Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (On or Over Ear Headphones)
Oct 8, 2020 at 2:31 AM Post #6,316 of 7,153
Small update on the ribbon headphones. I was previously running them on a tiny class D amp that claimed 50wpc (a very dubious claim, after some testing), and found the sound quality to be lacking in certain areas. Annoying static, clipping and amp shutdown at high volume or during songs with lots of bass, etc.
Recently got a massive JLH 1969 class A 15wpc amp, and things sound much better. Even with this 15wpc amp, it easily reaches deafeningly loud levels, so I'm not worried about headroom.

I previously typed in detail about weird observations I had with the bass response in complex songs - those still remain, but every other issue I had with the headphones are now fixed. I can definitely say they now sound really good, outstanding even, far better than my beyer t1, and better than my, admittedly unreliable, memory of the focal clears.

I'm meeting up with a friend soon, dragging the huge amp with me, to show off these ribbons and compare them to his 95X try his focal clears again. Will post additional details after.

I'll probably relegate the tiny class D amp to use as the 'portable mode' for these ribbons, once the hardware I need to run it off a power delivery battery pack arrives.
Great news!

The imaging issues due to the bass seems likely unsolvable for the form factor: the driver just moves too much in its efforts to produce the bass.

Oct 9, 2020 at 6:33 PM Post #6,317 of 7,153
Hey there, any news from here about the openheart headphones?

Btw I'm still enjoying my Xiaomi 2nd gen portables, the sound is full, balanced, fun and not fatiguing. It works especially well with genres where weighty, smooth midrange and an overall balanced/slightly dark sound signature is beneficial. I'm a regular podcast/audio drama listener and I've recently tried this xiaomi for this purpose with great success. For example, nowadays I'm listening to Mission to Zyxx, which is a really fun improvisative scifi-adventure-comedy audio show with amazing sound design. (if you're interested, spotify has way better sound quality than on their homepage) The Xiaomi gave the best experience from my little collection of headphones.

I've also found an interesting article about it on thephonograph.net, where the author suggested that it has huge extra potential with EQ. The article even included a frequency response measurement. I'm not a big EQ person but I made some nice improvement with some of my diy earbud builds and Equalizer APO. I plan to create a profile for this xiaomi as well, just for fun and to see how far I can take it, will share the profile when I get to play with it. While I like the overall sound of it even in stock form, I would definitely tighten up the bass a bit, add some air on top and clean up the range around 4-8khz a bit, let's see how it goes. :)

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2020 at 11:02 PM Post #6,318 of 7,153
Oct 29, 2020 at 6:12 AM Post #6,320 of 7,153
I just got the AKG K72 @ 29 usd. Wasn't quite impressed by it initially, after a few days still think its pretty sub par. My mistake overlooking some of the seemingly non-obvious choices like the Samson sr850s and 950s. Does anyone have experience with both these headphones and how do they compare. Also do the oneodio pro 10, 30 or 50 headphones image well?

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2020 at 7:04 AM Post #6,321 of 7,153
I just got the AKG K72 @ 29 usd. Wasn't quite impressed by it initially, after a few days still think its pretty sub par. My mistake overlooking some of the seemingly non-obvious choices like the Samson sr850s and 950s. Does anyone have experience with both these headphones and how do they compare. Also do the oneodio pro 10, 30 or 50 headphones image well?
With SR850, which is a pretty dated headphone these days, you're also looking at a pair of pads that are thicker, but not too thick, and at that point you might be better off looking at the Takstar Pro 82 or GM200 (from TakstarAudio store or Takstar Official store on AliE).

Another one that people have been looking at lately is the OpenHeart OH2000, but I'm not sure it's strictly flat, might be a little warmer with a nice soundstage given the more open design.

