Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (On or Over Ear Headphones)
Apr 9, 2018 at 8:26 PM Post #3,271 of 7,153

Anyone want to test a made in china Audeze LCD 4 Clone? https://www.aliexpress.com/item/106...-Headphones-balanced-version/32787508555.html
Not cheap. The name is Leagginal Planar headphone.
That freq response doesn't not look like something that they should be too proud of anyway. In any case there is so much quality control concerns with hifiman and monoliths and even audeze that buying this kind of product from China does require what can only be described as a lion heart

Apr 9, 2018 at 10:17 PM Post #3,274 of 7,153
What size drivers are you looking to fit - 40mm? 42mm? 45mm? 50mm?

Is the driver designed for closed? Semi-open? Open? Do you know the approximate cup volume of the headphones where the drivers you are using came from?

Keep in mind transplanting doesn't always work out the way you plan. I have transplanted drivers and they ended up sounding like crap. The most ideal way would be to transplant the CUPS, not the DRIVERS. For example, the headband broke on some soundMAGIC HP150 cans. So I found a compatible headband from a Superlux headphone, and just transplanted the entire soundMAGIC cups over. That way, the sound didn't change.

Just some ideas to think about...
I have been looking to do just that but had not found a compatible pair in a while. Which Superlux did you use? The closest I see is the HD66.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2018 at 11:09 PM Post #3,275 of 7,153
Well, "Leagginal" (whoever that is) gets the "Brass Balls for Asking so Much $$" award for the week.

No kidding! :D

Yeah, no. I’d either put that much into a real Audeze or if I wanted a budget alternative, I’d pull the trigger on one of the Monoprice Monolith planar models like the 1060 or the 1060C.

Apr 10, 2018 at 12:11 AM Post #3,276 of 7,153
I have been looking to do just that but had not found a compatible pair in a while. Which Superlux did you use? The closest I see is the HD66.

I'm not familiar with the Superlux HD66. Got a link or more info on it?

What headphone are you trying to fix (or transplant, etc)? And what's wrong with it (broken hinge, etc?)

For the soundMAGIC HP150, the Superlux HD660 frame was a perfct fit (ie yokes and headband). It was like $20 from Gearbest one time, so it was a no-brainer.

I did have to do a very minor mod to the cup mounting tabs of the HD660, so the soundMAGIC cups would have full range of tilt.

Now, just because the Superlux HD660 fit the soundMAGIC HP150 (and HP200) cups, doesn't mean they would work for other stuff. I picked the Superlux because the cup diameters were the same, and I knew the mounting of the yokes would be (almost perfectly) compatible. When you're trying to do a cup transplant, you have to check a variety of headphones, be willing to do a few minor mods or tweaks to get it all to fit, and it's helpful if you can see the headphones 1st (or at least find a seller willing to provide you with a few accurate measurements). It was also important for me to find an inexpensive donor as well, as it makes no sense to spend $100 on a donor headphone when I could have just bought another soundMAGIC HP150 for that. But at $20 for the Superlux, it was a no brainer.

I will also mention that if you're a wizard with a 3D printer, then the world is your oyster for the most part. I don't have access to one (nor know how to use one), so I have to do every mod old school. I.e. adapting/modifying other parts and materials (like PVC pipe parts) or inventing my own mounting tabs out of a hunk of plastic or strip of metal, lots of epoxy or hot glue - stuff like that. I find the problem solving fun and rewarding though.

I mean, look at what you can accomplish with enough determination:

Adapting over-ear oval pads to a headphone that came with small round on-ear pads:
meizu2.jpg

Convert broken bluetooth headphones into open-backed donors:
IMG-0197.JPG

Make xduoo X3 case out of a $2 Nintendo DS case:
X3_stack_1.JPG

Add a belt clip to xduoo X3 from a broken pocket knife:
pocket.JPG

Make a very accurate IEM measuring rig out of a syringe:
Syringe.JPG

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2018 at 11:55 AM Post #3,278 of 7,153
"Make a very accurate IEM measuring rig out of a syringe:"

(wow) I know negative nothing about IEMs, but have to ask: what does this rig actually measure?

FR of IEMs:

EDR1-stock.png
EDR2-stock.png

Apr 10, 2018 at 12:18 PM Post #3,279 of 7,153

Actually the B7s is the closed revision of the B7. I was just checking it out on aliexpress. Anyone have any thoughts on the B7s? It looks like the B7s was released recently.

Here is a link to the B7s, and here is a link to the B7 (via Aliexpress).

I've heard from several folks here that the B8 is superior to the B7.

Also, I thought these were dynamic driver headphones with a Balanced Armature?

On amazon they list these w/ a Dynamic Driver & BA, but on Aliexpress they are listed w/ Ndfeb driver only.

HTB1fiSBhx1YBuNjy1zcq6zNcXXaR.jpg

Apr 10, 2018 at 12:23 PM Post #3,280 of 7,153
Actually the B7s is the closed revision of the B7. I was just checking it out on aliexpress. Anyone have any thoughts on the B7s? It looks like the B7s was released recently.

On amazon they list these w/ a Dynamic Driver & BA, but on Aliexpress they are listed w/ Ndfeb driver only.

This is a long thread...I'm almost certain the B7 & B8 were repeatedly commented on/quasi-reviewed in this thread, but maybe last year?

Apr 10, 2018 at 1:51 PM Post #3,284 of 7,153

BA might not mean balanced armature. It can be a typo. Should have Said Be (beryllium) or it could be Ba(beryllium alloy). Ndfeb means neodiym magnet. Allmost all headphones use those.

Main problem with B7 is that it is barely open. Hole in The cups is just a big bassport. Bass is overpowering drowning other frequencies. Also the small earpad opening increases bass. B7S has larger earpad opening and less air for the driver so it might sound very different. Propably closer to B8 than B7. This is speculation since I only own B6 and B7 but I'm quite sure that is how B7S sounds IF The drivers are identical.

Apr 10, 2018 at 2:16 PM Post #3,285 of 7,153
BA might not mean balanced armature. It can be a typo. Should have Said Be (beryllium) or it could be Ba(beryllium alloy). Ndfeb means neodiym magnet. Allmost all headphones use those.

Main problem with B7 is that it is barely open. Hole in The cups is just a big bassport. Bass is overpowering drowning other frequencies. Also the small earpad opening increases bass. B7S has larger earpad opening and less air for the driver so it might sound very different. Propably closer to B8 than B7. This is speculation since I only own B6 and B7 but I'm quite sure that is how B7S sounds IF The drivers are identical.

Roderick is right, these headphones do not have balanced armature drivers (which are tiny and only used in in-ear headphones, not large over-ear). Very likely beryllium vapor deposition on a polymer driver. At one time I owned both the Bosshifi B8 and B7, and can confirm the B8 has a pleasant V-shape to the sound, whereas the B7 has massive bass and pretty intense highs (bass can be tamed to an extent with pad changes). They might have the same drivers, with differences in the cups and pads changing the sound.

For people who like to order from Amazon Prime in the US, the company "SIVGA" brands the various Bosshifi products and sells them through Amazon in retail packages (i.e. there's a real box and often things like a travel case and second cable/adapter, while the Bosshifi headphones I've purchased from Aliexpress sellers have just come packed in a plain brown shipping box in some bubble wrap, one cable, no adapter, and zero branding). The SIVGA SV006 is the Bosshifi B8, The SV003 looks like it's the B7S, and then there are a couple of semi-open back variants with larger diameter openings than the B7 called the SV004 and SV007 as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back