Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (On or Over Ear Headphones)
Jan 5, 2018 at 2:11 PM Post #2,896 of 7,153
Probably but I might try in a few days anyway. The 630 vb had better sound bestter! The price difference!

I suspect it’s safe to say it does, but curious to know how far off it is if you do get a chance at some point to compare them. :beyersmile:

Jan 5, 2018 at 2:35 PM Post #2,897 of 7,153
Guys, can you help or guide me? Taking into account the following characteristics = Bass quality, Sound stage, Imaging. It has to be extremely pleasing for long periods of use, non-fatiguing.

What is the best closed-back headphone for gaming = Yenona Adapter-Free DJ Headphones, ISK MDH9000 or Takstar Pro 82?
What is the best open-back or semi-open headphone for gaming = Superlux HD668B, Superlux HD681 EVO or Samson SR850?

What is the best USB DAC + headphone AMP for gaming (To connect to the PS4's USB port and computer) = SMSL M3 or Sabaj D2?

I received the Sabaj D2 today to drive my SHP9500, before ordering this Sabaj D2 i did weeks of research whenever i had some time (yes i know, nuts for such a cheap DAC) and was also looking at the M3 at one point but found a lot of people who reported quality issues with the M3, both within and just outside of the warranty period. Even inside the warranty period it's expensive to ship back an item to China.
About the Sabaj D2, i have been enjoying it non-stop today since it arrived and i love the small footprint, it feels very solid, both the housing and the volume/input selector knob and most important, (to me at least) it sounds great!
I also like that the volume button handles the volume of the headphone and RCA outputs, that way when i switch from headphone to my speakers there is no need to change the volume of the speakers separately.

Jan 5, 2018 at 2:41 PM Post #2,898 of 7,153
I suspect it’s safe to say it does, but curious to know how far off it is if you do get a chance at some point to compare them. :beyersmile:

I just looked at your profile...you have some of th same headphones that I do.

Jan 5, 2018 at 3:40 PM Post #2,899 of 7,153
I just looked at your profile...you have some of th same headphones that I do.

I noticed that, indeed! There's a definite intersection, although you also happen to have some headphones that are on my "hope to get some point" list, particularly the aforementioned HD 630VB, as well as the Nighthawk, and also others which I am definitely curious about like the Fostex TH500RP, which I dithered on getting when they were available for next to nothing as a close out on open box from Sonic Electronix, and then they were gone... but it was all probably for the better as I have more than I need by far, although fewer than you... :relieved:

Jan 5, 2018 at 5:19 PM Post #2,900 of 7,153
I gave my buddy my Yenonas about a year ago, he broke the stock cable after a few months so I gave him another one. Then around Thanksgiving he said he doesn't really use them so I took them back and see it's bc he broke the 3.5mm input (which is garbage anyways since it doesn't secure the cable like the 6.3 Port). I have a bunch of 6.3 male to 3.5mm adapters but I barely use the Yenona since I have my 99C. Maybe I'll find a 3.5 to 6.8 cable.

Jan 5, 2018 at 5:54 PM Post #2,901 of 7,153
I gave my buddy my Yenonas about a year ago, he broke the stock cable after a few months so I gave him another one. Then around Thanksgiving he said he doesn't really use them so I took them back and see it's bc he broke the 3.5mm input (which is garbage anyways since it doesn't secure the cable like the 6.3 Port). I have a bunch of 6.3 male to 3.5mm adapters but I barely use the Yenona since I have my 99C. Maybe I'll find a 3.5 to 6.8 cable.

I very quickly stopped using the 3.5mm input jack on my Yenonas because the cables just easily fell out/were pulled out of the jack pretty much by their own weight. The 6.35mm input jack on the other earcup works perfectly, so I've used 6.35mm-to-6.35mm cables ever since.

