Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (On or Over Ear Headphones)
Sep 6, 2018 at 2:04 PM Post #4,351 of 7,153
Sep 6, 2018 at 2:19 PM Post #4,352 of 7,153
Sep 7, 2018 at 2:36 PM Post #4,353 of 7,153
Sound wise the M1 is like the Grado SR80 with a little less in the Mid-treble region. It has the same rolled off bass region it sounds like. The only real difference is the mid-treble is less forward. So while the Grado's make female vocals sound like they are in your face intimate, these make them step back a few steps.
Well this can be quite bad, because the real thing that makes of Grado SR80 something special it's exactly the fantastic mids, I love Grados and thier sound is unique really because of that

Sep 7, 2018 at 3:28 PM Post #4,354 of 7,153
Well this can be quite bad, because the real thing that makes of Grado SR80 something special it's exactly the fantastic mids, I love Grados and thier sound is unique really because of that

+1. Also, I don't have the SR80, but I've had the SR80i and the SR80e before -- and I have the Alessandro MS1e and Alessandro MS2i which are Grado phones, and the M1 really fell short, to my ears, of any of the Grado's.

Sep 8, 2018 at 8:59 AM Post #4,355 of 7,153
Coming soon. So far, so good.

DSC_1133_result.jpg

Sep 8, 2018 at 9:18 AM Post #4,358 of 7,153
+1. Also, I don't have the SR80, but I've had the SR80i and the SR80e before -- and I have the Alessandro MS1e and Alessandro MS2i which are Grado phones, and the M1 really fell short, to my ears, of any of the Grado's.

Well the M1's basically lack that mid centric intimacy and focus that the SR80 I have does. Otherwise it matches fairly close to the rest of the spectrum from my A/B comparisons. So if you like that mid focus, really sparkly treble, and lack of bass in a headphone then a Grado would be for you. If you like most of that, but don't like headphones too shouty in the mids, then maybe the M1's might be for you. If you like the Grado sound signature in all it's treble and mid focus, but wish it had a tiny bit more bass, then the M2 is right there. To me they were very close, but those are the basic differences I could hear. Since I like a bit more bass, I preferred the M2's out of the 3 sound wise. I prefer the SR80 comfort wise the most out of the 3. I prefer the M2 out of the three for looks. The SR80 are the least "portable" out of the bunch due to that obnoxious cord. That's the basic summary of the three I had.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2018 at 9:51 AM Post #4,360 of 7,153
Well the M1's basically lack that mid centric intimacy and focus that the SR80 I have does. Otherwise it matches fairly close to the rest of the spectrum from my A/B comparisons. So if you like that mid focus, really sparkly treble, and lack of bass in a headphone then a Grado would be for you. If you like most of that, but don't like headphones too shouty in the mids, then maybe the M1's might be for you. If you like the Grado sound signature in all it's treble and mid focus, but wish it had a tiny bit more bass, then the M2 is right there. To me they were very close, but those are the basic differences I could hear. Since I like a bit more bass, I preferred the M2's out of the 3 sound wise. I prefer the SR80 comfort wise the most out of the 3. I prefer the M2 out of the three for looks. The SR80 are the least "portable" out of the bunch due to that obnoxious cord. That's the basic summary of the three I had.

I might have ended up with a lemon M1 and that could explain why I really find them to fall significantly short of the Grado’s. What you describe doesn’t sound bad, just different, and when I pulled out my M1 pair two days ago to listen, they were thin, harsh, and I swear I heard some bad distortion or something - just something not right.

Sep 8, 2018 at 9:59 AM Post #4,361 of 7,153
I might have ended up with a lemon M1 and that could explain why I really find them to fall significantly short of the Grado’s. What you describe doesn’t sound bad, just different, and when I pulled out my M1 pair two days ago to listen, they were thin, harsh, and I swear I heard some bad distortion or something - just something not right.

Is it too late to return them?

Sep 8, 2018 at 11:23 AM Post #4,362 of 7,153
diyaudioheaven says those silicon pads mess up the sound of those Superlux's. That switching them to a velour ones would improve the sound drastically.
Umm, I'm pretty sure that Superlux would not have used the silicone if they messed up the sound of their own headphone. Is the DIY guy saying velour "would" improve the sound? If so, it means it's pure speculation and therefore doesn't really mean anything.

Sep 8, 2018 at 12:32 PM Post #4,363 of 7,153
Umm, I'm pretty sure that Superlux would not have used the silicone if they messed up the sound of their own headphone. Is the DIY guy saying velour "would" improve the sound? If so, it means it's pure speculation and therefore doesn't really mean anything.

I agree, Superlux wouldn't have made the expense of developing an entirely new pad just for the heck of it. They obviously did their homework.

I guess what pad "improves the sound" depends on what you're after. ANY pad rolling will change the sound, regardless of the headphone. It depends on what your individual preferences are.

For example, on the SHP9500, I've pad rolled about 10 different pads (everything from velours to pleathers to hybrids to DIY silicone-coated pads). They all change sound in different ways. I wouldn't universally come out and declare that "pad x is best", because my hearing and genre tastes are different then others'. If I was a basshead, I would not think velours were "the best", but perhaps rather pleathers. If I preferred a flat sound, I may not think hybrids or sheepskins were "the best".

Honestly, I hope generic silicone pads are made available by 3rd parties at some point. They will just become 1 more useful pad to add to an audiophile's pad rolling arsenal. They won't be for everyone, just like pleathers or sheepskins aren't for everyone. And they won't work well on every headphone (just like velours or angled pads). But they will work for some people on some headphones, and having more choices in audio products is more important than anything IMO.

Sep 8, 2018 at 2:17 PM Post #4,364 of 7,153
I agree, Superlux wouldn't have made the expense of developing an entirely new pad just for the heck of it. They obviously did their homework.

I guess what pad "improves the sound" depends on what you're after. ANY pad rolling will change the sound, regardless of the headphone. It depends on what your individual preferences are.

For example, on the SHP9500, I've pad rolled about 10 different pads (everything from velours to pleathers to hybrids to DIY silicone-coated pads). They all change sound in different ways. I wouldn't universally come out and declare that "pad x is best", because my hearing and genre tastes are different then others'. If I was a basshead, I would not think velours were "the best", but perhaps rather pleathers. If I preferred a flat sound, I may not think hybrids or sheepskins were "the best".

Honestly, I hope generic silicone pads are made available by 3rd parties at some point. They will just become 1 more useful pad to add to an audiophile's pad rolling arsenal. They won't be for everyone, just like pleathers or sheepskins aren't for everyone. And they won't work well on every headphone (just like velours or angled pads). But they will work for some people on some headphones, and having more choices in audio products is more important than anything IMO.
Wait! I finally got it, they said that the silicon pads won't wear off over time and do you know why because it won't be on the headphones but in a drawer locked away C:<

Sep 8, 2018 at 5:53 PM Post #4,365 of 7,153

I would recommend reading the review before drawing any conclusions (the review had mostly positive things to say):

https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/brand-superlux/hd672/

And considering $35 is the total cost of the headphone with the pads, and I’ve paid twice as much just for pads, who’s to say that Superlux didn’t make design compromises to hit a desired retail price point?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back