Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
Sep 20, 2018 at 4:19 AM Post #18,286 of 33,689
I wish I could but right now my max is about $150 and I'm not sure whether I should drop that much or go with something around half the price like the KZ AZ10s...

The list I'm considering right now after trawling this thread is:
- Toneking T4
- SD7+ / SD7 Hybrid
- BGVP DMG
- Hisenior B5+
- Toneking TK12s
- MaGaosi MGS-401

Looking for something that's good for EDM, orchestrals, vocals, and piano music so basically all around with great isolation. It'd be nice to get some bass in my IEMS but I have the V-Moda LP2s which are super bass heavy so not a really great point of comparison.

Any thoughts/suggestions on which one I should pick?

I've tried $100+ chi-fi multi-BA since 2 years ago and even then was quite amazed at the quality they can put out at this price range. I think any one of them will be very good, whether or not the sound signature will suit you is another matter altogether.

@B9Scrambler likes EDM too, so his review on the DMG might be relevant to you:
https://thecontraptionist.blog/2018/09/17/bgvp-dmg-six-by-six/

0JT8WX0.jpg

(pics for illustrative purpose :ksc75smile:)

Sep 20, 2018 at 7:28 AM Post #18,288 of 33,689
Sorry for referring to a very old post but I could not find anything else about Toneking TS5. I have received them recently and I am really impressed! I tend to use Beyerdynamic Xelento as a reference and here I have to say I actually like TS5 better and it costs 10% of the Xelento! I would describe them as very natural sounding, precise and crisp. Xelentos now sound slightly muddy and even more bass focused compared to TS5. Would love to test even more similar hidden gems. KZ is nowhere near these.

Do u have the AS10 or ZS10 to compare against? Saw this during the sale but didnt dig the colour and the faceplate xD

Sep 20, 2018 at 7:46 AM Post #18,290 of 33,689
I have ZS10. Toneking is a differen league. Better quality, betzer cable and significantly better tonality. They are even smaller then KZ.
Guess i have to set my mind on something from Toneking during 11.11 sale then. Really wanted the Toneking 5BA but the cheapest (by alot) was on hotfi.

But the whole Kinera BD05 (the drama i can only remb vaguely, it was something like listing it as available but no stock on hand to fulfil the orders) came back to me, and it was an easy decision.

Either way i am still enjoying the AS10 alot, but if i can get something smaller and better housing, i dont mind paying 3 times the price for the same signature.

Sep 20, 2018 at 8:19 AM Post #18,292 of 33,689
Sep 20, 2018 at 8:28 AM Post #18,293 of 33,689
So the ONE visible (not audible) distinguishing difference between the T2 and T2 Pro is the inner barrel color. The Pro version is a lighter shade of Gun Metal. You may notice it in the photo I attached here. It's very subtle, and I didnt notice it until now. :)

Also I used a needle to poke a hole through electrical tape and remeasured. No difference in the mod FR graph.

Here's the full electrical tape vent mod on both. Basically the same response.

I have found that electrical tape is not the best for this. Its flexibility often “self heals” any pin hole you make. You poke a hole w/a needle, & as you pull the needle back out, the tape snaps back into place sealing the hole right back up.

I’ve had better luck for this type of temporary test tuning w/cello (ie Scotch) tape. Once you pierce it, the hole stays open & consistent to the size of the needle. In other words, no closing up issues.

Once I finish my test tuning and determine the optimal hole size, I use a different type of tape (or I even seal the stock vent hole & permanently drill a new hole next to it of the size I want).

The other advantage of using a clear tape is that you can easily see the exact center of the stock vent. On the T2, the front vent hole is already incredibly small. Without clear tape, it’s near impossible to detect exactly where the stock vent is to be able to pierce a new hole exactly in the center. Using an opaque tape (masking, painters, electrical, or even micropore) is like covering up a dart board w/a bed sheet, & then trying to hit the bullseye w/a dart. You can’t see the bullseye.

I bring this up because you mentioned that you got absolutely no difference in measurements w/the hole poked vs not. I believe the above points are the reason that was the case, & I think if you redo the measurements using a clear piece of tape, you’ill see a difference.

It could also be that the hole was too big. As I mentioned, the vent hole on the T2 is incredibly small. Even w/the right tape, it would be very easy to pierce a new hole through tape that’s exactly the same size as the existing hole! I’ve done this myself on accident when tuning IEMs in the past. The trick is using the clear tape so you can see everything easily, as well as using a small & sharp needle (because you may only need to pierce the tape w/just the very tip of the needle).

