Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
Dec 22, 2020 at 3:58 AM Post #32,776 of 33,689
Hello fellow head-fier’s, up for review is the NM2+ by NF Audio

WeChat Image_20201216014446(2).jpgWeChat Image_20201216014506(2).jpg
ABOUT NF Audio and NM2+ in-ear earphone:
NF Audio is an earphone brand under Shenzhen Ningfan Acoustics. They were founded in 2014. You can go to their official website posted at the end of my review for latest news, product information, and upcoming new earphone products. They claim to be the pioneer of customized IEM’s in China and have helped hundreds of musicians complete musical pieces and performances. They also believe their products are artworks and the proof is in their workmanship and details put into their earphones, which in my opinion matches the cost and then some!
H15c96b33b35a4f688bb115dafa45f65cO (3).jpgH15c96b33b35a4f688bb115dafa45f65cO (4).jpg *Courtesy of NF Audio
MY REVIEW:
In this review, I was given the opportunity to listen to the NM2+ model, which was sent to my doorstep in return for an honest review. Though, I do want to express, there is no other involvement other than to give an honest review and impression of the NM2+ Monitor earphones.

DESCRIPTION and HIGHLIGHTS:
The NM2+ features double cavity dynamic drivers, replaceable 0.78mm cable, 5-axis CNC carved aeronautical aluminum shell, ergonomic designed fit, and are made for stage monitoring purposes. Other special features include an integrated tuning circuit and a tesla level dual-magnetic circuit.

FREQUENCY SPECIFICATION:
Model: NM2+
Dimension: 145*128*83mm
Netwt: 300g
Driver: Double Cavity Dynamic Driver
Cable: 0.78mm 2Pin 5N Silver-coated OFC
Connector: 3.5mm
Frequency response range: 9 - 40kHz
Maximum SPL: 125dB
Sensitivity: 108dB/mW
Distortion: <1%
Impedance: 18Ω
Sound insulation: 25dB

SOUND SIGNATURE:
They have a balanced, but bright and vividly sounding signature throughout the midrange and treble with plenty of details, good natural sounding timbre and tonality, and a surprisingly low natural sounding punchy bass incredibly coming from one dynamic diaphragm on each side. It has very low to zero distortion, which is quite a feat for a DD to even sound this clear, if you ask me!

H4cb8e109f6114cec921914cb59e542c39.jpgH7b443bc2a36d492f81f2d584e37407d7L.jpg
PACKAGE:
The NM2+ comes with very nice accessories in a very fancy silver/gray box, which includes a pair of well-built in-ear metal/alloy earphones, detachable 0.78mm 2-pin copper/silver-plated transparent cables, large-medium-small silicone ear tips (white set being balanced, while the black set’s for extra bass) mounted on a round disc, a nice well-made rugged round storage case, and manual with warranty information all in one square packaged box.
WeChat Image_20201216014657(2).jpgWeChat Image_20201216014649(2).jpg
WeChat Image_20201216014609(2).jpgWeChat Image_20201216014615(2).jpgWeChat Image_20201216014552(2).jpgWeChat Image_20201216014535(2).jpg

NOTICEABLE CHANGES:
At first, receiving and listening to the NM2+ I was a little overwhelmed on the bright and vivid sound that came out of them, which I wasn’t really used to. But, it was to my surprise that even though I was worried about harshness and sibilance creeping up during my first listen, it actually did not offend at all! So, after burning them in for 100 hours, they played exceptionally clear, vivid, airy, and precisely tuned! Though, it’s important to note that during my review I decided to go with the white balanced ear tips. Though, it didn’t seal as tight as the bass ear tips as a second option, they provided the best details for my initial review. In comfort, they are not the best, since they are slightly larger and cumbersome, but they are certainly not the worst. I could listen to them for a few hours before noticing any discomfort, IMHO. But, then again, many IEM’s in my collection do give me discomfort in the same amount of time of 2 hours or more, except the smallest of the bunch, whether they’re actually expensive or not. So basically saying, comfort depends on how the product was made, not so much the price.

