Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (On or Over Ear Headphones)
May 16, 2018 at 7:55 PM Post #3,707 of 7,153
Im planning to switch my ISK HD9999 to MDH9000 (or one of its clones) and ive heard that they are somewhat similar to Oneodio/Yenona Studio Pros which i own currently. Is ISK really and upgrade to it and what are the main differences between them?
I own the Yenona and the HAS-30, the HAS-30 is better in pretty much all aspects. I think I'll give my Yenona a listen again tonight

May 16, 2018 at 8:02 PM Post #3,708 of 7,153
I own the Yenona and the HAS-30, the HAS-30 is better in pretty much all aspects. I think I'll give my Yenona a listen again tonight

Sounds promising! Can you possibly write a small description about how they sound?

May 16, 2018 at 8:31 PM Post #3,709 of 7,153
Sounds promising! Can you possibly write a small description about how they sound?
Yes as soon as I get a chance over the next few days

May 16, 2018 at 8:38 PM Post #3,710 of 7,153
Well what would you know.. they were waiting for me when I got home today.

I only listened a few times now back on that track @trellus posted previously. Especially at the 16 second mark. They are a little high, but not off the chart for me. My HE4XX sound good through the first 30 seconds. I put the OKCSC and they are a bit higher in treble at the same relative volume, but they are a scotch higher than the DT880 headphones I have. I think something to tone down the high end would make these really nice overall. But as trellus says, if you are treble sensitive these are probably not the right headphones for you.

The cable and case they came with from Amazon are very good considering the price.

Comfor wise, they clamp my head too tight right now, since I haven't tried stretching the headband, and that makes them press too hard on my ears to be comfortable. Since the headband is all metal, stretching it later shouldnt be a problem.

I don't have grado's to compare with unfortunately. I will say that if they are close to grado's in terms of sound and build, then these aren't a bad price overall considering the detachable cable.

Last edited:
May 16, 2018 at 9:27 PM Post #3,711 of 7,153

I have the original Yenonas (before that name disappeared & "Oneodio" came in). I keep them in another place and haven't heard them since last summer. But before that I heard them quite often.

I also have the Marantz MPH-2s, one of the 4-5 clones of the ISK MDH9000. Also had the LyxPro HAS-30s, which are sonically identical (pretty sure all the clones sound the same, so long as they have the same excellent stock pads on).

And I also have a pair of Akai Professional 50Xs, complete w/HAS-30 pads and every mod @Slater could think of for this headphone. That's a whole other thing, that modded HP.

A brief summary of the clone's sound vs Yenona/Oneodio:

ISK MDH9000 clones
  • the bass. THE BASS. it's the first thing you notice, and the best thing about these headphones. the entire bass range is broadly shelved up somewhat, but if you like bass, that won't be a problem. there actually is sub-bass, too...unexpected
  • mids are somewhat recessed, but not anything major. mids sound rather pleasing
  • treble is shelved down somewhat, which didn't bother me.
  • overall tonality is very ear-friendly. no ear-splitting transients or bombastic/peaky treble here. you can listen to these a long time w/o ear fatigue. they have a calm quality that is uncommon in inexpensive headphones.
  • soundstage is shockingly good for a closed back. it's a very pleasing part of the overall sound.
  • dynamics aren't attention-getting/ballistic, but they seem appropriate for whatever music is at hand.
  • net/net: these are great headphones for studio pop, rock, blues, anything with a solid bass line. they don't embarrass themselves on jazz or acoustic music, either, though they're not the best choice for classical (in case that matters).
Yenona/Oneodio
  • bass is very nice--kind of bouncy & dynamic. not much sub-bass that I could tell.
  • it's a real v-shaped HP w/mids that are OK but not particularly informative, musically.
  • then things get sparkly from upper mids on up. at first I loved this overall sound, but after several months of use (mind you, this was all after 150 hrs of burn-in) my Yenona's became inexplicably brighter...something I never ran into before.

Both headphones are lots of fun. I'd bet either would be good for gaming or movies. The Yenonas appear to have more resolution & dynamics on 1st listen, but that's probably due to their somewhat peakier treble.

