Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (On or Over Ear Headphones)
Oct 19, 2018 at 9:27 PM Post #4,651 of 7,153
For what it's worth, rosewood is a "tone wood," very often used for guitar fretboards. It's also harder/denser than walnut. Not sure about pore size/distribution, another important wood characteristic.

I would have personally preferred Rosewood over Walnut (for the gorgeous looks and tone). Unfortunately, I had to go with Walnut because that's all the seller had left in stock to trade for my busted one. So it was Walnut or nothing.

I agree on the fretboards. The vast majority of fretboards that I have experience with are rosewood (although they are available in other woods). The soundboard and/or bodies vary (and produce different tones as you mentioned).

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2018 at 9:42 PM Post #4,652 of 7,153
Thanks, but I allready know the drivers are very different. Picture from some french sv007 review.

Here is my n350

You are right - the msur drivers look very different than the Sivga ones.

BTW, do you have a link to that french review?

I would be curious to know what wood it used. It's hard to tell reliably from the photo, due to lighting differences, the camera used, color balance, etc.

Because if it is Rosewood, that might validate my theory that there IS tuning and/or driver differences between different models called "SV007".

Here's one thing I noticed right away from the photo you posted. The SV007 from the french review has NO vent tuning holes in the biofiber tuning paper:

2.JPG

Yet mine does. Mine has 2 small vent holes in the tuning paper:

1.JPG

And no, the holes are not obstructed by the plastic frame of the cup in the top photo. My plastic frame looks the same as the top one - I just didn't feel like taking my cup apart to take my photo, so I just showed the tuning holes from the front side. This

Also, a side note - I like the driver wiring used on your msurs - that wire gauge is BEEFY! The Sivgas use very small gauge wire in comparison.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2018 at 9:47 PM Post #4,653 of 7,153
So I finally got my Sivga SV007 issue sorted out, and bottom line is I got a brand new pair.

I have to say, this is a very impressive sounding headphone. Looks good, impressive soundstage, and comfortable to wear (but I did have to loosen the clamp by bending the headband). The stock cable looks like something that came from a dollar store headphone, so I recommend changing that to something better.

Also, I wasn't completely sold with the sound of the fenestrated ear pads out of the box (ie perforated with holes). I mean, they are comfy and were a bit cooler than non-fenestrated ear pads. But the sound seems a bit thin and not full-bodied. The mids have a touch of hollowness that was a little off-putting.

I tried some normal pleather pads (ie not fenestrated), and boom the sound is very full-bodied, bass increased slightly, and the mids sounded much better. I may try out the stock pads again, but for now the regular pleather pads are staying.

Also, there was an odd distortion/vibration on the left side. I naturally assumed that the driver had some problem and the headphones were defective. To my surprise, when I pulled off the pads and looked, there was a small scrap of cotton tuning paper sitting on the driver diaphragm (in other words, the same tuning paper used to tune the vents on the rear of the driver). I lifted up the nylon mesh covering the driver, and carefully removed the debris with tweezers. All of the games of "Operation" I played as a kid finally paid off, as I had a steady hand and removed it perfectly without touching the fragile diaphragm! I then put everything back together and everything sounded perfect. So the lesson is to always check over your gear after receiving it. You never know what kind of QC issues you'll find!

Unfortunately my digital camera had a malfunction, and didn't record any of the photos to the memory card. So I have no photos of the paper debris, so you'll just have to use your imagination :frowning2:

If you have a chance to pick up a pair of these open-backed wooden beauties, do so!

Funnily enough, I listened to my Sivga SV007 last night because I was reading a review on the Monoprice M650, which have a very similar looking frame, and which from the description of the sound I thought might also have some sonic resemblance to the SV007.

Oct 19, 2018 at 9:54 PM Post #4,654 of 7,153
Funnily enough, I listened to my Sivga SV007 last night because I was reading a review on the Monoprice M650, which have a very similar looking frame, and which from the description of the sound I thought might also have some sonic resemblance to the SV007.

Wow, I checked the photos of that Monoprice M650, and it does use the identical headband. I can tell it's the same exact headband because on the inside part of the hinge there's the same identical black plastic inserts with 2 Torx screws on the top and 4 Torx screws on the bottom. Everything about that headband exactly matches the Sivga.

Poor Monoprice - they are going to have complaints when the headband starts snapping on customers. They should have went with a different headband, or at least forced the manufacturer (probably Bosshifi) to reinforce the headband.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2018 at 10:06 PM Post #4,655 of 7,153
I just checked my box and sure enough, just as @Slater said, they laughingly say "wood color" for "Color:" on the side of the box under "Product Parameters" :D

iWhy19A2RV+PbGmlrdrH7g.jpg

Also, I checked and it seems I have the rosewood, judging by the pics and comparing it to mine, so I guess it would sound different than your walnut SV007, @Slater .... is that right?:

U9PACYt7TTCEGie0RPGZNQ.jpg

Oct 19, 2018 at 10:57 PM Post #4,656 of 7,153
I just checked my box and sure enough, just as @Slater said, they laughingly say "wood color" for "Color:" on the side of the box under "Product Parameters" :D

Also, I checked and it seems I have the rosewood, judging by the pics and comparing it to mine, so I guess it would sound different than your walnut SV007, @Slater .... is that right?:

Yeah, yours look like Rosewood. They definitely have a red color. As far as the sound, I don't know if they sound the same as my Walnut or not. I don't have a Rosewood to directly compare.

