Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
Oct 20, 2019 at 10:13 PM Post #27,572 of 33,689
I have a strange question here...for old members of this group.

WHO INVENT THE TERM CHIFI?

How is it birth? Where did it appear first?

I ask this cause a dude from The Verge wanna interview me about ChiFi world.

Not like im clueless, but about when, why and where this terminology appear....i can't tell...even if i'm into ChiFi since 6 years.
Probably, it refers to Chinese Fidelity (World)? Or better yet, earphones, headphones, or other products made and sold by Chinese companies as their own products, and tweaked under their own standards with built in Chinese parts as well, and not under any branded name outside of China like, AKG, Pioneer, Sony, Sennheiser, etc...but I don't know when it was first mentioned or started in head-fi.org. Researching, or asking ADMIN when it first appeared would be best!

-Clear

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2019 at 10:46 PM Post #27,573 of 33,689
I am at a loss why nobody is excited about these...

I VENERATE the Spring1....and wonder too why the hype do not grow. But don't worry it will.
To my ears, and from what I test, they are my favorite sub-200$ iem.

The Spring 1 is number 1 on my wishlist for 11/11, I might get it if it is substantially discounted then.
But as @DynamicEars and other reviewers pointed out, the bass is probably the weakest aspect of the Spring 1, it looks flabby from some reviews. That's the only thing putting me on the fence about getting it. Maybe burn in or tip rolling might fix the bass, not sure.

And at the Spring 1's $139ish price range, there's lots of competition. For example, Audiosense is releasing a hybrid (AQ3), tuned harmanish, next week, also around $150 USDish.
I've already found my endgame hybrid/multi BA IEM with the T800, so I'm wondering if it is still worth it to get the Spring 1.

Oct 20, 2019 at 11:08 PM Post #27,574 of 33,689
I've already found my endgame hybrid/multi BA IEM with the T800, so I'm wondering if it is still worth it to get the Spring 1.

^^ This ^^

Oct 20, 2019 at 11:15 PM Post #27,575 of 33,689
Two possible answers:
1) With a lot of different hypes, less excitement (and funds) can be spread through many different IEMs
2) Is it 6-7 times more fun than ****, which is 6-7 times more affordable?
Also "purists of coherence" will still likely prefer a single DD to piezo crossovers.
I think more so the price range, most of the budget people do not consider $30-50 out of reach, but once you start venturing towards the $100+ mark you start to loose a few folks. I know once I started out, I was in the $15/25 camp and have slowly edged upwards. I think harder about parting with $100 let alone closer to $150. It is a bold move by BQEYZ. As to the comparison to ****, the **** fits like crap for me, and the tonality and timbre are weird.

Honestly, I wonder the same thing. They are such an interesting and musical sounding earphone. I’ve posted in the BQEYZ thread about them. Maybe it does a disservice to an earphone if you start a separate thread about them too early. (I mean separate from the two very popular Chi-Fi threads)

Yeah I consider this the main event thread and then the brand specific threads where only the brand followers end up. I think some people might not even be aware there is a BQEYZ thread, it's not like the brand name is memorable at all.

Because sometimes people are too scared to try new chifi brand, for some people BQEYZ still an unknown brand, unlike widely popular KZ for example. But for those who ever have their IEMs, they will know how good the quality are.

Alright, simple way to describe : Spring 1 is a better BLON BL-03, more detail and resolution, with overall similar tuning and similar smooth presentation.

For me again I think the price is the main detractor, but I think it does some things better than the DMG/M6 which is also in the same price league.

I VENERATE the Spring1....and wonder too why the hype do not grow. But don't worry it will.
To my ears, and from what I test, they are my favorite sub-200$ iem.

I think it will slowly become a favorite for many, as they move on from the $50 budget range.

I think someone pointed out earlier about the nozzle angle being different making the shell of the iem jut out at an angle. Is that assessment accurate and does it make the fit a problem?

While the nozzle angle points downward instead of forward and straight, I didn't have any fit issues. YMMV, but I posted a picture in my review of several nozzles compared to the Spring 1 as well as them shoved into my ears. See for yourself at the link in my sig. I think this was a valid concern, but way overblown and very specific. The Nicehck bro for example has an extreme angle for their nozzle and it hurts me to wear it for extended periods. I just used the Spring 1 on my transatlantic 8 hour flight and it was comfortable the whole way.