My pick would be any of the ISK MDH9000 clones. But if you happen to get the Akai version, you really should buy the aftermarket HAS-30 earpads and replace the trash-pads the Akai's come with (all the other clones have the HAS-30-type pads, which are excellent).

May 16, 2018 at 9:28 PM Post #3,712 of 7,153
Also, if anybody is interested, I do have my Pioneer HRM-6 for sale in my sig. Less than half what they retail for.

May 16, 2018 at 9:35 PM Post #3,713 of 7,153
Well what would you know.. they were waiting for me when I got home today.

I only listened a few times now back on that track @trellus posted previously. Especially at the 16 second mark. They are a little high, but not off the chart for me. My HE4XX sound good through the first 30 seconds. I put the OKCSC and they are a bit higher in treble at the same relative volume, but they are a scotch higher than the DT880 headphones I have. I think something to tone down the high end would make these really nice overall. But as trellus says, if you are treble sensitive these are probably not the right headphones for you.

The cable and case they came with from Amazon are very good considering the price.

Comfor wise, they clamp my head too tight right now, since I haven't tried stretching the headband, and that makes them press too hard on my ears to be comfortable. Since the headband is all metal, stretching it later shouldnt be a problem.

I don't have grado's to compare with unfortunately. I will say that if they are close to grado's in terms of sound and build, then these aren't a bad price overall considering the detachable cable.

Perfect timing, thanks, @Humblepie.... I also found the clamp a little too tight on my head, but given that scary picture on Amazon of the broken headband, I was a little leery of stretching them out. :sweat_smile:

They just don't sound as .... smooth or liquid, refined, to me as the Grado SR325i I have; they have a rougher, grainier texture that gets screechier to my ears as I raise the volume. I can raise the volume on the SR325i louder without that effect. On the other hand, they're quite, quite a bit cheaper than the SR325i, and they do have a similar sound signature, certainly.

It's probably fairer to compare them to SR60e since they are closer in price point, but I've never had the SR60e. I do have eGrado, which reportedly use the SR60e drivers, and I may take them with me to the office tomorrow for a brief comparison to the OKCSC -- and incidentally, the eGrado are $49.99, so that's almost an exact price match with the OKCSC, although the eGrado have a very cheap plastic build, and there's no question that the OKCSC are much prettier and have a nicer build.

Last edited:
May 17, 2018 at 4:37 AM Post #3,714 of 7,153
I have the original Yenonas (before that name disappeared & "Oneodio" came in). I keep them in another place and haven't heard them since last summer. But before that I heard them quite often.

I also have the Marantz MPH-2s, one of the 4-5 clones of the ISK MDH9000. Also had the LyxPro HAS-30s, which are sonically identical (pretty sure all the clones sound the same, so long as they have the same excellent stock pads on).

And I also have a pair of Akai Professional 50Xs, complete w/HAS-30 pads and every mod @Slater could think of for this headphone. That's a whole other thing, that modded HP.

A brief summary of the clone's sound vs Yenona/Oneodio:

ISK MDH9000 clones
  • the bass. THE BASS. it's the first thing you notice, and the best thing about these headphones. the entire bass range is broadly shelved up somewhat, but if you like bass, that won't be a problem. there actually is sub-bass, too...unexpected
  • mids are somewhat recessed, but not anything major. mids sound rather pleasing
  • treble is shelved down somewhat, which didn't bother me.
  • overall tonality is very ear-friendly. no ear-splitting transients or bombastic/peaky treble here. you can listen to these a long time w/o ear fatigue. they have a calm quality that is uncommon in inexpensive headphones.
  • soundstage is shockingly good for a closed back. it's a very pleasing part of the overall sound.
  • dynamics aren't attention-getting/ballistic, but they seem appropriate for whatever music is at hand.
  • net/net: these are great headphones for studio pop, rock, blues, anything with a solid bass line. they don't embarrass themselves on jazz or acoustic music, either, though they're not the best choice for classical (in case that matters).
Yenona/Oneodio
  • bass is very nice--kind of bouncy & dynamic. not much sub-bass that I could tell.
  • it's a real v-shaped HP w/mids that are OK but not particularly informative, musically.
  • then things get sparkly from upper mids on up. at first I loved this overall sound, but after several months of use (mind you, this was all after 150 hrs of burn-in) my Yenona's became inexplicably brighter...something I never ran into before.