If you are willing to remove 1 of your pads, let me know if there are (2) small holes in the white tuning paper (as seen in my photo a few posts up with the yellow squares where the holes are). If you do NOT have those vent holes, then it will sound (at least somewhat) different than my Walnut. How different and at what frequencies would have to be determined.

Also, I thought I'd mention 1 more thing I noticed...your retail box looks exactly like mine - a white box with a black half-sleeve that slides onto the side.

Here is everything included in your SV007 Rosewood and my SV007 Walnut, as seen in this SV007 Rosewood Amazon listing (https://www.amazon.com/SIVGA-Headphones-Powerful-Headset-Earmuffs/dp/B0728DY8R9). Note the white box and no carry case:

1.jpg

Interestingly, other SV007 Rosewood listings include a totally different setup. A black retail box, as well as a nice black zippered carry case (taken from Amazon listing https://www.amazon.com/SIVGA-SV007-Headphones-Headset-Rosewood/dp/B0718VWCB9):

2.jpg

So I'm not sure what the deal with the 2 versions are. Both listings are for Rosewood SV007. Are there different versions of the exact same thing? Could the white boxed version be counterfeit (the poorly written Chinglish and vague specifications on the box might be evidence of that).

It is quite the mystery...

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2018 at 11:09 PM Post #4,657 of 7,153
I highly doubt they use different woods in the first place. Unless there is a discernible difference in the wood grain of the so called ' different' types used, in my opinion, its just a different wood dye used. I have dyed my old furniture before when I had to replace the old worn out varnish, and they have a wide range of wood dyes from almost clear to deep red and if you fancy, even deep blue.

Oct 20, 2018 at 6:11 AM Post #4,658 of 7,153
The good news is... the OKCSC ZX1 is in!

The bad news is... they're so so hideous! :p
5F3D93F0-6637-4E92-A58E-D1D46C9F8AAE.jpeg

Oct 20, 2018 at 6:17 AM Post #4,659 of 7,153

I disagree! They look awesome!

Oct 20, 2018 at 7:04 AM Post #4,662 of 7,153

OH

MY

HOLY

%\^\£{%\!!!

These are SO GOOD!

Oct 20, 2018 at 8:42 AM Post #4,664 of 7,153
Yeah, yours look like Rosewood. They definitely have a red color. As far as the sound, I don't know if they sound the same as my Walnut or not. I don't have a Rosewood to directly compare.

If you are willing to remove 1 of your pads, let me know if there are (2) small holes in the white tuning paper (as seen in my photo a few posts up with the yellow squares where the holes are). If you do NOT have those vent holes, then it will sound (at least somewhat) different than my Walnut. How different and at what frequencies would have to be determined.

Also, I thought I'd mention 1 more thing I noticed...your retail box looks exactly like mine - a white box with a black half-sleeve that slides onto the side.

Here is everything included in your SV007 Rosewood and my SV007 Walnut, as seen in this SV007 Rosewood Amazon listing (https://www.amazon.com/SIVGA-Headphones-Powerful-Headset-Earmuffs/dp/B0728DY8R9). Note the white box and no carry case:

Interestingly, other SV007 Rosewood listings include a totally different setup. A black retail box, as well as a nice black zippered carry case (taken from Amazon listing https://www.amazon.com/SIVGA-SV007-Headphones-Headset-Rosewood/dp/B0718VWCB9):

So I'm not sure what the deal with the 2 versions are. Both listings are for Rosewood SV007. Are there different versions of the exact same thing? Could the white boxed version be counterfeit (the poorly written Chinglish and vague specifications on the box might be evidence of that).

It is quite the mystery...

1. I removed left ear pad and it does have those two small holes in the white tuning paper:

ymXVrOPJT7Kf71Ze0ftPxg.jpg hoONOSifTmyGzL+GsqwCjw.jpg

2. Yeah, I have the same box setup as yours, it's that weird half box with a black half-sleeve that slides over it and I have the exact accessories that you showed come with that setup, as opposed to the nicer (in my view) setup that has a case. I wouldn't mind that case. :) Instead I have no case, and the exact two cables and airplane adapter that come with the white box. I will say that if the version we have is a counterfeit, it's at least (to my ears) a good-sounding counterfeit. :)

Oct 20, 2018 at 8:52 AM Post #4,665 of 7,153
OH

MY

HOLY

%\^\£{%\!!!

These are SO GOOD!

Dang you, I was already putting off this purchase for a while and now you are joining the chorus of voices making me want to get them sooner... but gotta save up to get the Grado GW100 wireless 'phones first.

But I'm so curious about these ZX1!

I'm even willing to suspend my worry about getting replacement pads for them, since they're huge pads and I'm confident no third party makes pads for these.

Has anyone contacted OKCSC (are they a real company, or is that a brand?) to see about replacement pads for these?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back