Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (On or Over Ear Headphones)
Sep 8, 2018 at 8:03 PM Post #4,366 of 7,153
Is it too late to return them?

Far too late, yes, but it’s no biggie, I put them away for a few months and didn’t really notice until the last few days. I didn’t spend that much on them, and they are pretty at least! :)

Sep 8, 2018 at 11:52 PM Post #4,367 of 7,153
I would recommend reading the review before drawing any conclusions (the review had mostly positive things to say):

https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/brand-superlux/hd672/

And considering $35 is the total cost of the headphone with the pads, and I’ve paid twice as much just for pads, who’s to say that Superlux didn’t make design compromises to hit a desired retail price point?
Sorry, it was your wording (would) that I misunderstood. It seems he did actually try the velour pads. That's great news anyway for an inexpensive upgrade to an already great sounding headphone. I would have liked to see a graph showing the difference the pads alone make without the additional tissue paper mod.

Sep 9, 2018 at 1:03 AM Post #4,368 of 7,153
Umm, I'm pretty sure that Superlux would not have used the silicone if they messed up the sound of their own headphone. Is the DIY guy saying velour "would" improve the sound? If so, it means it's pure speculation and therefore doesn't really mean anything.

https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/brand-superlux/hd672/

No.
He specifically measured it. The headphones raw frequency response charts improved drastically as well as the sound as he heard it. So both in objective measurements and subjective listening from him shows a marked improvement. Scroll to the bottom to see the graph with the velour pads on, toilet paper added, and something he did with a pencil eraser?

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2018 at 1:12 AM Post #4,369 of 7,153
I might have ended up with a lemon M1 and that could explain why I really find them to fall significantly short of the Grado’s. What you describe doesn’t sound bad, just different, and when I pulled out my M1 pair two days ago to listen, they were thin, harsh, and I swear I heard some bad distortion or something - just something not right.

Sounds like it. Well if you are in a DIY mood, you might be able to try fixing it or putting some other drivers inside the casing. The M1's I have don't sound bad. There isn't any major distortion that I could hear. They didn't sound thin nor hollow to me. They sounded a lot like the SR80 Grado headphones with a less intimate mid range. Still do. Just checked before typing this up. They are not my preferred sound signature though. Neither are the Grado SR80 really. Neither is the M2. That being said the M1 used the go for $40-$55 (and still do I think), the M2 go for $75, and the SR80 for $100. Considering the price, if you are a fan of the Grado sound signature, the M1 or M2 is a nice less expensive alternative IMHO. Assuming you don't get a lemon.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2018 at 1:37 AM Post #4,370 of 7,153

No.
He specifically measured it. The headphones raw frequency response charts improved drastically as well as the sound as he heard it. So both in objective measurements and subjective listening from him shows a marked improvement. Scroll to the bottom to see the graph with the velour pads on, toilet paper added, and something he did with a pencil eraser?

actually had to download the pdf file to read about the mods, but really quite informative. He liked it even with the stock silicone pads, but the mods he did are well documented with graphs showing each changes. The eraser thing is probably something like blu-tack, to cover up some port holes, supposedly improve sub-bass extension. The toilet paper was to tame the treble peaks. Changing the silicone pads to velour or pleather for comfort is quite understandable (even he had issues with the ear touching the drivers directly).

Sep 9, 2018 at 10:11 AM Post #4,371 of 7,153
will hm5 pads fit on isk hf2010?

Sep 9, 2018 at 4:55 PM Post #4,373 of 7,153
Well I got the Superlux HD672 ordered and coming now. For $35 shipped it's a little more than what I paid for other superlux headphones, but I hope they are decent. I also finally got a decent deal on the Master & Dynamics MH40 headphones too. I've heard them more than a few times in Bestbuy and I've liked them there. Been wanting a pair, but I have this weird thing about setting a price in my head I am going to pay and not going over that.

Sep 9, 2018 at 6:32 PM Post #4,374 of 7,153
Well I got the Superlux HD672 ordered and coming now. For $35 shipped it's a little more than what I paid for other superlux headphones, but I hope they are decent. I also finally got a decent deal on the Master & Dynamics MH40 headphones too. I've heard them more than a few times in Bestbuy and I've liked them there. Been wanting a pair, but I have this weird thing about setting a price in my head I am going to pay and not going over that.
It's not so weird. I do the same thing. I wind up buying things at decent prices when I can get a good read on what would be great price on the item and then buying them when they hit that price, or drop below. Superlux are a good example...I waited and watched and hesitated...then last year I picked up a HD681 and an HD668B for less than $30 for the pair (gearbest has those loopy 11/11 sales...)

Sep 12, 2018 at 3:38 PM Post #4,375 of 7,153
Well I got the Superlux HD 672 in today. Build quality they are okay for the price. They aren't really comfortable on my had and there is a lot of microphonics from the non detachable cable and even the earpads for. The silicone earpads really aren't my thing now that I'm trying them. Just not all that comfortable for my head. Not horrible, just not to my liking. I've been spoiled by HM5 and clones or earpads of similar style. So these earpads are just not doing it for me in terms of overall comfort. I will state the earpads having no actual foam padding inside is a bit strange as well. It's just an empty air silicone tire thing. It sort of works, and others may like it more than me.

