Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
Feb 4, 2020 at 5:51 PM Post #29,881 of 33,689
Please tell me exactly what this means. I keep seeing this word "technicalities ". being used more and more. How do I know if everyone is referring to the same thing? I have seen people say that a certain iem has better technicalities but is less enjoyable than another iem. So, why should I care about these mysterious technicalities?
I agree, sometimes when people say that I read it to mean "it cost more so I think it sounds better because of the cost". In this case that might be true. I think the I3 might be a tad clearer and have better separation than the isso14, but honestly, it could be the money clouding my judgment and making me biased to say the one I spent more on is better....

Feb 4, 2020 at 7:03 PM Post #29,882 of 33,689
Please tell me exactly what this means. I keep seeing this word "technicalities ". being used more and more. How do I know if everyone is referring to the same thing? I have seen people say that a certain iem has better technicalities but is less enjoyable than another iem. So, why should I care about these mysterious technicalities?

Like you I think different people mean different things when using the word "technicalities ". I do feel some use it to talk about the difference between DD IEMs and BA IEMs which are called out as being more detailed. Often I find IEMs that are over detailed, particularly with a heightened, 'detailed' treble, the rhythm of the music and the naturalness can get lost. So for my taste and purely IMHO, I find concentrating on the details can affect the rhythm of the piece or song. I often prefer DDs to more detailed BA's.

Feb 4, 2020 at 9:45 PM Post #29,883 of 33,689
Like you I think different people mean different things when using the word "technicalities ". I do feel some use it to talk about the difference between DD IEMs and BA IEMs which are called out as being more detailed. Often I find IEMs that are over detailed, particularly with a heightened, 'detailed' treble, the rhythm of the music and the naturalness can get lost. So for my taste and purely IMHO, I find concentrating on the details can affect the rhythm of the piece or song. I often prefer DDs to more detailed BA's.
Here's the thing I keep finding.

These is plenty of audiophile trope out there and we all buy into it to some degree, but a lot of it is questionable at best. In the end we believe what we do simply because...

This is the one I'm questioning more and more lately...

"Multi BA setups and multi driver setups have better detail and separation than single dynamic drivers".

True or false? Well, most of the time I find this to be true, but honestly sometimes I wonder how much of it is just perception bias. When I listen really really carefully, which I rarely do since I mostly listen at work, I mostly find this comes down to tuning rather than driver setup. I know that a planar driver or multiple BA drivers have better transient response than a DD.... That's a fact. Am I actually hearing it though, or is it past the point of perception? Meh, I don't really know. Usually using MSEB on my hiby r6 pro I can pull detail out of just about any pair of IEMs.

Some sensitive pairs have more hiss the covers up some micro detail, but usually I find it's all there depending on EQ settings, basically.

I'm either really good at buying amazing single DDs that are exceptions to the rule, or I'm full of it. And you know what it is....

Feb 4, 2020 at 10:37 PM Post #29,884 of 33,689
The best comparison to the warm sound I want is the blon 03, just want tighter bass....

U can consider the KBEAR Diamond. It's a better BLON with improved timbre/tonality and better instrument separation/clarity/details. There's a slight boost in the upper mids but it's not fatiguing for me, the notes are thick but fast due to the DLC and I would consider it on the warmer side.

The midbass quantity is similar to the BLONs with the same tips used, but Diamond has better quality bass (texturing, timbre, accuracy and speed). Maybe the BLON only is better in soundstage width.

The Diamond shell is pretty big and heavy though, i remember u had fitting issues with the T800, but personally i have no issues with the fit for both.

I would define technicalities as areas like instrument seperation, details, imaging and clarity.

Some people also throw about the word "musicality" which i take it to be an IEM sounding very organic and natural in timbre/tonality.

Well for some folks, "technicalities" are more important than "musicality" or vice versa, depends what you look for in your music.

I generally like "musicality" more than "technicalities" for casual music listening, but sometimes for critical listening/mixing/stage monitoring purposes i would rather use a more "technical" IEM to get details in the music. YMMV.