I'm a broken record on this topic...I got my cable from Ghent Audio (it's under "Audio Cables," no. D05: http://www.ghentaudio.com/part/d05.html

(you can get 2M for $17 w/free shipping...a true deal)

Jan 5, 2018 at 5:55 PM Post #2,902 of 7,153
hey guys, just bought the isk hf-2010

first impressions: not really great, ootb it sounded bad, its hollow sounding mid were recessed, bass is lacking body and the treble is a little bit harsh. after 35 hours of burning in, the sound quality is quite good enough, but still the major flaw of this headphones is that the mids are so pushed back its either i have to turn up the volume or use an equalizer to elevate 500hz-4khz by 1 or 2 db. it sounded dull IMO.

i dont really get the hype and reviews people are giving this cans, its good for the price but not really amazing, or maybe it just need more time to open up the sound.

What is your audio source??? It can be the problem IMO. Cause what you describe sure isn't what i hear.

Jan 5, 2018 at 6:48 PM Post #2,903 of 7,153
I very quickly stopped using the 3.5mm input jack on my Yenonas because the cables just easily fell out/were pulled out of the jack pretty much by their own weight. The 6.35mm input jack on the other earcup works perfectly, so I've used 6.35mm-to-6.35mm cables ever since.

I'm a broken record on this topic...I got my cable from Ghent Audio (it's under "Audio Cables," no. D05: http://www.ghentaudio.com/part/d05.html

(you can get 2M for $17 w/free shipping...a true deal)

First I'm seeing them lol. Sweet! Probably gonna order up a 6.35 to 3.5. Too bad they don't have 6.35 to 2.5 (dual) option for my 400i

Jan 5, 2018 at 8:47 PM Post #2,904 of 7,153
What is your audio source??? It can be the problem IMO. Cause what you describe sure isn't what i hear.

using 320kbps mp3 and flac files. I first plugged it in to my phone, it sounded hollow, muddy and dull, so i borrowed my friends muse usb dac, the sound improvement is noticeable, but I think its still sounds quite lacking, but right now after 50hrs of burning in the hollowness is gone, but the recessed mids are still there, maybe im used to the sound of grados, but i also have bosshifi b8 which were not elevated in the mids but i feel that there is presence, unlike the isk, they pushed back the mid quite hard that i sometimes need to turn up the volume. sibilance is now less but can still show up at some songs. maybe it needs more time to fully break in.

Jan 12, 2018 at 6:37 PM Post #2,905 of 7,153
Just finished reading through the thread. Lot of headphones got added to my wishlist, many of those removed (I get why people read threads backwards now), and some purchased (pro82 and B8).

Got the Bosshifi B8 a week ago and thought I'd share my impressions... I just didn't think reading this thread would take so long.

Fit and comfort. The headband on these is going to be too big for some people. Fits me with the sliders all the way in and I don't have the smallest of heads. Clamp was way too tight out of the bo... I'd say box but these were packed in bubble wrap. Took me a while but I've finally got it to the point where I can wear these for a long period of time. The headband only touches my head in one small spot so even though its padded it can get fatiguing after hours of wear and I find myself shifting it. Earpads are great. Overall I'd say it's built well but comfort is only okay. Okay is acceptable though.

Sound after 100 hours burn in. I like them.

The sound signature is U shaped as others have mentioned. The bass quantity is a little north of neutral but in a pleasing way for the most part. The bass quality is quite good. It's not super tight planar bass but it's fairly quick and I enjoy the smoothness of it. Mids sound smooth, detailed, and neutral. Maybe a little bit of extra energy in the higher vocal range. Treble is detailed with no sibilance but can occasionally be a little piercing.

Sound stage on these is quite intimate but has some height and width to it. Imaging on these is quite good as well. There is a problem though. When there is a lot going on in a recording (especially in the mids) things tend to get cluttered. This is not a problem unique to the B8. I find it in many closed headphones which is why I tend prefer open. With open headphones we hear the sound primarily from the drivers and less from reflections. With the B8 I'm hearing a lot of sound from the back of the cups (which are flat) as well as the resonance of the baffle containing the driver. So in short decent sound stage and good imaging for a closed headphone but can't compete with an open headphone.