Oct 29, 2020 at 12:52 PM Post #6,323 of 7,153
Strange Ausdom Bluetooth cans with a Audeze-like logo and variable bass control on sale on 11-11 🧐

US $107.73 43% Off | [Newest]AUSDOM Deep Bass Headphone,Wireless Bluetooth5.0 ANC Headset,CVC Microphone,Dynamic Driver HiFi Party DJ Music Headphone

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mrV7TEN

3730F5D5-98FC-4250-8644-BF2DFB6E3DF0.jpegDB168AB3-7137-4896-A672-F60F755DC88E.jpeg

Oct 29, 2020 at 5:35 PM Post #6,324 of 7,153
Strange Ausdom Bluetooth cans with a Audeze-like logo and variable bass control on sale on 11-11 🧐

US $107.73 43% Off | [Newest]AUSDOM Deep Bass Headphone,Wireless Bluetooth5.0 ANC Headset,CVC Microphone,Dynamic Driver HiFi Party DJ Music Headphone

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mrV7TEN

3730F5D5-98FC-4250-8644-BF2DFB6E3DF0.jpegDB168AB3-7137-4896-A672-F60F755DC88E.jpeg

Wow, interesting find. Very odd indeed. I’m surprised they don’t get in trouble with Audeze. At least in the US they would.

Oct 30, 2020 at 12:56 AM Post #6,325 of 7,153
With SR850, which is a pretty dated headphone these days, you're also looking at a pair of pads that are thicker, but not too thick, and at that point you might be better off looking at the Takstar Pro 82 or GM200 (from TakstarAudio store or Takstar Official store on AliE).

Another one that people have been looking at lately is the OpenHeart OH2000, but I'm not sure it's strictly flat, might be a little warmer with a nice soundstage given the more open design.

Sadly buying anything off aliexpress is impossible right now for me in India due to the india-china thing going on. Aliexpress wont ship to India for most items now. And amazon is selling the Takstar pro 82 for about 17,000Rs = 230 usd which is ridiculous.

Oct 30, 2020 at 1:09 AM Post #6,326 of 7,153
if anyone can get the Sony Z5 for $300 or less, then my advice is to jump on it. Get it. Then lose yourself. Big bass that does not bleed and creamy lush mids and wide stage.

For those of you who love BA earphones, then buy the Sony XBA300 from Amazon. Triple BA for $175, with sublime sound, EQ'able bass with zero distortion, beautiful mids, and excellent clarity, separation, and wide stage.

Oct 30, 2020 at 10:27 AM Post #6,327 of 7,153
Sadly buying anything off aliexpress is impossible right now for me in India due to the india-china thing going on. Aliexpress wont ship to India for most items now. And amazon is selling the Takstar pro 82 for about 17,000Rs = 230 usd which is ridiculous.
Check out Takstar's official distribution channels to see if you can find something in your region that isn't restricted or overpriced:

https://en.takstar.com/buy.html
https://en.takstar.com/service/distributors.html

I'd double check if the Amazon US storefront can send it to you as a starting point, then Shopify, etc. Hopefully 4000-5000 Rs before tax/import costs if you can find something appropriate.

Nov 1, 2020 at 4:53 AM Post #6,328 of 7,153
Hi, Im looking for some chifi over ear headphones under 200$ closed back or semi open. So far I got the Blon B8 and the 1more triple driver on my radar. Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance.

Nov 1, 2020 at 5:27 AM Post #6,329 of 7,153
Check out Takstar's official distribution channels to see if you can find something in your region that isn't restricted or overpriced:

https://en.takstar.com/buy.html
https://en.takstar.com/service/distributors.html

I'd double check if the Amazon US storefront can send it to you as a starting point, then Shopify, etc. Hopefully 4000-5000 Rs before tax/import costs if you can find something appropriate.

I'd checked the Takstar official site, they have a dealership in Bangladesh, but not in India (No wonder their GDP is higher than India's!). And the other few places where they do ship to India i'm paying postal & tax charges equivalent to the price of the headphone or even more in some cases. On shopify i'm a little unsure about the shipment reaching here on time, so i'm hesitant to take the risk.

After going through under 50 usd options for open-back/semi open back headphones. I'd convinced myself to up my budget to 8k inr (100usd) and settle for the sennheiser HD599 se which were on sale for that price from its original tag price of 18k inr (240usd). I'd considered the philips shp9500 as a first option. It sells for 18k inr on amazon and out of stock on flipkart @ 11k rs. Reading from reviews and looking at the frequency response curves i felt the 599's will be a good gaming and music headphone, since its strong point is imaging and the open back soundstage, also overall it has a warm sound profile for music.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2020 at 5:35 AM Post #6,330 of 7,153
Hi, Im looking for some chifi over ear headphones under 200$ closed back or semi open. So far I got the Blon B8 and the 1more triple driver on my radar. Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance.
For wired over ear headphones, I like the ISK MDH9000 and its many clones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back