Feb 4, 2020 at 11:17 PM Post #29,885 of 33,689
Any recommendations for a relaxed, warm and clear sounding iem? Max 200 usd.
You can look into the Final E4000 for something different. Quite balanced sounding, beautiful bass and mids and you can listen to them all day without listening fatigue or comfort issues. Slightly warm timbre as well (though not as warm as E5000). Not the most technically proficient apart from the soundstage however (not a detail/speed monster, neither does it have holographic imaging).

Feb 4, 2020 at 11:34 PM Post #29,886 of 33,689
My opinion of the Tinhifi T4 is up on the blog in my sig.

Stay tuned for another Trn BA5 take and the KBear Diamond.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2020 at 5:50 AM Post #29,888 of 33,689

I think this brings up another adjective that we use, but doesn't have a real meaning. 'Fun Sound'. What is that , and what other sound does 'Fun Sound' compare with? What is a non fun sound? I want to have fun.

Feb 5, 2020 at 6:09 AM Post #29,889 of 33,689
I think this brings up another adjective that we use, but doesn't have a real meaning. 'Fun Sound'. What is that , and what other sound does 'Fun Sound' compare with? What is a non fun sound? I want to have fun.

Any frequency response not meant for mixers to do their professional work is probably a fun sound.

Or is it when a company, ie. Final Audio, likes to mess artistically with the acoustic chambers around the driver for special effects? (does Audio 64 and Fir count too? )

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2020 at 9:23 AM Post #29,890 of 33,689
For me, " fun" sound would be something like the KZ ZS7 or TRN V90, big powerful V signature with good rhythmic ability.

Feb 5, 2020 at 9:33 AM Post #29,891 of 33,689
For me, " fun" sound would be something like the KZ ZS7 or TRN V90, big powerful V signature with good rhythmic ability.
I've been tempted by the TRN V90 on many occasions. Everybody likes them so I'll dip my toe in at some point. I think I held back because I didn't like the V80.

Feb 5, 2020 at 10:13 AM Post #29,892 of 33,689

Excellent post MB, for me when I see the word Technicalities it automatically brings to mind more analytical in presentation as apposed to what a lot refer to as musical. For me anything that leans heavily to one frequency or another leaves the musical realm and enter into Technicalities. Of course it's all subjective and as always we all hear them all just a little differently. So when I speak of subjectivity and the terms Technicalities and Musical which imo have sub lying sound differences in each as well means if I ask 10 Head-Fiers to look at this photo and tell us which iem's are more Technical or musical to them we would get wide and varied answers from many and maybe a few that are spot on for all but chances are that would be an extremely low number :thinking:

Flavor Flaves.JPG

Feb 5, 2020 at 1:17 PM Post #29,893 of 33,689
I've been tempted by the TRN V90 on many occasions. Everybody likes them so I'll dip my toe in at some point. I think I held back because I didn't like the V80.
The V90 is superior to the V80 in every way. Another "fun" sounding IEM is the BQEYZ BQ3 which has a shallower V signature than the V90 and ZS7.

Feb 5, 2020 at 1:45 PM Post #29,894 of 33,689
Any recommendations for a relaxed, warm and clear sounding iem? Max 200 usd.

By relaxed you mean the top end? It's a little funky looking but the Toneking Ninetails I think would fit that. It is enjoyable for long listening sessions and it has various tunings that actually do make changes.

Feb 5, 2020 at 1:58 PM Post #29,895 of 33,689
By relaxed you mean the top end? It's a little funky looking but the Toneking Ninetails I think would fit that. It is enjoyable for long listening sessions and it has various tunings that actually do make changes.

Excellent suggestion or maybe even the DMG's. Heck you may even like the Sendiy M1221. All have interchangeable filter sets and for my ears are relaxed and non fatiguing:beerchug:
OK, teasers it is:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
9T Woody Notes.JPG

DMGM1.JPG

Sendiy M1221 N3.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back