Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
Jan 7, 2020 at 3:20 PM Post #29,521 of 33,689
Flare audiophile earfoams are on sale half price ATM which is three pairs for a tenner. They don't thicken the bass, or at least nowhere near as much as standard ones due to their wide bores and "acoustic lens" geometry.

I second this recommendation. These are the best foams I've used. Very little effect on the sound aside from taking a bit of zing out of the sibilant zone, and durable. Keep in mind they're a bit over-sized. I consider myself to have normal sized ears, and the mediums are almost too big (I use small).

This is helpful, as I'm not normally a fan of foam tips but more or less need to use them to manage driver flex on my recently purchased EE Bravado.

Jan 7, 2020 at 3:46 PM Post #29,522 of 33,689
Does anyone know anything about the monoprice m350 planar?

I hadn't ever paid much attention to them due to not liking their over the ear sets, but the in ear models they have look like bqeyz rebadges mostly, but the new-ish monoprice m350 planar looks kind of interesting.

Monoprice.com/product?p_id=39415

Jan 7, 2020 at 5:44 PM Post #29,523 of 33,689
Flare audiophile earfoams are on sale half price ATM which is three pairs for a tenner. They don't thicken the bass, or at least nowhere near as much as standard ones due to their wide bores and "acoustic lens" geometry.

I second this recommendation. These are the best foams I've used. Very little effect on the sound aside from taking a bit of zing out of the sibilant zone, and durable. Keep in mind they're a bit over-sized. I consider myself to have normal sized ears, and the mediums are almost too big (I use small).

Great! I'm going to pick some of these up. I'm going to try their silicone tips too. It looks like their sizing is fairly standard 10.5 mm = small, 12.5 mm = medium, and 13 mm = large. I am usually around a medium to large size depending on the tip and IEM combo. The 12.5 mm is usually right around my sweet spot. I wonder if the Flares tips seem larger than others because of their more square profile (i.e. they don't narrow down at the very tip quite as much as most other brands)? I am wondering what size(s) I should order. I wish they had S/M/L packs available. I'm leaning toward ordering M and L packs becuase 10.5 mm seems just too small, even with the square profile - I mean, that's a whole 2 mm jump from S to M (usually, I think you see 11 mm, 12 mm, and 13 mm sizes).

Jan 7, 2020 at 5:54 PM Post #29,524 of 33,689
Great! I'm going to pick some of these up. I'm going to try their silicone tips too. It looks like their sizing is fairly standard 10.5 mm = small, 12.5 mm = medium, and 13 mm = large. I am usually around a medium to large size depending on the tip and IEM combo. The 12.5 mm is usually right around my sweet spot. I wonder if the Flares tips seem larger than others because of their more square profile (i.e. they don't narrow down at the very tip quite as much as most other brands)? I am wondering what size(s) I should order. I wish they had S/M/L packs available. I'm leaning toward ordering M and L packs becuase 10.5 mm seems just too small, even with the square profile - I mean, that's a whole 2 mm jump from S to M (usually, I think you see 11 mm, 12 mm, and 13 mm sizes).

I only use M & L myself depending on earphones, S are too small for me. I don't like the silicone ones as fit ain't good for me with any size, they should have gone for a rounded or ovoid external shape for silicones IMO.

Jan 7, 2020 at 10:58 PM Post #29,525 of 33,689
ALL HAIL THE NEW IEM KING!
(Shuoer Tape First Impressions)

SphjyDT.jpg

Preamble
My first day with the Shuoer Tape turned out to be quite a pleasant surprise!! :blush::yum:

Being let down by most IEMs in the $100-200 price range, I wasn't expecting to be amazed by the Tape. But against all odds, the Tapes were the first pair of expensive IEMs that actually managed to impress me.

Generally speaking, after reading opinions and seeing the FR graphs of some IEM, my mind would instantly develop a mental representation of how those IEMs would sound. For example when I saw the reviews and the FR graph of the DMG, my mind was like "ohh this is how it must sound!", but in the end it turned out the exact opposite of what I was expecting. Same with the Kanas Pro, and same with the Nine Tail. But the Shuor Tape? Not at all! These IEMs were EXACTLY how I thought they would sound like, which should already say a lot.

