Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (On or Over Ear Headphones)
Jun 9, 2018 at 7:57 PM Post #3,961 of 7,153
Have any of you Sivga owners ever had the headband just shear off after light usage?

The headband metal (where it connects to the hinge/cup yokes) is paper thin, and it's made of aluminum not stainless steel. You know how easy it is to crush a soda pop can (aluminum) vs a soup can (steel) right? Aluminum is waaaay softer.

I know I'm not alone, because there are Amazon reviews complaining of the same problem.

There's also at least 1 HeadFier (@Adide) who received one pre-broken in shipping: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chi...-ear-headphones.822184/page-138#post-13774394

I would be VERY careful when taking your Sivgas on and off, as I don't know exactly how common the problem is.
I haven’t had any issues with the SV002 so far. I wonder if there was a bad build run or if it’s part of a design/material flaw.

Jun 9, 2018 at 8:03 PM Post #3,962 of 7,153
Must have spoken to HiFiMan about headbands

Yup, the build quality of hinges and headbands weighs very heavily when I am choosing headphones. I'm sure it stems from my nightclub DJ days, where you absolutely needed indestructible bombproof cans.

Sennheiser HD630VB (solid aluminum and stainless steel construction):
MD-27563_20161007135348_7e36eabc859eeb41.jpg

Philips A5 Pro (solid aluminum and stainless steel construction):
a5projpg.jpg

1More H1707 (solid aluminum and stainless steel construction):
metal-slider.jpg

1More MK801 (indestructible titanium headband):
ky_mk801-03.jpg

There's no worse feeling in your stomach than having a headphone snap in 2 that you've been babying since day 1.

Even if the sound of a 'bombproof' headphone isn't perfect, that can often be solved with a driver swap or tuning mods.

But flimsy headbands, fragile hinges, and paper thin materials are always going to be a problem, as it's a fundamental design issue. Just like the story of the 3 little pigs - do you want the house made of straw, sticks, or bricks?

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2018 at 8:03 PM Post #3,963 of 7,153
I need to get my walkman serviced, although I'd hate to think how annoying it might be to find someone who can do that nowadays.
Sounds like the premise for a new television series.

Servicer: Walkman (The Untold Story)

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2018 at 8:04 PM Post #3,964 of 7,153
Have any of you Sivga owners ever had the headband just shear off after light usage?

The headband metal (where it connects to the hinge/cup yokes) is paper thin, and it's made of aluminum not stainless steel. You know how easy it is to crush a soda pop can (aluminum) vs a soup can (steel) right? Aluminum is waaaay softer.

I know I'm not alone, because there are Amazon reviews complaining of the same problem.

There's also at least 1 HeadFier (@Adide) who received one pre-broken in shipping: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chi...-ear-headphones.822184/page-138#post-13774394

I would be VERY careful when taking your Sivgas on and off, as I don't know exactly how common the problem is.

Aluminum for coke can's isn't very sturdy, but I'm not ripping them in half bare handed either. Nor are most people. My guns are made with aluminum and so are many parts of planes too. They don't tend to sheer and break.

The headband on all my sets are fairly thick. Way thicker than the wall on a can of soda. While it could happen, even with steel, I don't see the headbands on those headphones sheering any time soon. I will say that with everything you can potentially buy, there is going to be duds. Sucks when it happens, but what makes a good company from a crappy company is how they handle their duds. Pretty sure Sivga isn't going to tell Adide their headphones broke because they were holding them wrong in the picture :) (aka apple with their 4s)

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2018 at 8:09 PM Post #3,965 of 7,153
Jun 9, 2018 at 8:27 PM Post #3,968 of 7,153
Aluminum for coke can's isn't very sturdy, but I'm not ripping them in half bare handed either. Nor are most people. My guns are made with aluminum and so are many parts of planes too. They don't tend to sheer and break.

The headband on all my sets are fairly thick. Way thicker than the wall on a can of soda. While it could happen, even with steel, I don't see the headbands on those headphones sheering any time soon. I will say that with everything you can potentially buy, there is going to be duds. Sucks when it happens, but what makes a good company from a crappy company is how they handle their duds. Pretty sure Sivga isn't going to tell Adide their headphones broke because they were holding them wrong in the picture :) (aka apple with their 4s)

I know, I wasn't trying to imply the Sivga headband was a thin as a Coke can.