SOUND:
BASS:
The bass is articulate, quick and punchy, and can demonstrate good quality detailed bass, especially in the mid-bass, and also in the sub-bass region when called for. Incredibly, the bass does not bleed into the lower MID’s and maintains enough overall bass for such a vivid and bright upper range keeping the whole signature quite technically balanced. Though, the bass is not the center of action, it surely provides precision and satisfaction.

MIDRANGE:
The midrange has a sense of space and transparency that leaves you almost breathless, while it’s nicely tuned with the lower treble region giving you exceptional clarity and coherency. This type of signature favors females more than males, since it will lack a sense of warmth towards a lower males tone of voice. But, on a positive side, you will benefit from much more details within string instruments, violins, or even the clarity of soft piano notes.

TREBLE:
The treble demonstrates perfection in the lower and upper peaks, while maintaining a good flow of vividness with excellent details and even micro details. This kind of upper signature is hard to achieve and I think for a DD the NM2+ does it exceptionally well! Details can only be expressed as immersive and irresistible…They are literally hard to put down! Of course, this is if you’re not treble sensitive.

SOUNDSTAGE & RESOLUTION
The NM2+ soundstage is excellent at its price point with plenty of stage presence since the signature is so vividly clear. They demonstrate a better than average wide soundstage due to its clear sounding nature with nice separation and imaging when compared to other expensive models I personally own. Even though, the frontal and depth stage presence are not the best I’ve heard, the wide soundstage presence and resolution is epic and grand and some may even find them as an end game to their collection.
WeChat Image_20201216014521(2).jpgWeChat Image_20201216014543(2).jpg

COMPARISONS:
In relation to the comparison below, I personally think all the IEM's below are fairly well-made and can easily please even the most experienced in just sound quality alone. But, remember these are all Chi-Fi branded IEM's and some people might be judgmental on quality rather than just sound alone. So, keep in mind, the comparisons below will be based more on sound impression.

LZ A6 -vs- NM2+
Coming from LZ is the LZ A6, which is a model that’s been selling very well for the past few years, which can demonstrate great clarity, big soundstage and outstanding resolution. Now, at a lower and closer price to the NM2+, which was just recently replaced by the A7 flagship model, how does the older A6 compare to the NM2+? In a nut shell, they sound very similar in the bright upper range. But, the A6 just reveals more details and luscious MID's, especially when the LOUD switch button is activated to the ON position while using the black tuning filters. Though, clarity and on both does sound very similar, the NM2+ can still demonstrate good timbre and imaging, while the soundstage is slightly bigger and richer on the A6. Bass has slightly better texture on the A6, while females shine equally on both, and micro-details can be detected on both as well. This comparison shows how the NM2+ can compare with last year’s best chi-fi hybrid. Though, it is a bold statement knowing that there are so many branded ones that have the capability of outperforming the chi-fi brands. But, incredibly this year has been such a tight competition that anything goes! Now, going back to the A6, the resolution, transparency, and micro-details reveals slightly more to my ears. Though, the dynamic drivers in the NM2+ can only be described as superb and exceptional to the highest standard and definitely "bang for the buck" and can be an end game for those that desire DD’s over hybrids.

BLON BL01 -vs- NM2+
I know the BL01 may come as an underdog, but for fun, I want to compare this budget DD to the immense overtaken of the NM2+. First off, the BL01 are no slouch. They have the capability of bringing down IEM’s, double, or even triple their price in sound and practically in the well-built solid housing as well. Both the BL01 and NM2+ have a well-balanced sound to their signature and both are well constructed. But, they both provide an entirely different price bracket, which I’ll describe what makes the differences, right now. Replacing the BL01’s cables to silver (or silver-plated) cables while provided with the right ear tips to your ear anatomy, the BL01’s outclasses many earphones at its lower price range lifting their sound to higher heights. The bass sounds more refined and textured, the midrange provides a vividly clear coherency to them, and the treble sounds precise and detailed wondering if the BLON company underpriced the BL01. But, this is where the BL01 is limited. The NM2+ just sounds cleaner throughout the whole range providing better detailed bass, amazing upper-midrange, and finer and precise details with better extended micro-details. Eventually, this is the difference when you save for a higher price bracket. The BL01 wins my volt for budget of the year when it comes to the well-made solid housing, and provided best sound possible on a budget, but the NM2+ are just on another level all together as a well-built monitor earphone for those considered as seasoned professionals.