Technical capabilities
I mainly use Gramatik - Orchestrated Incident as the test track for all expensive IEMs. Not only because it's an extravagant piece of music made for an extravagant piece of tech, but also because it tests how dynamic/vibrant an IEM sounds, and how big its soundstage is. This track is somehow incredibly difficult to elicit a dynamic and uncompressed sound, so it makes for a great test. The DMG failed horrible on this test, as it rendered the intro strings horribly; there was absolutely nothing dynamic about it, the instruments were poorly separated, and it sounded closed-in. The Shuoer rendered this track brilliantly and beautifully, finally! The strings were clearly separated from the piano, both sonically and spatially, just like how it should've been in the first place. So this was immediately a sign that the Shuoer Tape was not the usual IEM I was dealing with. The Shuoer Tapes are on a whole other level of (C)Hi-Fi. Its superior technical capabilities is what makes it stand out from the rest.

The Shuoer Tape—like a philosopher—is a very shrewd individual. Each and every sound is reproduced in such a sensible and discriminating manner, as if every frequency has been meticulously planned beforehand. Instrument separation and detail retrieval are all top of the line here. Nothing sounds blended together, each and every different sound is properly separated. And all the itty bitty details that are usually behind the stage are now clearly upfront and audible, however in a way that doesn't ruin the homogeneity of the track.

But behind the shrewd mind of every philosopher lies their personality. Some philosophers are very boring, but the Shuoer Tape is a quite whimsical one (I'd personally equate it to someone from the likes of Foucalt). I'm talking about sound signature here, if you still don't get it :wink:

Sound Signature
The Tape's sheer technical capabilities are put to good use with its very practical mildly V-shaped signature. Just like the Revonext QT2, this is a utilitarian sound signature that every music enthusiast will love. The bass has good weight and definition, and punches not with authority, but rather with precision. It's not anemic/thin sounding (like the KPE or BLON), but it's not domineering either (like the TFZ No. 3). I would describe the bass as full and thick sounding, but in a controlled modest kind of way. The bass only dominates when needed or called for by the nature of the recording, otherwise it normally stays subordinate to the mids. There is no noticeable bass hump that dominates a specific portion of the lower spectrum, the entire lower spectrum is moderately boosted. This kind of bass is perfect for electronic dance genres such as Trance and Progressive. Sounds naturally emphasized and not at all "digital".

The mids are the meat and potatoes of the Tape. They are full, rich, lush, and appetizing to hear, but without sounding muddy. For the lack of a better term, they sound natural and symphonic. I've said that for the QT2 before, but the difference between this and that is the Tape's ability to reveal an abundance of more microdetails in the mids. Not only that, but all in all the mids still sound lean and feels quick and agile, which is supposedly due to its superior fast transients. The Kanas Pro may take the edge in having slightly less recessed mids, but the mids on the Tape just sound much more open, extended, and detailed. I think it's an understatement to say that the Tape has some of the best mids I've ever heard on the IEM. Correction: they are the best mids I've ever heard. There's really nothing you can fault about them.

Initially after seeing its FR graph, I was a bit worried about the huge high-mid (lower treble) spike, so in my mind I was prepared to compensate for that, but to my surprise it wasn't even that noticeable! Admittedly I had EQ on, but it just goes to show that the high-mids can be efficiently EQ'd unlike IEMs like the Kanas Pro. The high-mids (lower treble) on the Tape are emphasized just enough to give an acute sense of clarity for vocals, instruments and percussion. They feel well integrated with the mids and aren't warring with other frequencies.

The rest of the upper frequencies are what makes the Tape sound so brilliant and refined. Rather than rolling off the highs entirely like most other high-end IEMs, the Shuoer Tape has little peaks that extends way beyond 10Khz that gives the sound a much needed airiness and even more microdetails without introducing noticeable pierce. This transparent approach to the upper treble is what gives the Shuoer Tape the upper hand in both definition and resolution, as well as soundstage.