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2018 at 8:47 AM Post #18,294 of 33,689
I have found that electrical tape is not the best for this. Its flexibility often “self heals” any pin hole you make. You poke a hole w/a needle, & as you pull the needle back out, the tape snaps back into place sealing the hole right back up.

I’ve had better luck for this type of temporary test tuning w/cello (ie Scotch) tape. Once you pierce it, the hole stays open & consistent to the size of the needle. In other words, no closing up issues.

The other advantage of using a clear tape is that you can easily see the exact center of the stock vent. On the T2, the front vent hole is already incredibly small. Without clear tape, it’s near impossible to detect exactly where the stock vent is to be able to pierce a new hole exactly in the center. Using an opaque tape (masking, painters, electrical, or even micropore) is like covering up a dart board w/a bed sheet, & then trying to hit the bullseye w/a dart. You can’t see the bullseye.

I bring this up because you mentioned that you got absolutely no difference in measurements w/the hole poked vs not. I believe the above points are the reason that was the case, & I think if you redo the measurements using a clear piece of tape, you’ill see a difference.

It could also be that the hole was too big. As I mentioned, the vent hole on the T2 is incredibly small. Even w/the right tape, it would be very easy to pierce a new hole through tape that’s exactly the same size as the existing hole! I’ve done this myself on accident when tuning IEMs in the past. The trick is using the clear tape so you can see everything easily, as well as using a small & sharp needle (because you may only need to pierce the tape w/just the very tip of the needle).
Or just cover up half of the hole on both sides. I tried this yesterday and it was much easier then trying to poke a hole through it. I don't have a single thing in my house that is smaller than that hole. You can barely see the hole, let alone trying precisely pierce through half of it, lol, I would probably turn blind due to high level of concentration!

Sep 20, 2018 at 9:42 AM Post #18,295 of 33,689
Will mess around with the holes/testing more tonight or this week for y’all. :)

Sep 20, 2018 at 11:42 AM Post #18,297 of 33,689
You can try a using lancet needle, these are extremely fine and are used for pricking the finger to measure blood sugar levels.
serveimage

This is what I use as well. Type 2 diabetes finally comes in handy!

Sep 20, 2018 at 12:59 PM Post #18,298 of 33,689
Some tip ideas for those looking to expand their wide bore arsenal.

The silicon is on th soft side, I like it more firm (older starlines style).
From the colorful kind I only bought M size in 6 colors.

URLs might be broken, the mobile app is behaving. Let me know if you are having a hard time finding them.

Aipinchun 6Pairs 4.5mm Silicone Earbuds Eartips Earplugs Cushion Replacement Headphone Ear Covers Tips For in-ear Earphone
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/P6pGyYY
Capture+_2018-09-20-19-50-45.png

20pcs Small Soft Replacement Tips Earbuds for In-ear Earphone Headsets Black Color K5
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/9ORlNlq
Capture+_2018-09-20-19-52-24.png

Sep 20, 2018 at 2:12 PM Post #18,299 of 33,689
Random quick impressions:

The BA10 is dark. It’s bass-centric and laid back and a little recessed. That said, it does have decent to good details, thanks to the BA driver I’m assuming. As pictured, and as you imagine, they are awkward to wear. The square body does bother my left ear pretty quickly and starts to bother my right one after a short time.

KZ AS10 - A bit more balanced than the BA10, and this one is available now. Recessed mids and warm. Sort of U-shaped. Good details and medium soundstage/imaging, though some details get lost or become faint due to recessed mids. Posted review already on my website and head-fi

Tin Audio T2 Pro - available on Massdrop now only. Great IEM. Best budget IEM there is in my opinion. Great linear bass, highly detailed mids/treble. Lots of air in the newest model. Really enjoying it so far. Posted review already on my website and head-fi

TRN V80 - just got these in. These sound a lot like a slightly tamer T2 Pro. I’d take these over the T2 now, but I’d take the T2 Pro over these because T2 Pro has more detail. The V80 sounds good to me, though a bit tame across the board.

BGVP DMG - posted measurements yesterday on this. The filters are very subtle changes, but I prefer the stock one or the silver one. The gold one is a little heavier on bass and tamer on treble for my liking. It's all very small differences though. Very good detail yet warm sounding. Rich compared to the T2 Pro/V80, though much higher priced. It's comparable to a Campfire Comet from memory in terms of sound and detail retrieval. Have a tough time getting good fit though as most of my tips slip off the nozzle so I have a limited number of tips to work with. The nozzle also unscrews easily, which is worrying.

Will post further reviews/measurements of the newer ones I got as soon as I have time.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back