MAGOASI DQ4 -vs- NM2+
For the DQ4, I chose the “Enhanced sense of atmosphere” switch to test against the NM2+. Bass on the DQ4 sounds deep, accurate, quick, and punchy, but the NM2+ takes it further with better texture and refinement. With the DQ4, the midrange has realistic sounding vocals surrounding you with a spacious presence, but the NM2+ sounds more lively and provides a slightly wider stage presence. Treble sounds airy and transparent on the DQ4, but the strongest point of the NM2+ is the upper range providing even better and cleaner sounding midrange and treble, especially micro-details. Definitely, DQ4’s soundstage in this mode might not be the widest, but is the one that most demonstrates a great 3D-like soundstage that is surely going to please those that are looking for a holographic type sound signature with plenty of atmospheric space. But, when it comes to a realistic listening experience, that’s when the NM2+ takes the lead. It sounds like you’re listening to a live concert or a lively stage presence, while the DQ4 sounds like a very good hi-end stereo system, at most. The upper-mid and treble range just outshines the DQ4 even providing the sweetest in micro-details. So finally, if you’re looking for a 4-way audio switch hybrid, then DQ4 does just fine for different genre’s. But, if you really desire DD’s, then look no more because the NM2+ are capable of providing an enjoyable monitoring experience for all your music needs.

PROS:
Excellent technicality, vividly clear with incredible details, great build quality, nice detachable cables, better than average realistic-like soundstage, and beautifully detailed housing with chrome-like finish.

CONS:
Not for bass heads, might be overly bright for those sensitive to upper-midrange and treble. Isolation and seal may be a bit tricky for some. May be cumbersome to those with smaller ears.

WeChat Image_20201216014622(2).jpgH66886b2ea2c64a23a4571dab24d6e136I.jpg *Courtesy of NF Audio
FINAL COMMENTS:
The NM2+ are a pleasure to have and can be viewed as a level of premium quality for their price. They have true class leading performance and can possibly for some be an end game, IMHO. …Job well done!

SPECIAL THANKS:
Lastly, I want to give a special thanks to ‘Di Yang’ for sending the NM2+ in return for an honest review. My views on the sound signature may be different or beneficial to some, so please compare my review with others before making your own personal decision whether if this product is right for you, or not. Right now, the cost is currently around $169 US dollars, though price may vary elsewhere due to the country delivered, coupon offers, or shipment cost. Their official website is www.nfaudio.cn and their other official store for purchase and sales can be found at https://shenzhenaudio.com/products/...n-ear-monitor-earphone-with-0-78mm-2pin-cable.

Hope this review can be of help towards your next purchase...

-Clear

Attachments

• WeChat Image_20201216014514(2).jpg
    WeChat Image_20201216014514(2).jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 0
  • WeChat Image_20201216014323(3).jpg
    WeChat Image_20201216014323(3).jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dec 22, 2020 at 4:19 AM Post #32,777 of 33,689
Totally agree with you. Throw away those tips, slap on some JVC spiral dots, and change out the cable for some nice upgraded balanced cable, and holy cramoley....these things do truly shine bright, and in a good way.

Dec 22, 2020 at 11:55 PM Post #32,778 of 33,689
For all you metalheads, deathheads, and rockheads on this page, my latest recommendation for budget IEM that plays heavy metal, power metal, thrash metal, death metal, black metal, punk, grind, crust, fuzz, as well as classic rock and alternative rock with the most proficiency....the NiceHCK NX7 mk III. Why? Out of all in my collection, it has the technical abilities, bass speed and resolution, excellent forward mids, and extended treble with nice timbre, while being able to peel away even the stodgiest of lo-fi and complex tracks with ease and skill. You miss nothing, and get a great listening experience without any grating peaks, missing mids, or laid back bass. Metal comes together skillfully and proficiently with very few negatives (not the widest stage, but excellent imaging). So if you are a metalhead like myself, pick these up ASAP and \m/ \m/

Dec 23, 2020 at 5:08 AM Post #32,779 of 33,689
Dec 23, 2020 at 11:29 PM Post #32,780 of 33,689
Anyone tried the Superlux HD 381F before? Loved superlux headphones (681 and 668B) (after EQing the treble), wondering how their IEMs will sound and do they still hold up nowadays
Ok here we go, a "short description" about Superlux HD381 series, the "old-school gems"
Sorry I'm not a reviewer but this is my way of showing appreciation when it comes to such a good model i.e. whole lineup.