Soundstage and Imaging
Speaking of soundstage, I've saved the best topic for last. Soundstaging is truly the Tape's superpower. I am honestly speechless at how incredibly realistic it renders the spatial location of sounds. I mean, two years ago I was amazed by the soundstaging properties on budget IEMs, but this is on a whole other level! Extremely holographic three-dimensional soundstaging, with sounds being so vividly motile as if it's the real deal. The stage is remarkably open and spacious, with quite possibly the widest stage I've ever heard. Sounds literally pop out of your head, and while I've heard similar feats from other budget IEMs, the Tape's ultra-realistic pinpoint imaging does a far more better job at tricking your brain into falling for spatial cues. It is really a soundstage beast. Hearing a live recording will literally transport you to the real place, if you close your eyes.

Comparisons
Compared to other $100 IEMs like the BGVP DMG or $200 IEMs like the Moondrop Kanas Pro, the Shuoer Tape puts them all to shame due to its sheer technical performance and superior soundstaging. No further comparisons needed, the Tape is in a class of its own. It is like finding a brand new Ferrari in a car graveyard.

Verdict
For around CAD $160 that I paid for the Shuoer Tape, this is the only occasion where I believe that my money was well spent. I've never heard such a competent and shrewd IEM before like the Tape, with a "supernatural" soundstage that kicks a$$. So you better watch out, cause the Shuoer Tapes are a force to be reckoned with! :punch::punch:

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2020 at 12:09 AM Post #29,526 of 33,689
Does anyone know anything about the monoprice m350 planar?

I hadn't ever paid much attention to them due to not liking their over the ear sets, but the in ear models they have look like bqeyz rebadges mostly, but the new-ish monoprice m350 planar looks kind of interesting.

Monoprice.com/product?p_id=39415

I purchased the M300 and was a bit disappointed.
They are not horrible, but not very good either. For 69$ i felt slightly ripped off.
I know you're asking about the M350's but if the M300's are anything like the M350's i would stay away.
I even wrote a feedback to them and told them what i thought.
Good luck

Jan 8, 2020 at 1:03 AM Post #29,527 of 33,689
I purchased the M300 and was a bit disappointed.
They are not horrible, but not very good either. For 69$ i felt slightly ripped off.
I know you're asking about the M350's but if the M300's are anything like the M350's i would stay away.
I even wrote a feedback to them and told them what i thought.
Good luck
Yikes, it would take a pretty bad pair of earphones for me to feel ripped off for $70 planars. The isine20 I used to own required massive EQ, but sounded good. Hopefully the 350 are a big improvement....

Jan 8, 2020 at 1:35 AM Post #29,528 of 33,689

Sounds like M is your best bet.

Jan 8, 2020 at 1:38 AM Post #29,529 of 33,689
Ok, so here's my thoughts on the NiceHCK NX7 Pro after having then for about a month.
20191207_150110.jpg

The NX7 Pro (~$89) is a updated version of the original NX7. The main differences are upgraded sound due to the ability to tune the sound with three different filters, upgraded stock cable and the possibility to change between different back plates (silver, blue and red).

Fit and ergonomics
I do really love the form factor of the NX7 Pro (that's identical to the NX7 and DB3) as they're both small and very comfortable and easy to fit in your ears. The small houses makes the sit very flush even in my smallish ears and I can even lay down on the side with them without any discomfort.

Sound
First of all a couple of words about the filters. The red filter has a very similar, maybe even identical, tuning like the original NX7 to my ears. The blue filters seems even more energetic and brighter to me while the silver filters are where the sound most appealing to me appears with a fuller and richer sound across the whole frequency range. All the following impressions are made with the silver filters installed.

Compared to the original NX7 the Pro has a warmer sound while still maintaining the great detail retrieval of the original version. Actually the NX7 felt even more detailed upon quick comparison due to their brighter tuning, after more thorough comparison it becomes clear that this is a false impression as the Pro is indeed as detailed, just with a warmer sound.

The bass was my favorite feature on the original NX7 and it's still as excellent on the Pro with a added weight and better subbass presence. The bass is very fast and precise and although the extension isn't the best it's definitely nothing that bothers me when listening to them.

The midrange of the Pro, while still being recessed, is also richer and warmer with a smoother feeling (especially in the upper midrange). The upper midrange and lower treble on the Pro version are where the greates improvements are imo. While the original version is a bit to bright and possible fatiguing to me this is greatly reduced on the Pro making them a more relaxed listening experience where it's also possible to listen to higher volume without fatigue.

