Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (On or Over Ear Headphones)
Jul 9, 2022 at 8:17 AM Post #7,022 of 7,153
So
I have the ZX1 and I really didn't like it out of the box. It has a raised lower treble (around 3khz, I think) that made everything sound etched, harsh, and unnatural to me. I fixed it somewhat with a pad swap (heavy EQ could also work). However, I say you should avoid them. It's not a headphone that I would recommend to most people, especially since they really aren't that cheap and the build is not great. I don't have any experience with those other models unfortunately, so I can't comment on those, but that's my 2 cents.
So quick question to you and anyone else with an OKCSC ZX1, what does yours look like?
Because when I got it, I was expecting some kind of treble monster with heavy bass, maybe recessed mids, or maybe something on the level of HD681B, but hopefully not worse. But it wasn't like that all, the treble on my HD681 and ZS3 made it painful to listen for long periods and do make voices come off a bit unnatural and make cymbals sound off, but not the case with ZX1.
It's been a couple months, change of pads, with amp and without amp and none of the excess treble I've seen people mention and I was about to let it go, figuring maybe I'm not as trebel sensitive as I thought, but I did notice that the ZX1 pictures I've seen posted look a bit different from mine. Maybe it's nothing, but just in case I'll post a description of mine:
Cable - gold and silver cable, as opposed to a purely silver cable that I've seen
Headband - My headband has no white stitching at the top, different thinner material, whereas others have white stitching at the top, with different material(seems like a faux leather).
The weight in the middle looks different and so does the end plug.
Like I said, maybe it's nothing, I'm just checking.

I bought mine here:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32921057857.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.0.0.70941802PLuNCX
In the promo pics you see the silver cable and such, but if you check the reviews, mine look exactly like the pictures posted by the reviewer.
Also just to be sure, it still has the clarity, bass(sooo much bass) and soundstage people mentioned, just no 'hot' treble.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2022 at 12:16 PM Post #7,023 of 7,153
So

So quick question to you and anyone else with an OKCSC ZX1, what does yours look like?
Because when I got it, I was expecting some kind of treble monster with heavy bass, maybe recessed mids, or maybe something on the level of HD681B, but hopefully not worse. But it wasn't like that all, the treble on my HD681 and ZS3 made it painful to listen for long periods and do make voices come off a bit unnatural and make cymbals sound off, but not the case with ZX1.
It's been a couple months, change of pads, with amp and without amp and none of the excess treble I've seen people mention and I was about to let it go, figuring maybe I'm not as trebel sensitive as I thought, but I did notice that the ZX1 pictures I've seen posted look a bit different from mine. Maybe it's nothing, but just in case I'll post a description of mine:
Cable - gold and silver cable, as opposed to a purely silver cable that I've seen
Headband - My headband has no white stitching at the top, different thinner material, whereas others have white stitching at the top, with different material(seems like a faux leather).
The weight in the middle looks different and so does the end plug.
Like I said, maybe it's nothing, I'm just checking.

I bought mine here:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32921057857.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.0.0.70941802PLuNCX
In the promo pics you see the silver cable and such, but if you check the reviews, mine look exactly like the pictures posted by the reviewer.
Also just to be sure, it still has the clarity, bass(sooo much bass) and soundstage people mentioned, just no 'hot' treble.
That definitely looks different from mine. Mine looks (or looked before I modded them) exactly like the description images on that listing, not the customer reviews. Probably some kind of silent revision. Wouldn't be surprised if they they changed the tuning when they did so.

But also, maybe the peaks just don't bother you like they did me. I have a pretty extreme sensitivity to 3khz, too much or too little in this area makes headphones unlistenable to me. I think if treble bothers most people, it's higher, probably around 8-12khz. Hard to say for sure since everyone hears so differently.

Jul 9, 2022 at 1:42 PM Post #7,024 of 7,153
That definitely looks different from mine. Mine looks (or looked before I modded them) exactly like the description images on that listing, not the customer reviews. Probably some kind of silent revision. Wouldn't be surprised if they they changed the tuning when they did so.

But also, maybe the peaks just don't bother you like they did me. I have a pretty extreme sensitivity to 3khz, too much or too little in this area makes headphones unlistenable to me. I think if treble bothers most people, it's higher, probably around 8-12khz. Hard to say for sure since everyone hears so differently.
I was thinking revision and different tuning as well, but like you said, everyone hears differently, so I just don't know. I know the HD681B and the KZ ZS3 can be brutal to my ears after I listen to them for too long, but I don't know how sensitive that qualifies my ears as. Hopefully more people will chime in. Wouldn't be the first time I bought some phones and the tuning changed on me(although that was an IEM).