Dec 24, 2020 at 4:14 PM Post #32,781 of 33,689
Chi-fi has come a looooooooooooong way since I got into this hobby. The CCA CST and Fiio X3III combo is aural bliss. So good, and i spent less that i did buying the NM2+. Brilliant!

IMG_4652.jpg

Dec 24, 2020 at 11:27 PM Post #32,782 of 33,689
Happy holidays and Merry Christmas to all of you!!! :santa::o2smile::taco::avocado::corn:

Dec 25, 2020 at 2:25 AM Post #32,783 of 33,689
I have recived MT300 yesterday, and I was very impressed by ratio sound/value.
I think it could be upgrade for Shouer Tape, but I haven't them now to compare.
Comparing to ISN H40:
* Less resolution on midrange, voices are bit backward
* Less transparent overall
* Sound is a slower, more congested
* Harder to drive
* More Sharper treble
* Less bass, but about same good quality
Like another commenter a couple posts below, I'm not sure which one is better of the MT300 and the ISN H40.

Dec 25, 2020 at 3:13 AM Post #32,784 of 33,689
Like another commenter a couple posts below, I'm not sure which one is better of the MT300 and the ISN H40.
The MT300 is definitely an upgrade over the Tape Pro, but i don't have the H40. They are as capable or more capable than the NM2+ and the Sony Z5, so i'd rec them to anyone who wants a great sounding tribrid with EST highs and some killer punchy bass.

Dec 25, 2020 at 4:23 AM Post #32,785 of 33,689
Isn is rather better.. Larger soundstage, more lush and easy going sound, midrange is closer and richer.
But ISN is somewhat like KZ Asf: lot of bass, highs are not so expanded, midrange is really close so presentation is more like into face... And I sold my ISN yesterday, because I'm treble head - I need extended treble and MT300 and ASX give it, I can live with bit worser sq for more satisfying presentation

Dec 25, 2020 at 4:43 AM Post #32,786 of 33,689
Isn is rather better.. Larger soundstage, more lush and easy going sound, midrange is closer and richer.
But ISN is somewhat like KZ Asf: lot of bass, highs are not so expanded, midrange is really close so presentation is more like into face... And I sold my ISN yesterday, because I'm treble head - I need extended treble and MT300 and ASX give it, I can live with bit worser sq for more satisfying presentation
Yes, the best IEM is the one you enjoy your music with.

Dec 25, 2020 at 9:45 AM Post #32,787 of 33,689
The MT300 is definitely an upgrade over the Tape Pro, but i don't have the H40. They are as capable or more capable than the NM2+ and the Sony Z5, so i'd rec them to anyone who wants a great sounding tribrid with EST highs and some killer punchy bass.
Yeah, I was shocked too, I don't want make to far going comparsions, but in first contact I was same impressed like when I could listen to 64audio U12t paired with Shozy Alien+ - very expanding highs, very good timbre and that bass which is kind of inteligent - can punch very deep and make those resonances in space which can be closer or farther. Definitely one of the best ones - from memory Fh7/IMR lvl

Dec 25, 2020 at 3:58 PM Post #32,788 of 33,689
Yeah, I was shocked too, I don't want make to far going comparsions, but in first contact I was same impressed like when I could listen to 64audio U12t paired with Shozy Alien+ - very expanding highs, very good timbre and that bass which is kind of inteligent - can punch very deep and make those resonances in space which can be closer or farther. Definitely one of the best ones - from memory Fh7/IMR lvl

i totally agree with you. Love that bass!

Dec 28, 2020 at 12:44 AM Post #32,790 of 33,689
Heads up, there's an Aliexpress sale coming in 2.5 days time, named the "Aliexpress Awards 2020 Sale".

Capture.PNG

Some stuff is on discount (prices forecasted), but somewhat meh. If anyone has good deals, please share with the community!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back