Or can it?

At first I told myself these sounded good enough I didn't have to mod them and I can see why a lot of people wouldn't bother. That said I got the idea in my head about how I could "fix" them and decided to try. After a super simple mod (1 step beyond pad rolling) I was blown away by these headphones. All the problems I had with the sound stage and imaging went away. They now sound like an open set of headphones with bass but without the ability to hear my phone ring or share my music with others. Treble got tamed slightly as a result but sound signature overall is much the same. I think they entire thing was an improvement.

BTW I own a set of mm400 Denons and these are nothing like them. They look similar... ish? They are both wood headphones. That's where the similarities end. Different size, different sound signature, different everything. Still love my mm400s enough that I ordered new pads for them. They'll be here next week if anyone needs a comparison of a modded B8 vs worn Denon MM400s. :thinking:

TL;DR Before modding these are a very nice set of headphones that easily out perform (in build and sound) their $90 Canadian price tag. Post modding these are going high in my regular rotation. Looking forward to the Takstar Pro 82s next as they seem to be pretty hyped.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2018 at 7:44 PM Post #2,906 of 7,153
Just finished reading through the thread. Lot of headphones got added to my wishlist, many of those removed (I get why people read threads backwards now), and some purchased (pro82 and B8).

Got the Bosshifi B8 a week ago and thought I'd share my impressions... I just didn't think reading this thread would take so long.

Fit and comfort. The headband on these is going to be too big for some people. Fits me with the sliders all the way in and I don't have the smallest of heads. Clamp was way too tight out of the bo... I'd say box but these were packed in bubble wrap. Took me a while but I've finally got it to the point where I can wear these for a long period of time. The headband only touches my head in one small spot so even though its padded it can get fatiguing after hours of wear and I find myself shifting it. Earpads are great. Overall I'd say it's built well but comfort is only okay. Okay is acceptable though.

The sound signature is U shaped as others have mentioned. The bass quantity is a little north of neutral but in a pleasing way for the most part. The bass quality is quite good. It's not super tight planar bass but it's fairly quick and I enjoy the smoothness of it. Mids sound smooth, detailed, and neutral. Maybe a little bit of extra energy in the higher vocal range. Treble is detailed with no sibilance but can occasionally be a little piercing.

Sound stage on these is quite intimate but has some height and width to it. Imaging on these is quite good as well. There is a problem though. When there is a lot going on in a recording (especially in the mids) things tend to get cluttered. This is not a problem unique to the B8. I find it in many closed headphones which is why I tend prefer open. With open headphones we hear the sound primarily from the drivers and less from reflections. With the B8 I'm hearing a lot of sound from the back of the cups (which are flat) as well as the resonance of the baffle containing the driver. So in short decent sound stage and good imaging for a closed headphone but can't compete with an open headphone.

Or can it?

At first I told myself these sounded good enough I didn't have to mod them and I can see why a lot of people wouldn't bother. That said I got the idea in my head about how I could "fix" them and decided to try. After a super simple mod (1 step beyond pad rolling) I was blown away by these headphones. All the problems I had with the sound stage and imaging went away. They now sound like an open set of headphones with bass but without the ability to hear my phone ring or share my music with others. Treble got tamed slightly as a result but sound signature overall is much the same. I think they entire thing was an improvement.

BTW I own a set of mm400 Denons and these are nothing like them. They look similar... ish? They are both wood headphones. That's where the similarities end. Different size, different sound signature, different everything. Still love my mm400s enough that I ordered new pads for them. They'll be here next week if anyone needs a comparison of a modded B8 vs worn Denon MM400s. :thinking:

TL;DR Before modding these are a very nice set of headphones that easily out perform (in build and sound) their $90 Canadian price tag. Post modding these are going high in my regular rotation. Looking forward to the Takstar Pro 82s next as they seem to be pretty hyped.
I laughed out loud at the part about reading threads backwards...it's a necessary skill in these very long threads.
I liked the mod you did on your B8...I did something similar to some NVX SPT100...I mass loaded the driver housing with some silly putty.

