Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs)
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 29, 2015 at 1:56 PM Post #16,276 of 35,472
Something I want to add to this conversation...

Many people like the Havi B3 Pro1, and for some it is the best IEM they've ever heard. If you put that thing on a graph you would think it's got to be one of the worst sounding IEM on Head-Fi.

Yes, graphs are valuable information, but far from the only information.

I don't mind looking at a graph to see if something looks like a tuning I would enjoy, but "placebo" or "the feeble human perception" and such remarks that downplay the role our brains play in it is a bunch of crap. Our brain is the most important tool in gauging sound because it determines what we hear. So as the video tries to explain how unreliable just listening to something isn't fair in evaluating performance, then refers to products that are fraudulent, two things I'll say is that #1 I wouldn't buy that junk, and #2 if a graph says that something has perfect sound, and I put it on and don't like it, I'm probably not going to purchase that either!

I like my clothes, but I bet someone somewhere made a graph that tries to prove that my brain is "interpreting falsely" and therefore my clothes aren't as cool as other clothes. Who cares! In my opinion the thing that matters most is "when I hear it, does it sound good to my ears?" Besides, isn't that what matters the most?

Manufacturers don't take perfect sine waves and turn it into speakers and headphones.

I trust my brain to listen to a headphone and give it a thumbs up, or thumbs down. I can listen to the same songs from the same recordings and source and determine what I like about it.

At the end of the day I trust my ears more than a graph. If I only trusted graphs, I would miss out on a lot of really good stuff.

May 29, 2015 at 2:27 PM Post #16,277 of 35,472
Unfortunately, cable talk is a very polarizing topic that pulls people apart instead of bringing together.  That's why I usually try to stay away from it, usually...

Now, here is something perhaps we can all agree on.  Look at this new Macaw GS100s IEM: http://penonaudio.com/Macaw-GT100s  I really hope it sounds at least half as good as it looks :)

May 29, 2015 at 8:10 PM Post #16,278 of 35,472
  Cables are tricky. If the cable changes the source signal (impedance/resistance/whatever), yes you will hear a difference, no matter what price the cable is.

Once you get a strong enough core though, and imp/resistance matches, you won't hear a difference. I did the "coat hanger" test, where I used coat hangers to connect my speakers to my source, and A/Bed with a $200 cable with silver tips. No difference.

This is the dirty little secret of the cable "manufacturers" (a better name for them would be "cable terminators," as that's all most of them actually do.  They will never publish the inductance or capacitance of the cable, which is all that really matters. 

May 29, 2015 at 8:29 PM Post #16,279 of 35,472
Something I want to add to this conversation...

Many people like the Havi B3 Pro1, and for some it is the best IEM they've ever heard. If you put that thing on a graph you would think it's got to be one of the worst sounding IEM on Head-Fi.

Yes, graphs are valuable information, but far from the only information.

I don't mind looking at a graph to see if something looks like a tuning I would enjoy, but "placebo" or "the feeble human perception" and such remarks that downplay the role our brains play in it is a bunch of crap. Our brain is the most important tool in gauging sound because it determines what we hear. So as the video tries to explain how unreliable just listening to something isn't fair in evaluating performance, then refers to products that are fraudulent, two things I'll say is that #1 I wouldn't buy that junk, and #2 if a graph says that something has perfect sound, and I put it on and don't like it, I'm probably not going to purchase that either!

I like my clothes, but I bet someone somewhere made a graph that tries to prove that my brain is "interpreting falsely" and therefore my clothes aren't as cool as other clothes. Who cares! In my opinion the thing that matters most is "when I hear it, does it sound good to my ears?" Besides, isn't that what matters the most?

Manufacturers don't take perfect sine waves and turn it into speakers and headphones.

I trust my brain to listen to a headphone and give it a thumbs up, or thumbs down. I can listen to the same songs from the same recordings and source and determine what I like about it.

At the end of the day I trust my ears more than a graph. If I only trusted graphs, I would miss out on a lot of really good stuff.

I am  entirely with you ....your metaphor is spot on.....
L3000.gif

May 29, 2015 at 9:33 PM Post #16,280 of 35,472
I have some unused iems lying around, specifically the ATH IM50, Sound Soul and KZ ED8! Will give them all as a package for cheap as I don't really need to make money on them. PM if anyone is interested. Will put them up on the general F/S section later if I receive no PMs :)

CHeers!

May 30, 2015 at 12:34 AM Post #16,281 of 35,472
This one looks awesome with the materials used and tunable nozzles at this price point.....anyone came across it's sound yet?....

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=zh-CN&u=http://www.igao7.com/news/201503/bdJwqPfnKfhQEyU9.html&prev=search

May 30, 2015 at 2:55 AM Post #16,282 of 35,472
Unfortunately, cable talk is a very polarizing topic that pulls people apart instead of bringing together.  That's why I usually try to stay away from it, usually...

Now, here is something perhaps we can all agree on.  Look at this new Macaw GS100s IEM: http://penonaudio.com/Macaw-GT100s  I really hope it sounds at least half as good as it looks :)

This one looks awesome with the materials used and tunable nozzles at this price point.....anyone came across it's sound yet?....

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=zh-CN&u=http://www.igao7.com/news/201503/bdJwqPfnKfhQEyU9.html&prev=search

Looks pretty similar to me :wink: I believe Twister6 will get them....

May 31, 2015 at 1:20 AM Post #16,285 of 35,472
surprised there isn't more attention towards the piston 3s from xiaomi?

wonder why that is, sounds the 2s were a huge success.

well i got around to doing my first impressions on the 3s, hope you guys enjoy it!

May 31, 2015 at 5:43 AM Post #16,286 of 35,472
  surprised there isn't more attention towards the piston 3s from xiaomi?

wonder why that is, sounds the 2s were a huge success.

well i got around to doing my first impressions on the 3s, hope you guys enjoy it!

Good review Tom, keep up the good work. I hope P3s will grab more attention. They don't really stand out like P2 judging by appearance. I guess that may be one of the factor and is one of the deciding factor for average customers. 

May 31, 2015 at 8:23 AM Post #16,287 of 35,472
My Brainwavz BLU-100 review is up, hope you'll enjoy it:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/brainwavz-blu-100-bluetooth-iems/reviews/13264

Jun 1, 2015 at 12:01 PM Post #16,288 of 35,472
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back