest profit possible and pay workers the least.

Hehe, and China is a communist country!

Mar 14, 2006 at 6:32 AM Post #15 of 17
I ain't gonna to talk about politics here.
There are quite a few chinese brands I have tried. They have good price/ performance ratio but in terms of quality they are still no AKG / Senn.
And yes, lots of reserved engineering but mostly on AT cans but so far haven't seen any Grado/Senn clones yet.
Still takes a long time before Chinese headphone makers can do something meaningful to the headphone community, IMO.

You know I have read from an industrial report that 90% of the headphones are made in China now, of course, this figure include those cheap buds too.

As for quality....china can produce some high quality products too eg. Apple computers are now all made in the Shanghai factory, Dell in Xieman.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back