Both headphones are lots of fun. I'd bet either would be good for gaming or movies. The Yenonas appear to have more resolution & dynamics on 1st listen, but that's probably due to their somewhat peakier treble.

My pick would be any of the ISK MDH9000 clones. But if you happen to get the Akai version, you really should buy the aftermarket HAS-30 earpads and replace the trash-pads the Akai's come with (all the other clones have the HAS-30-type pads, which are excellent).

Thanks for your detailed answer, really appreciate it.

Im not sure are their mids really that recessed or are the treble and bass just a bit boosted over them. This graph matches pretty well with your description:

9755655_thumb.png

It looks somewhat similar to Pro 82 except mids seem to be more even on Marantz/ISK (Dont know how reliable this graph is but this is pretty close to how they sound to me):

9943500.png

Im writing a review for Pro 82 and im just curious about how they compare against each other. Im probably going to order original ISK MDH9000 after i have sold HD9999.

Last edited:
May 17, 2018 at 4:44 AM Post #3,715 of 7,153
Thanks for your detailed answer, really appreciate it.

Im not sure are their mids really that recessed or are the treble and bass just a bit boosted over them. THis graph matches pretty well with your description:

9755655_thumb.png

It looks somewhat similar to Pro 82 except mids seem to be more even. (Dont know how reliable this graph is but this is pretty close to how they sound to me).

9943500.png

Im writing a review for Pro 82 and im just curious about how they compare against each other. Im probably going to order original ISK MDH9000 after i have sold HD9999.

The Pro82 and Yenona are very different sounding headphones. The Yenona has pretty massive bass impact while the Pro82 severely lack bass drive and impact. The Yenona has too much bass (mostly midbass) for me while the Pro82 is one of the least engaging headphones I've heard....

I'd rate them at about the same performance level, with maybe a slight advantage to the Pro82, but like I said they're really different.

May 17, 2018 at 4:50 AM Post #3,716 of 7,153
The Pro82 and Yenona are very different sounding headphones. The Yenona has pretty massive bass impact while the Pro82 severely lack bass drive and impact. The Yenona has too much bass (mostly midbass) for me while the Pro82 is one of the least engaging headphones I've heard....

I'd rate them at about the same performance level, with maybe a slight advantage to the Pro82, but like I said they're really different.

Im sorry but can you read? I mentioned that i own Yenona/Oneodio and they are indeed completely different headphones. I prefer Pro 82 over them any day. That graph is for ISK MDH9000-copy not for Yenona.

May 17, 2018 at 6:33 AM Post #3,717 of 7,153
Im sorry but can you read? I mentioned that i own Yenona/Oneodio and they are indeed completely different headphones. I prefer Pro 82 over them any day. That graph is for ISK MDH9000-copy not for Yenona.

Nice attitude!

I'm sure you have a lot of fun.....

Now I can't read your posts :wink:

Last edited:
May 17, 2018 at 6:46 AM Post #3,718 of 7,153
...It looks somewhat similar to Pro 82 except mids seem to be more even on Marantz/ISK (Dont know how reliable this graph is but this is pretty close to how they sound to me):
9943500.png

Here are the Pro 82 measurements:
upload_2018-5-17_13-45-40.png

May 17, 2018 at 7:09 AM Post #3,719 of 7,153
Here are the Pro 82 measurements:

There are so many of them and they all look slightly different, i dont know which of them i should trust. But graphs don tell the whole story anyway.

May 17, 2018 at 7:25 AM Post #3,720 of 7,153
There are so many of them and they all look slightly different, i dont know which of them i should trust. But graphs don tell the whole story anyway.
Green and Blue lines are from the first batch of Pro 82 (came with 2.2m cable)
Red, Black and Brown are from the second batch of Pro 82 (came with 1.6m cable)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back