What I meant was that steel is 2.5-3xs stronger than aluminum, in every regard (tensile strength, shear strength ductility, etc). A 1mm thick stainless headband will take all the punishment you can throw at it. A 1mm aluminum headband will not fare as well. I'd rather have the steel one (or titanium would be even better).

I'm sure I just got a dud. But if I get another pair I will treat it with kid gloves (even more than I usually do).

Jun 10, 2018 at 4:06 AM Post #3,970 of 7,153

Hi there.
Actually I've had a case of broken hinge - the thing that connects the yokes to the headband permitting cup pivoting.
Good to know about the other case you discovered as well.
Cheers.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2018 at 5:58 AM Post #3,971 of 7,153
I was looking on aliexepress and I found these ASD Originale MSUR N350, how do they sound?

Jun 10, 2018 at 6:01 AM Post #3,972 of 7,153
Yes.

I switch to them often as well.

Here is my review from my profile of them.

Bosshifi B7:
Original stock pads are more like On Ear pads and were a no go for me. They are comfortable for on ears, but I don't like anything on my ears. Sound wise they are okay with stock pads. Difference is less treble, fuller mids, and more bloomy bass than the B8 to compare with. While I don't mind that sound, many on head-fi won't like it as it isn't exactly a relaxing U shaped. That being said, I was accidentally sent a second updated pair of these. They have a new earpad and different foam inside. HUGE improvement in comfort and sound. Bass have zero bloom while the mids AND treble are full, detailed, and airy. Soundstage is improved. Any bad review you read before on the B7 was more than like on the older version with the crap stock earpads.

Great to know another B7 user as me. I get one and MODing it with better dynamic drivers, will share a review and MOD soon.

Jun 10, 2018 at 6:52 AM Post #3,973 of 7,153
So I was playing around a bit with the B7 this morning and thought I'd share some pictures of its internals in case anyone is interested:

20180610_122037.jpg
20180610_122052.jpg
20180610_123303.jpg
20180610_124315.jpg

As you can see in the third picture I've added some pieces of Dynamat extreme to reduce reflections/resonance and it works really well making the sound a bit more balanced and clean (this was easily noticeable comparing the sides before doing the second one) at the cost of a touch of the weight the bloom added. Some might actually enjoy them more with that bloom (I'm unsure of what I prefer myself), I'm going to use them a while with the Dynamat to make up my mind about what I prefer.

Last picture are the stock pads from mine. No wonder they sounded terrible, there's hardly any opening left on them ha ha.

I'm now using round BW velour pads on them but the fit is slightly lose, any suggestions for similar pads but a bit smaller would be great.

Jun 10, 2018 at 8:43 AM Post #3,974 of 7,153
So I was playing around a bit with the B7 this morning and thought I'd share some pictures of its internals in case anyone is interested:

As you can see in the third picture I've added some pieces of Dynamat extreme to reduce reflections/resonance and it works really well making the sound a bit more balanced and clean (this was easily noticeable comparing the sides before doing the second one) at the cost of a touch of the weight the bloom added. Some might actually enjoy them more with that bloom (I'm unsure of what I prefer myself), I'm going to use them a while with the Dynamat to make up my mind about what I prefer.

Last picture are the stock pads from mine. No wonder they sounded terrible, there's hardly any opening left on them ha ha.

I'm now using round BW velour pads on them but the fit is slightly lose, any suggestions for similar pads but a bit smaller would be great.

I'm actually doing much more aggressively - to replace the dynamic drivers to different models, and fundamentally change the character... better start a new thread and not get overwhelmed...

Jun 10, 2018 at 8:59 AM Post #3,975 of 7,153
I'm actually doing much more aggressively - to replace the dynamic drivers to different models, and fundamentally change the character... better start a new thread and not get overwhelmed...

Sounds interesting, good luck :)

I was also thinking about replacing the drivers if I didn't like them but I honestly see no reason to do so other than to try something different. As always YMMV.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back