Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
Apr 4, 2018 at 3:04 AM Post #15,091 of 33,689
Interested in picking up a cheap pair of IEMs for portable use (and possibly running). Unfortunately don't have time to read through a 1000+ page thread so could anyone give me 1-3 that I should be looking into getting? Budget is <$15.

What sound signature are you looking for? What genres of music do you listen to? Do you want Bluetooth or not? What source are you planning on using? Do you run in the rain?

Apr 4, 2018 at 11:55 AM Post #15,092 of 33,689
What sound signature are you looking for? What genres of music do you listen to? Do you want Bluetooth or not? What source are you planning on using? Do you run in the rain?

Realized right after I posted it that I should be more specific. I'm not enough of an audiophile to have a specific sound signature that I'm looking for. I currently own a set of Jaycar Pro Monitors (Brainwavz HM5 rebrands) and a pair of Tascam TH-02's; haven't owned/listened to anything else really. Think they both sound pretty good but don't necessarily have enough experience with other headphones to really pick apart the nuances and specific details. If I had to pick - maybe something slightly on the bass-y side but not full blown basshead. I'd defer a sound signature to your good judgement based on what I listen to though. I typically listen to electronic music (e.g., electro-house, deep house, trip hop, EBM, complextro, etc.), hip hop, and classic rock. Definitely don't need Bluetooth but would be kind of nice when I'm running. Would you be able to recommend an IEM with Bluetooth and one without? Planning on using my Galaxy S7 Edge and my computer to power this. No running in the rain for me. I could likely stretch my budget a bit...$30 maybe if it's really worth it? Cheaper the better though; right around $20 would probably be the sweet spot. Should probably mention that while I typically use my Tascam TH-02's in the office, they're not the most comfortable thing in the world for me (even with HM5 pads) since they're slightly too big. Would likely switch between my TH-02's and these new IEM's so comfort is also pretty important. Wouldn't mind replacing my TH-02's in the office completely if these are good enough. So I guess these IEM's could potentially be used for a lot of things - commute (i.e. walking), running, and cubical life.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2018 at 12:15 PM Post #15,093 of 33,689
Realized right after I posted it that I should be more specific. I'm not enough of an audiophile to have a specific sound signature that I'm looking for. I currently own a set of Jaycar Pro Monitors (Brainwavz HM5 rebrands) and a pair of Tascam TH-02's; haven't owned/listened to anything else really. Think they both sound pretty good but don't necessarily have enough experience with other headphones to really pick apart the nuances and specific details. If I had to pick - maybe something slightly on the bass-y side but not full blown basshead. I'd defer a sound signature to your good judgement based on what I listen to though. I typically listen to electronic music (e.g., electro-house, deep house, trip hop, EBM, complextro, etc.), hip hop, and classic rock. Definitely don't need Bluetooth but would be kind of nice when I'm running. Would you be able to recommend an IEM with Bluetooth and one without? Planning on using my Galaxy S7 Edge and my computer to power this. No running in the rain for me. I could likely stretch my budget a bit...$30 maybe if it's really worth it? Cheaper the better though; right around $20 would probably be the sweet spot. Should probably mention that while I typically use my Tascam TH-02's in the office, they're not the most comfortable thing in the world for me (even with HM5 pads) since they're slightly too big. Would likely switch between my TH-02's and these new IEM's so comfort is also pretty important. Wouldn't mind replacing my TH-02's in the office completely if these are good enough. So I guess these IEM's could potentially be used for a lot of things - commute (i.e. walking), running, and cubical life.

I'm sure you'll get a million opinions about the 'hyped IEM of the week', but honestly for what you're describing I would say the KZ EDR1 for non-bluetooth. It's built like a tank, is dirt cheap, and sounds great for your genres. It run about $4 (yes you read that right), but it sure doesn't sound like a $4 earphone. If you break it, lose it, drop it in a puddle, etc you are out $4.

For bluetooth, the Meizu EP52 is perfect for the genres you mentioned. Great sound (elevated bass), long battery life, superb fit and ergonomics, highly sweat/water resistant (I don't like to use the term waterPROOF because that implies you can swim in it LOL). It has impeccable build quality (like Apple levels or better). It goes on sale from time to time - I paid $30 (on sale) for mine.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2018 at 2:05 PM Post #15,095 of 33,689
I like edr2 which is like edr1. But since I got ES3 I mainly listen to ES3 over edr2. KZ zse is also good, but ES3 sounds the biggest like headphones. For bigger sound I only heard Fiio F9 pro and that is way over budget. More driver is better until it isn't so it is tricky.