As for the sound, again not my cup of tea. Very hot treble, very recessed mids with a mid-bass hump that is a little dark. Sub bass rolls off. The mids seem to lack a little detail for me, but that could be because I'm having to turn down the volume a bit to deal with the treble. For those that like the 668B's, but wanted a nicer headband, these are pretty close to that. I am less of a fan personally of the 668B's compared to the HD 672. That being said I really like the HD 681 EVOs from Superlux. Going to look over the mods listed by DIYAudioHeaven and see if they can tame this headphone one day.

I also got my MH40's in and they are just as good as I remember them from my demo's through BB.

UPDATE!

So I decided to put an extra pair of Senitek velour's I had left over. HM5 clones in velour style. I hadn't found really any headphones I have liked them on, so I have a couple of pairs sitting here. Well I put them on the HD 672's and INSTANTLY 100 times better. The highes are thoroughly tamed. It is now smooth, silky, and way more comfortable. A lot more neutral sound signature and response. I can turn up the volume a bit more and hear the mids better. However, the mids still have a bit of a veil to them even after that. There is still a little bit of a mid-treble sibilance as well. The high treble hotness is gone though so that is a start. If you are willing to pick up or find some velour style HM5 earpads for these, then these headphones get much better IMHO.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2018 at 5:33 PM Post #4,376 of 7,153
Well I got the Superlux HD 672 in today. Build quality they are okay for the price. They aren't really comfortable on my had and there is a lot of microphonics from the non detachable cable and even the earpads for. The silicone earpads really aren't my thing now that I'm trying them. Just not all that comfortable for my head. Not horrible, just not to my liking. I've been spoiled by HM5 and clones or earpads of similar style. So these earpads are just not doing it for me in terms of overall comfort. I will state the earpads having no actual foam padding inside is a bit strange as well. It's just an empty air silicone tire thing. It sort of works, and others may like it more than me.

As for the sound, again not my cup of tea. Very hot treble, very recessed mids with a mid-bass hump that is a little dark. Sub bass rolls off. The mids seem to lack a little detail for me, but that could be because I'm having to turn down the volume a bit to deal with the treble. For those that like the 668B's, but wanted a nicer headband, these are pretty close to that. I am less of a fan personally of the 668B's compared to the HD 672. That being said I really like the HD 681 EVOs from Superlux. Going to look over the mods listed by DIYAudioHeaven and see if they can tame this headphone one day.

I also got my MH40's in and they are just as good as I remember them from my demo's through BB.

UPDATE!

So I decided to put an extra pair of Senitek velour's I had left over. HM5 clones in velour style. I hadn't found really any headphones I have liked them on, so I have a couple of pairs sitting here. Well I put them on the HD 672's and INSTANTLY 100 times better. The highes are thoroughly tamed. It is now smooth, silky, and way more comfortable. A lot more neutral sound signature and response. I can turn up the volume a bit more and hear the mids better. However, the mids still have a bit of a veil to them even after that. There is still a little bit of a mid-treble sibilance as well. The high treble hotness is gone though so that is a start. If you are willing to pick up or find some velour style HM5 earpads for these, then these headphones get much better IMHO.
Please share some pictures so that the nightmare's of those silicon pads go away T_T.

Sep 12, 2018 at 5:38 PM Post #4,377 of 7,153
Please share some pictures so that the nightmare's of those silicon pads go away T_T.

with or without the silicon pads? I am letting someone else use them at the moment to try them as well with the velour pads on. But I can snap pics with either setup. I will say the headphones are way better with the velour pads on. I also will say that they sounded better with shallow pads. So the HM5 velour clones I have are a bit too deep. If I squish the headphones in with those on they sound a little better. I will try to toss on some shallower velour pads when I can find them. I have them in a drawer somewhere, but the question is where.

Sep 13, 2018 at 3:36 PM Post #4,378 of 7,153
One thing I noticed after I went to put a review on the ebay order the Superlux HD 672 is that the ebay seller had a picture with a detachable cable version! I didn't get that as mine has an attached cable as pictured everywhere else. So I am wondering what the heck is up with those pictures on that ebay store.

Second, as I was browsing around the internet to verify if there was one, I ran across this strange looking Superlux. It's the HD 581 and it has a crazy looking headband. I don't see too much info about this one in English at least. Anyone here seen or tried one?

Sep 13, 2018 at 3:54 PM Post #4,379 of 7,153
One thing I noticed after I went to put a review on the ebay order the Superlux HD 672 is that the ebay seller had a picture with a detachable cable version! I didn't get that as mine has an attached cable as pictured everywhere else. So I am wondering what the heck is up with those pictures on that ebay store.

Second, as I was browsing around the internet to verify if there was one, I ran across this strange looking Superlux. It's the HD 581 and it has a crazy looking headband. I don't see too much info about this one in English at least. Anyone here seen or tried one?

tried looking on ebay for that detachable HD672, seems its just a render? maybe the plan was for it to be detachable and then Superlux ditched it for some reason.

Sep 13, 2018 at 7:42 PM Post #4,380 of 7,153
tried looking on ebay for that detachable HD672, seems its just a render? maybe the plan was for it to be detachable and then Superlux ditched it for some reason.

Yah, there a ton of "rendered" stock images of it with detachable cable. Nothing of one from an actual camera. So maybe they had that in the initial design and then scrapped it but still let out of those photos?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back