Chinese Food! :) 中國菜 I'm an American with questions.
Mar 26, 2008 at 7:12 PM Post #46 of 160

milkpowder

Headphoneus Supremus
Quote:

Originally Posted by RYCeT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi milkpowder, is that pics taken with your dad's D300 18-200 lens? It looks pretty good.

Thanks! The ones of the abalone, random shellfish and fried prawns were indeed taken with the D300.

All the other ones were taken with a Panasonic Lumix FX-01 or FX-9 (can't remember which) ie point and shoot digital in macro mode.

Mar 26, 2008 at 8:14 PM Post #47 of 160

Konig

1000+ Head-Fier
Quote:

Originally Posted by jh4db536 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
where are you from?

rumor has it that the best Chinese food in north america is in Canada...

ever try steamed salted pork or fish w/ duck egg? chicken feet? birds nest/spit?

Canada has pretty good chinese food but i haven't eaten in one place thats truly mind blowing....

If you are in new york city the best szechuan food is "wu liang ye". Order their razor clam, they decorate it as though you are a chinese state guest.

Mar 26, 2008 at 8:16 PM Post #48 of 160

Konig

1000+ Head-Fier
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Apart from last year, I've pretty much been to Toronto to visit my grandparents every single Christmas. I also have an uncle/auntie who lives in the Richmond Hill area. They've got some very decent Chinese food there
wink.gif

Dammit it's 3am in the morning and I'd like some nice food too!

Two more pictures I've found in my 'archive of food'.

Chicken strips on pumpkin in a black bean, mushroom & soy sauce:
22271343ll4.jpg

Prawns sauteed with sweet bell peppers and cucumber:
13848077ba6.jpg

OMG!!! i live in richmond hill so where the hell did u take those PICS??!! they look awesome!

Mar 27, 2008 at 3:25 AM Post #49 of 160

milkpowder

Headphoneus Supremus
Haha! Unfortunately, those pictures were taken at the Jockey Club in Hong Kong, not in Richmond Hill.
wink.gif
It's slightly finer dining than your typical Chinese restaurant. That said, there are a lot of very authentic ones in Richmond Hill, just that none are really that 'fine', if you know what I mean.

Mar 27, 2008 at 7:59 AM Post #50 of 160

Csidinim

100+ Head-Fier
find a comprehensive restaurant in the morning/noontime for some dimsum. it is 'authentic' in the sense that chinese people will form a large percentage of the customers, vs. something like panda express. food is carted around and is very friendly to the unexperienced- just stare and point.

you will likely not find congee served. it is a very informal breakfast meal, even when cooked elegantly or extravagantly. the reaction that you might receive should be similar to ordering corn flakes at high end cuisine.

Mar 27, 2008 at 8:20 AM Post #51 of 160

Bob_McBob

1000+ Head-Fier
Quote:

Originally Posted by azncookiecutter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Man, the pictures are NOT helping me one bit. I've been dying to eat some authentic Chinese food ever since I got to Halifax, and so far, only found one place that makes okay (to Toronto standards) chinese food.

Co-op term? Have you tried Cameron in Kitchener when you're at UW?

Mar 27, 2008 at 8:25 AM Post #52 of 160

Joshatdot

Headphoneus Supremus
9908_OrangeSesameChicken.jpg

Mar 27, 2008 at 8:25 AM Post #53 of 160

Joshatdot

Headphoneus Supremus
DimSum-600.jpg

Mar 27, 2008 at 8:58 AM Post #54 of 160

milkpowder

Headphoneus Supremus
That looks very nice.

Re: Congee. Even though it is a very informal food, it is often ordered when having dim sum. Salted pork + 'thousand year old egg' remains my favourite although I occasionally like to splash out on abalone and chicken congee. The latter sounds impressive but would only cost around 20USD. It's kinda expensive for a bowl of congee and often not as tasty as salted pork + 'thousand year old egg'.

Mar 27, 2008 at 12:21 PM Post #56 of 160

azncookiecutter

Headphoneus Supremus
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob_McBob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Co-op term? Have you tried Cameron in Kitchener when you're at UW?

Haven't had the chance. I usually hang around campus most of the time though, really don't bother much to go down to Kitchener when I'm in Waterloo. Most of the time it's Saturday mornings to the farmer's market.

Mar 27, 2008 at 3:22 PM Post #57 of 160

laxx

Headphoneus Supremus
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rock&Roll Ninja /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you local Chinese restaurant cook contact Wo-Hop (Mott st., Chinatown NY) and steal their fried dumpling recipe. Seriously, best dumpling ever.

I don't see why anyone likes Wo-Hop. It's the most disgusting Chinese food in Chinatown.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LostOne.TR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Xiao Long Bao (小笼包) Xiaolongbao - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia is among my favorites when done right.

If you get a chance, Taiwanese food is also very good.

I'm biased towards Taiwanese food, but you should try it. It's awesome. =]

Mar 27, 2008 at 8:03 PM Post #58 of 160

chesebert

Headphoneus Supremus
most (really it's all) Xiao Long Bao (小笼包) in the US are bad, as in it taste nothing like what it should have tasted like.

Most (>99%) of Xiao Long Bao (小笼包) sold in Chinese cities other than in Shanghai and Nanxian are bad.

Most (>85%) of Xiao Long Bao (小笼包) sold in Shanghai are unauthentic and most (>85%) sold in Nanxian are unauthentic. Not bad, just unauthentic.

That leaves you scouring Shanghai, a city of 25million, to find the 15% hat actually taste good and are authentic.

yeah..your chances of tasting the real thing is pretty slim, in other words
wink.gif

GL finding the one

P.S. I am picky about my Xiao Long Bao (小笼包); I once spent 3hr in line trying to get into this Xiao Long Bao (小笼包) joint in Shanghai to see if it's the one; and another time I walked for 2.5 hr to find another place since I don't know the area...so between poor map skill and stopping random people on the street..I usually can get to where I want to go. I have yet to find a really really good one; couple are good, few are decent, most are crappy (this is in Shanghai). I know what really really good tasted like since I had it once in Nanxian, but that place has lost its touch.

Mar 27, 2008 at 8:18 PM Post #59 of 160

Bob_McBob

1000+ Head-Fier
Quote:

Originally Posted by azncookiecutter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Haven't had the chance. I usually hang around campus most of the time though, really don't bother much to go down to Kitchener when I'm in Waterloo. Most of the time it's Saturday mornings to the farmer's market.

You should check it out when you're back here. It's about the only reasonable Chinese place in town. Their specialty is dim sum.

Mar 27, 2008 at 8:20 PM Post #60 of 160

milkpowder

Headphoneus Supremus
chesebert:

I'm interested to know what your opinion of a superb xiao long bao is. Like you, I'm pedantic about how it should be AND frustrated at how hard it is to find a decent one.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread