Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (On or Over Ear Headphones)
Nov 29, 2017 at 5:02 PM Post #2,716 of 7,153
I've owned 3 of the ISK MDH9000 clones, virtually identical to your Freeboss: LyxPro HAS-30 (gifted to a friend); and 2 X Marantz MPH-2 (gifted one, kept the other). It's a terrific headphone. It does just about everything way better than you'd ever expect for the price, including soundstaging.

But...the clamping pressure got to me, just as you noted. I tried stretching it night after night, with minimal effect. Finally one day I got annoyed and treated the headband as if it had a metal interior element--just pulled it back against the curve--gentle pressure. What happened next was interesting:
  • Clearly, what's inside the headband is not metal. Maybe not even hard plastic. Whatever it is, it "cracked," not into 2 pieces, but suddenly there was a distinct rippled/bulge at that point in the curve, and the clamping force was suddenly less (perfect).
  • I tried compressing it back along the curve, thinking I might reduce the ripple. But all that did was cause another ripple pretty near the first. Clamping pressure was still perfect.
It feels a little funny from the top, feeling those 2 bumps. But the headphones now fit like a dream.

I was willing to do this risky stuff w/headband because I paid only ~$50 for these. It all worked out pretty well IMO...

Nov 29, 2017 at 5:04 PM Post #2,718 of 7,153
I've owned 3 of the ISK MDH9000 clones, virtually identical to your Freeboss: LyxPro HAS-30 (gifted to a friend); and 2 X Marantz MPH-2 (gifted one, kept the other). It's a terrific headphone. It does just about everything way better than you'd ever expect for the price, including soundstaging.

But...the clamping pressure got to me, just as you noted. I tried stretching it night after night, with minimal effect. Finally one day I got annoyed and treated the headband as if it had a metal interior element--just pulled it back against the curve--gentle pressure. What happened next was interesting:
  • Clearly, what's inside the headband is not metal. Maybe not even hard plastic. Whatever it is, it "cracked," not into 2 pieces, but suddenly there was a distinct rippled/bulge at that point in the curve, and the clamping force was suddenly less (perfect).
  • I tried compressing it back along the curve, thinking I might reduce the ripple. But all that did was cause another ripple pretty near the first. Clamping pressure was still perfect.
It feels a little funny from the top, feeling those 2 bumps. But the headphones now fit like a dream.

I was willing to do this risky stuff w/headband because I paid only ~$50 for these. It all worked out pretty well IMO...

Wow, that's quite odd.

Cracking is usually not a good thing to hear with cheap plastic items. But in your case, it worked out for the better.

Nov 29, 2017 at 5:13 PM Post #2,719 of 7,153
@Pharmaboy I'm just glad the 50X didn't have clamp like the Mikros 90 did. Loved the sound, was utterly in love with the design, but no matter what I did the pressure caused headaches and eventually sold it to someone with a smaller head. I find the 50X mostly comfortable, especially with velvet pads to help with warmth. I keep telling myself not to track down another pair as I keep thinking maybe I can find a way to make it comfortable, but I know deep down it won't work.

Nov 29, 2017 at 5:25 PM Post #2,720 of 7,153
@Pharmaboy I'm just glad the 50X didn't have clamp like the Mikros 90 did. Loved the sound, was utterly in love with the design, but no matter what I did the pressure caused headaches and eventually sold it to someone with a smaller head. I find the 50X mostly comfortable, especially with velvet pads to help with warmth. I keep telling myself not to track down another pair as I keep thinking maybe I can find a way to make it comfortable, but I know deep down it won't work.

I should have mentioned the obvious: I have a big head (big hat size). Just because I felt too much clamping pressure doesn't mean someone else will.

Glad to hear your 50X feels good as is...

Nov 29, 2017 at 5:39 PM Post #2,722 of 7,153
My hat size depending on brand is usually 7 3/4 give or take 1/8th. So a bit large but not huge.

Interesting. My hat size is 7 3/4 to 7 7/8ths.

It may be that you're ok w/the clamping pressure of the 50X because those velvet pads aren't as deep as the stock pads that come w/all the other ISK MDH9000 clones. I've heard that the 50X stock pads are thinner than any of the other clones' pads.

You can see the stock pads in the pix on previous pg of this thread. They're ~1 1/8" - 1 1/4" deep.

Nov 29, 2017 at 5:43 PM Post #2,723 of 7,153
I also may have a bit more of an oblong noggin. Never tried it with the stock pads that I can remember anyways, and played with the idea of putting on my spare set of Ori pads but that just felt wrong. As you know your hat size, I always welcome a fellow hat lover. Too many people give you flak in this day and age for wearing a nice hat.

Nov 29, 2017 at 5:51 PM Post #2,725 of 7,153
I use my HAS-30 for gaming on XBOX. I decided to see how my HRM-6 do, audio was not good but more comfy feeling. Recently got my Yenona Pro back from a buddy, once again it sounded terrible but was more comfy. The HAS-30 really does make a great gaming headset, clarity and balance of all sounds high and low is there. Just wish it used a standard 3.5 so I didn't have to use a ModMic, which is good but has a long cable and picks up on everything

Nov 29, 2017 at 6:38 PM Post #2,726 of 7,153
I also may have a bit more of an oblong noggin. Never tried it with the stock pads that I can remember anyways, and played with the idea of putting on my spare set of Ori pads but that just felt wrong. As you know your hat size, I always welcome a fellow hat lover. Too many people give you flak in this day and age for wearing a nice hat.
the key word here is 'oblong'. The 50X headband is tall. I have Senitek pads on mine and they actually clamp over my ears and hold the phones in place that way ... the top of the headband doesn't actually touch the top of my head unless I am wearing a hat. They are the only headphones I have that do that, the rest of my headphones the band rests on my head and I wear them on the smallest, or close to it, setting.

Nov 29, 2017 at 11:39 PM Post #2,728 of 7,153

Wow I may try it if I don't get any results with the pillow stretch. I do have a pretty fat and solid pillow that I can try to clamp these on so we'll see..
Thanks for sharing!

Nov 30, 2017 at 4:57 AM Post #2,729 of 7,153
Got my ISK-HF2010 and it's definitely on par with Creative Aurvana Live. You get semi-open CAL's with much more comfortable pads, better build quality and 2/3 of the price. Best value headphones of 2017.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2017 at 7:53 AM Post #2,730 of 7,153
Too many people give you flak in this day and age for wearing a nice hat.

I guess it depends on what kind of hat and what the context is. If I saw someone wearing a top hat while out for a jog, I would probably give them some flak.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back