The treble extension and details is equally great to the original just with more body here as well. This is s a very welcome change for me.

Both soundstage depth and especially width is also very good and feels very well in place with the overall presentation.

For me the new version is clearly more enjoyable compared to the original due to the overall warmer tuning that gives them more body and a less fatiguing sound. It's hard to say if everyone will find it worth upgrading from the vanilla NX7 but for people getting them for the first time it's definitely a much better deal for the Pro version. Not only does it add the possibility to tune the sound with, if you're having the same preference as me, one tuning that's noticeable more enjoyable than on the original but you can also change the looks by changing the face plates. Personally I'm a sucker for the red/blue mix so that's what I've chosen.

Screenshot_20200108-071614_AliExpress.jpg
Comparison
LZ A6mini: Compared to the Mini the NX7 Pro is definitely closer in performance than the original. Subbass on the Mini does still have slightly better extension and midrange is more present (depending on the filters used on the Mini) but the bass quality is equally great on both with maybe even slightly faster bass in the Pro. The NX7 Pro does also have an equally great midrange presentation, just a bit more recessed in the mix. The treble and upper midrange on the Mini can be smoother with the right filters. I don't have any issues with it on the NX7 Pro either but if you're treble sensitive it may be worth noticing. I find the isolation to be pretty similar on both bit the NX7 Pro is more comfortable thanks to their smaller housing.

I'll add more comparison in my full review :)

To sum things up I find the NiceHCK NX7 Pro to be a clear improvement over its predecessor and a very strong offering at its price point. The $100 segment is crowded with a lot of great options today but the NX7 Pro does definitely hold their own spot there. Not only because it has great sound but also due to the great accessories (the tuning filters included).

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2020 at 1:58 AM Post #29,530 of 33,689
The $100 segment is crowded with a lot of great options today

That's so true. I'm curious to try something a bit more expensive than what I currently own (the most expensive sets of iems I've bought so far are the Trn V90 and Kz Szx, well below 60%), but as the cost increases the chances to try several models reduce. The Nx7 Pro, Shozy Form, Spring 1, just to name the first that come to my mind, all seem to be very good value.

Jan 8, 2020 at 2:12 AM Post #29,531 of 33,689
That's so true. I'm curious to try something a bit more expensive than what I currently own (the most expensive sets of iems I've bought so far are the Trn V90 and Kz Szx, well below 60%), but as the cost increases the chances to try several models reduce. The Nx7 Pro, Shozy Form, Spring 1, just to name the first that come to my mind, all seem to be very good value.

Definitely you will experience new things with them. They worth their own price. V90 and zsx are on level below them

Jan 8, 2020 at 2:46 AM Post #29,532 of 33,689
Jan 8, 2020 at 9:34 AM Post #29,533 of 33,689
Ooooh! Look what just arrived! Impressions soon!
IMG_20200108_143108.jpg

Jan 8, 2020 at 9:47 AM Post #29,534 of 33,689
I have an ISN Audio C16, 16 core (the thickest cable ever) and an ISN Audio S16 (same thickness). The C16 is fuller and warmer than the S16. Many are clearly aware that equivalent Silver vs Copper cables sound different. Some don't feel they notice the difference. IMHO there is a difference.
In what areas do the s16 improve sound quality for you over stock cables?

Jan 8, 2020 at 10:41 AM Post #29,535 of 33,689
WhatsApp Image 2020-01-06 at 22.22.45.jpeg

Hi this is my amateur review of the KBEAR Diamond: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/kbear-diamond-i1.24067/reviews#review-23114

TLDR:
The Diamond has a U shaped sound signature, and comes with a very non offensive and non fatiguing tuning. It combines the best aspects of musicality (timbre/tonality) of the BLON BL-03 with technicalities of single DD sets like the TFZ No. 3/Semkarch SKC CNT1. The tonality is great with no harsh spikes/troughs, and it has great speed for a single DD set in view of the DLC drivers.

The Diamond amalgates smoothness with technicalities, and really sounds like "Liquid Gold". It is well suited for most genres.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back