And thanks for the response.

Jul 9, 2022 at 4:57 PM Post #7,025 of 7,153
Just wanted to post a quick update on my modded okcsc zx-1. At the moment I run my special-sauce pads (phillips shp-890 with akg k550 foam) and where these before would create an increadibly bass heavy headphone, i have experimented with blocking the rear ports of the driver with hockey-tape (headphone modders listen up, this stuff can be amazing if used right). This creates good attenuation of the low midrange and mid/high bass while improving bass extension.
They still have that amazing soundstage and sound more Epic than ever with that low end rumble.
Modded zx-1.png

This graphs is calibrated to match the FR:s of solderdude at DIYheaven as I use the same setup but with different microphones.

I might experiment with some damping infront of the driver to remove that very high frequency sizzle.

Edit: I just want to make it clear that these are not and probably never will be a very hi-fi headphone, the drivers just don't have the sofistication of more expensive drivers. But for what I use them for (epic, cinematic, edm, etc where presentation is key) they are like nothing I have heard before and will therefore always have a place on my desk.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2022 at 11:02 AM Post #7,026 of 7,153
Reading back a bit to see what's popular now and I don't see any open backs. I want to sell my SHP9500s to my cousin with a bigger head than me and get something smaller for myself at around the same price but it's looking like there's not really a good option? I don't like the isolating sound of closed back especially when talking.

I guess my cuz who doesn't really care one way or the other about closed versus open should be deciding between the Phillips themself versus Takstar Pro82? He's finding his
current headphone too heavy, the SHPs are very light, almost too light which is why I was reccing it for him. I looked on a forum for ladies thinking they would have better recs for smaller/lighter and some of them even recommend the one he has which is too heavy for him and too big for me (Corsair Void Pro), while almost all of them rest of them use Razer Kraken (ew).

We both like our chi-fi IEMs but headphones looks like another story heh. We would totally just use them for gaming too but they are so fatiguing after a couple hours it's not realistic.

Jul 19, 2022 at 6:17 PM Post #7,027 of 7,153
Hi, can you guys please advice me some good ones up to 500$?

I have been away for a few years from here, so Reading up would be hardnon all the info here.

I prefer non fatiguing ones, and those WHO sound natural, and musical and i can listen to for hours?is this to much to ask?

Thanks in advance

Jul 20, 2022 at 9:19 AM Post #7,028 of 7,153
Hi, can you guys please advice me some good ones up to 500$?

I have been away for a few years from here, so Reading up would be hardnon all the info here.

I prefer non fatiguing ones, and those WHO sound natural, and musical and i can listen to for hours?is this to much to ask?

Thanks in advance
USD?
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/nan-6-planar-headphone.959216/ Sub-$500 on Taobao

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hifiman-edition-xs-launched.960155/ $350ish if you know to stack coupons and cashbacks on AliExpress

Sep 28, 2022 at 12:30 PM Post #7,034 of 7,153
Are the Takstar Pro 80 still competitive sound quality for under $50? I've got the itch to replace them but I'll spend the $50 elsewhere if its not much of an upgrade.
I have never heard of the Takstar Pro 80, but I do recommend buying Creative Aurvana Live (1st version) instead if you can find them.
CAL 1 is doted by many popular reviewers/users in the audiophile community. I believe Creative is a Singaporean company.

Sep 29, 2022 at 8:58 AM Post #7,035 of 7,153
Are the Takstar Pro 80 still competitive sound quality for under $50? I've got the itch to replace them but I'll spend the $50 elsewhere if its not much of an upgrade.
Takstar Pro 82 would be the step up, but would recommend maybe moving onto the $100 bracket and get the AKG K371, or the 1More Triple Driver Over-ear ($130 on Drop as a new user).

We're right on the cusp of a slew of low latency bluetooth closed backs too, so that might see some great new options in the $80-$150 range.
I have never heard of the Takstar Pro 80, but I do recommend buying Creative Aurvana Live (1st version) instead if you can find them.
CAL 1 is doted by many popular reviewers/users in the audiophile community. I believe Creative is a Singaporean company.
CAL! SE is an upgraded version of the CAL! v1, as distinct from the CAL! 2, which is rubbish.

The SE should still be in circulation, but it's more musically-oriented than the rest of these options, with a very narrow soundstage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back