Jan 12, 2018 at 8:04 PM Post #2,907 of 7,153
I laughed out loud at the part about reading threads backwards...it's a necessary skill in these very long threads.
I liked the mod you did on your B8...I did something similar to some NVX SPT100...I mass loaded the driver housing with some silly putty.

Thanks. I saw what you did with the putty and was all set to try it with plasticine but Nymphonomaniac scared me off with his results on the B7 so I kept it super simple as a starting point. Worked out well enough that I didn't need to go further... for now. I'm fairly new to modding but I got a pair of T20RP mk3s in November and can't seem to stop myself.

Jan 13, 2018 at 12:49 AM Post #2,908 of 7,153

Or can it?

does the b8 really benefits on this mod? i find the b8 imaging already great and soundstage would i think still be relatively narrow because its a close-back headphones, i dont think putting up acoustic dampers improves soundstage as it only change the sound signature of the headphones

Jan 13, 2018 at 8:24 AM Post #2,909 of 7,153
does the b8 really benefits on this mod? i find the b8 imaging already great and soundstage would i think still be relatively narrow because its a close-back headphones, i dont think putting up acoustic dampers improves soundstage as it only change the sound signature of the headphones

I'll explain my thought process and you can decide for yourself.

The back of the B8s is a flat piece of wood. A really hard flat surface right near your driver. With or without an angeled driver you're getting a ton of early reflections from it. Why does this matter?
  • The ear/brain does not “add” sound in the same way as a measurement microphone and acoustic measurement software. In particular there is strong evidence that the ear/brain ignores the delay when creating the perception of loudness. Reflection delay is of course relevant to imaging and spaciousness perception.
That's taken from an article about early reflections. What it means is we can put a driver next to a flat hard surface and, while harming the imaging and spaciousness of it, the sound signature isn't going to change much to our ears. It also means we can treat that hard surface without harming the sound signature as well. As I said the back of the B8 enclosure is a flat hard piece of wood producing a lot of early reflections. Reducing those early reflections should help our imaging and our sound stage. If you think about it this also explains why open headphones have wider sound stages.

The problem with treating this particular hard surface is it's within the enclosure where mucking about can impact sound signature. For this reason I wanted to avoid using too much material or attaching anything directly to the wood cups at the back. I thought the super thin spread out 1/4 of a cotton ball in each side would have the least impact on the enclosure while achieving my goals. Not to mention it was quick and easy. The reason for the dampening on the baffle is because its super thin light weight plastic with quite a high resonant frequency. Just tap on it before you take it out. I'd much prefer to hear the sound come from my driver than this plastic and if I want to hear anything resonate I want it to be the wood. That said feel free to skip the plasticine as I believe the cotton made the larger impact.

Apologies for not doing a more incremental mod where I tested each step and recorded my results. I honestly should have and not doing so made me hesitant to post it as I can't be sure what effect the plasticine had vs the cotton. Stiff felt or some tuning foam against the back of the cup might have a similar effect. I was pretty lazy with the mod and so I can understand your hesitance to try it. Only thing I can say is I did this mod as a first step and was planning on tweaking it. I got lucky the first time and saw no reason to proceed further.

After all was said and done I perceived almost no change to the sound signature. Keep in mind there was about 20 min between unplugging these headphones and plugging them back in again to do the mod. Here are the changes I believe I heard. Most noticeable were the highs. Less piercing on songs where they were previously annoying but overall still very detailed. Mids? Same with less clutter. Bass? Maybe a touch less quantity with a touch more quality? Maybe that's just what I wanted to hear.

TL;DR The B8 sounds excellent stock. It is not perfect however (afaik there are no perfect headphones) so there's always room for some improvement. I think the mod was worth my time and materials for the results I perceive. YMMV

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2018 at 11:32 AM Post #2,910 of 7,153

Or can it?

Excellent post. You have just 9 posts here?

I don't own this headphone, but the mod is really interesting anyway. It seems logical & easy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back