Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (On or Over Ear Headphones)
Aug 30, 2018 at 9:53 PM Post #4,321 of 7,153
It's tricky recommending stuff like glues foams etc since this is a global forum. Sometimes I get recommened "buy that red stuff from wallmart". There's only the atlantic ocean between me and the nearest wallmart. Actually since I live 100km from russian border there is actually whole europe between me and the atlantic. Anyway...

Would be cool If people recommend brand stuff available globally. Then one can find a corresponding item on their local market. Like @Slater mentioned gorilla glue. Easy to Google The properties and then buy something similar If original is not available.

Talking about gorillas... I bought gorilla tape while ago. I intended to apply a ring of tape on the outer edge of a malfunctioning driver. Sadly the tape is so sticky that I could not cut it to a proper shape. For whatever the reason the driver has too much pistonic movement causing the voice coil rattle. I had previously fixed it with bluetack but as it hardens over time it needs to be replaced.

I agree. Like you said, the best you can do is cross reference and find a suitable substitute.

I will certainly try to be more aware of not making specific brand references, for our global friends :)

That Gorilla tape is some wicked stuff for sure! And believe it or not, the company is right here in my city only 15 minutes from my house (Cincinnati, Ohio USA).

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2018 at 10:37 AM Post #4,322 of 7,153
Guys, I know many of you will be upset about the silicone pads but holy crap, the HD672 sounds great. My review will be up sometime over the weekend.

Superlux HD672 outer earcup.jpg

Aug 31, 2018 at 2:24 PM Post #4,323 of 7,153
Guys, I know many of you will be upset about the silicone pads but holy crap, the HD672 sounds great. My review will be up sometime over the weekend.

Do the pads come off like regular pads? Can they just be replaced with normal protein leather pads?

My understanding is that the silicone pads get hot, but I imagine they would be good for working out due to their sweat resistance.

Update: looks like I answered my own question. Replacing the pads is not only possible, in fact it improves the sound: http://diyah.boards.net/thread/1840/superlux-hd672#post-29976

Also, the info at that link states there is a 2nd revision of the headphone, that improves upon the original version.

Nice! I’ll keep an eye out for a sale on a set.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2018 at 2:28 PM Post #4,324 of 7,153
Do the pads come off like regular pads? Can they just be replaced with normal protein leather pads?

My understanding is that the silicone pads get hot, but I imagine they would be good for working out due to their sweat resistance.
Yes, they come off exactly like regular ones. I've been meaning to test the HD668B pads but actually, I've gotten used to the silicone (and it hasn't been too hot here lately).

I just learned that MSRP will be $79 at launch but expect to see it go down over time. That was a bit of a shock but after listening for several days I would gladly pay that much, even with the silicone pads :)

Sep 2, 2018 at 2:30 PM Post #4,325 of 7,153
Sep 2, 2018 at 3:02 PM Post #4,326 of 7,153
There will be controversy surrounding the company's choice to use silicone earpads but if you give it a chance there may even be tears of joy. The Superlux HD672.
https://primeaudio.org/superlux-hd672-review/

Great review.

BTW, from examining the photos, that fixed cable looks like it would be incredibly easy to swap out for a normal 3.5mm jack. The area where the cable goes into the cups is nice and sturdy and most of all flat and roomy. That’s ideal for modding it with a 3.5mm jack.

Sep 2, 2018 at 5:16 PM Post #4,327 of 7,153
Sep 2, 2018 at 5:25 PM Post #4,329 of 7,153
Darn I checked just before but wasn't t able to find it. Wonder why I was told the high MSRP.
I dunno. Perhaps there is a V2 coming out soon as @Slater mentioned (?).

Sep 2, 2018 at 10:55 PM Post #4,331 of 7,153
There will be controversy surrounding the company's choice to use silicone earpads but if you give it a chance there may even be tears of joy. The Superlux HD672.
https://primeaudio.org/superlux-hd672-review/

pads can be changed if you can't get used to it, but the non-removable cable means I can't pair this with a boompro mic, quite sad. Was hoping for a new Superlux to recommend for my gamer friends.

Sep 3, 2018 at 5:44 AM Post #4,332 of 7,153
Great review.

BTW, from examining the photos, that fixed cable looks like it would be incredibly easy to swap out for a normal 3.5mm jack. The area where the cable goes into the cups is nice and sturdy and most of all flat and roomy. That’s ideal for modding it with a 3.5mm jack.
But why remove the amazing system in the first place?

Sep 3, 2018 at 12:11 PM Post #4,333 of 7,153
But why remove the amazing system in the first place?

A super long fixed cable that does not allow portable use, inline music control, a mic, or replacement when it goes bad is amazing? Maybe for some people.

Adding a removable jack allows ultimate flexibility:
  • Using a cable of any length, and the ability to switch between them at will (short for portable use or long for TV watching for example)
  • Using upgraded cables such as silver plated or braided cables
  • Use of heavier conductor cables for amplifier use
  • Use of balanced cables (with the appropriate jack and wiring)
  • Replacement of stock cables in cases where the manufacturer used a poor quality cable or high impedance cable
  • Use of cables with inline music/volume controls
  • Adding a boom mic such as BoomPro or ModMic for gaming
  • Temporary removal of the cable for more compact storage in a case
  • To replace a damaged or proprietary stock cable
  • Extending a headphone’s life significantly, by replacing the part that goes bad most often
I’ve done it to numerous headphones, and I have never looked back.

Besides, if the stock cable is really nice I just terminate the end with a plug once it is removed from the headphone and keep using the cable (but now it is removable).

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2018 at 12:13 PM Post #4,334 of 7,153
A super long fixed cable that does not allow portable use, inline music control, a mic, or replacement when it goes bad is amazing?

• Using a cable of any length (for portable use for example)
  • Using upgraded cables such as silver plated
  • Replacement of stock cables in cases where the manufacturer used a poor quality cable or high impedance cable

Besides, if the stock cable is really nice I just terminate the end with a plug once it is removed from the headphone and keep using the cable (but now it is removable).

I wish I was your neighbor...

Sep 3, 2018 at 12:16 PM Post #4,335 of 7,153
A super long fixed cable that does not allow portable use, inline music control, a mic, or replacement when it goes bad is amazing?

• Using a cable of any length (short for portable use or long for TV watching for example)
  • Using upgraded cables such as silver plated or braided cables
  • Use of heavier conductor cables for amplifier use
  • To replace a damaged or proprietary stock cable

I think he might have meant "Why did Superlux remove the detachable system in the first place?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back