Apr 4, 2018 at 2:14 PM Post #15,096 of 33,689
I'm sure you'll get a million opinions about the 'hyped IEM of the week', but honestly for what you're describing I would say the KZ EDR1 for non-bluetooth. It's built like a tank, is dirt cheap, and sounds great for your genres. It run about $4 (yes you read that right), but it sure doesn't sound like a $4 earphone. If you break it, lose it, drop it in a puddle, etc you are out $4.

For bluetooth, the Meizu EP52 is perfect for the genres you mentioned. Great sound (elevated bass), long battery life, superb fit and ergonomics, highly sweat/water resistant (I don't like to use the term waterPROOF because that implies you can swim in it LOL). It has impeccable build quality (like Apple levels or better). It goes on sale from time to time - I paid $30 (on sale) for mine.

Thanks for the reply! Really appreciate it. Going to go ahead and order me some EDR1's now. What's the best place to get them from? GearBest? I'm assuming shipping time is going to take a while, correct?

While I'm going to go ahead and order the EDR1's, I did have a few quick questions. How do the EDR1's differ from the EDR2's? Think I saw somewhere that the R1's have more a v-shape while the R2's are more neutral? Would you recommend buying aftermarket tips for these or are the stock ones pretty good? When I was looking around and doing some reading, it seems like the ZS3's, Rock Zircon's, and Tennmak Pros were some pretty commonly recommended ones - how do these compare to those? Still going to get the EDR1's but was just curious.

Edit: Very noob question but figured I'd ask...looking at pictures of the EDR1's it almost appears like there is mesh on the back of the monitor. Do these leak sound?

Edit edit: After a bit more reading, I'm thinking about grabbing the EDR1's and the ZS3's (and performing the Slater mod). Shoot, it's only $11 extra bucks (for the ZS3's) and it'd be nice to have a backup so that if I don't have to wait for a month-long ship time if anything happens to a pair.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2018 at 2:36 PM Post #15,097 of 33,689
Thanks for the reply! Really appreciate it. Going to go ahead and order me some EDR1's now. What's the best place to get them from? GearBest? I'm assuming shipping time is going to take a while, correct?

While I'm going to go ahead and order the EDR1's, I did have a few quick questions. How do the EDR1's differ from the EDR2's? Think I saw somewhere that the R1's have more a v-shape while the R2's are more neutral? Would you recommend buying aftermarket tips for these or are the stock ones pretty good? When I was looking around and doing some reading, it seems like the ZS3's, Rock Zircon's, and Tennmak Pros were some pretty commonly recommended ones - how do these compare to those? Still going to get the EDR1's but was just curious.

Edit: Very noob question but figured I'd ask...looking at pictures of the EDR1's it almost appears like there is mesh on the back of the monitor. Do these leak sound?

Edit edit: After a bit more reading, I'm thinking about grabbing the EDR1's and the ZS3's (and performing the Slater mod). Shoot, it's only $11 extra bucks (for the ZS3's) and it'd be nice to have a backup so that if I don't have to wait for a month-long ship time if anything happens to a pair.

I recommend ebay or Aliexpress. They are $4 or less there.

Yes, the EDR1's have more a v-shape while the EDR2's are more neutral.

I recommend the stock tips or KZ Starlines (the ones you said - ie on the ZS3, ZS5, ZS6, etc). ou can swap them from another pair of KZs, or you can buy them separately (from ebay or Aliexpress). They are usually less than $1 for a full SML set, but there is a seller on ebay that will sell you qty 15 pairs in any size for $0.99 shipped. So if you know you use M size, you can order 15 pairs of all M size. It's quite a good deal.

The mesh on the back is strictly for looks. They are a closed type IEM. The isolation is very good.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2018 at 11:30 PM Post #15,101 of 33,689
Screenshot_20180405-102359.jpg

Anyone tried this? The pro is priced around usd 180 while the non-pro around usd 100.. A fellow in etymotic forum said the pro is tuned like ER4XR.

Here is their frequency response
Screenshot_20180405-102451.jpg

The dotted one is the regular kanas (have more bass than the pro)

Apr 6, 2018 at 1:18 PM Post #15,102 of 33,689
So, I received MEMT X5 and Einsear T2.

Initial impression and preferences between MEMT X5, Einsear T2 and FXT90.

Both, MEMT X5 and Einsear T2 have very close soundstage. MEMT X5 has extra warmth and thick mids compared to Einsear T2. Bass is higher in MEMT X5.

I still prefer FXT90 over these two. Better soundstage and just the right amount of bass, not too much and not so thin. It feels a more composed IEM. But the availability of mic makes MEMT X5 and Einsear T2 a good option. Einsear T2's mic is on left side wire.

ZSR is the most fun out of all these but my ears hurt with the fit.

Apr 7, 2018 at 3:17 AM Post #15,104 of 33,689

Users who are viewing this thread

Back