The Spring 1 is number 1 on my wishlist for 11/11, I might get it if it is substantially discounted then.
But as @DynamicEars and other reviewers pointed out, the bass is probably the weakest aspect of the Spring 1, it looks flabby from some reviews. That's the only thing putting me on the fence about getting it. Maybe burn in or tip rolling might fix the bass, not sure.

And at the Spring 1's $139ish price range, there's lots of competition. For example, Audiosense is releasing a hybrid (AQ3), tuned harmanish, next week, also around $150 USDish.

The bass is the weakest point of the Spring 1, but it is not terrible, it just means the rest of the earphone outshines the bass region at least for me.

The T800 is intriguing, but now you are well above what is considered budget and was considered TOTL pricing not more than a 4-5 years ago. Before I spend $300, I would like to audition. I have more expensive over ear headphones in this price range that I listened to first, before purchasing. I am still waiting for my turn at the Fearless Audio audition set, it would be nice to be able to compare the T800 to some of these, as well as the Moondrop blessing...now we are in the $400 range.

I think if the Spring 1 is offered on sale at 11.11, there might be more takers.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2019 at 11:22 PM Post #27,576 of 33,689
I think more so the price range, I think most of the budget people do not consider $30-50 out of reach, but once you start venturing towards the $100+ mark you start to loose a few folks. I think harder about parting with $100 let alone closer to $150. It is a bold move by BQEYZ.

I can totally understand that. I know that was the main detractor for me. I wanted it but was like ‘eh, at $100 I’d consider it, but not $135’. That’s not to say it’s not totally worth it and a steal at $135. BQEYZ makes solid products, and the Spring 1 is their flagship. So I have no doubt it’s good.

Oct 20, 2019 at 11:33 PM Post #27,577 of 33,689
I have the Spring 1 bought myself based on comments in here.
Wasted my money (that's how this hobby goes...can't be helped)
Incoherent hybrid where bass is clearly detached from the rest of presentation.
Better than the BLON 03?? Different music prefs aside I find that hard to take serious.
Will do a review later but I hope it doesn't gain traction. Too much other stuff that are cheaper and sound better

Oct 20, 2019 at 11:49 PM Post #27,578 of 33,689
I have the Spring 1 bought myself based on comments in here.
Wasted my money (that's how this hobby goes...can't be helped)
Incoherent hybrid where bass is clearly detached from the rest of presentation.
Better than the BLON 03?? Different music prefs aside I find that hard to take serious.
Will do a review later but I hope it doesn't gain traction. Too much other stuff that are cheaper and sound better

I have the BLON as well, it's pretty good, yes it has better coherence and good tonality and signature but I don't find the bass that much better than the Spring 1, just different. I like that I can drive the Spring 1 harder when needed, I can't with the BLON it comes undone. Still haven't found the magical tip combination either, all of my usual go-to's slip off and get stuck in my ear when I remove them, and some of the tips were ones recommended by other users. I think it is hard for any hybrid that has a dynamic driver in the housing and a BA in the nozzle to be coherent, but a tradeoff. The DMG bass was way worse than the Spring 1, I just wish the Spring 1 had more subbass and less midbass, the boost was centered in my non-prerferred spot.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2019 at 11:57 PM Post #27,579 of 33,689
The spring 1 requires lots of burn in, something HBB doesn't believe in....

It's an interesting pair. Good, not great.

Honestly I'd take the bqeyz bq3 over it....

I think the problem is that it needs a couple more BAs and better tuning of the dynamic.

Oct 21, 2019 at 12:13 AM Post #27,580 of 33,689

I think the problem is that it needs a couple more BAs and better tuning of the dynamic.

I don't own the BQ3, but I was sort of hoping the Spring 1 had the BQ3 bass type that I had read about. That is my my one nitpick about it.

Oct 21, 2019 at 12:24 AM Post #27,581 of 33,689

Yup. This is such a public but personal hobby if you know what I mean?

My opinion is no more valid than anyone else's and visa versa. I stopped doing negative IEM reviews about 8 months ago iirc? I might say pass or something rarely but have not expressed my negative feeling towards over 1/2 of what i bought or was sent. I have most of what is mentioned in the threads but if I have nothing constructive to add I should shut my face. I stuck my head in on this one cuz it was a few days a go i decided to just move along. I also think the Sony flagship IEM has the same issue and I am a stone cold fanboy. The M9 is actually the one they nailed IMO.

Oct 21, 2019 at 12:35 AM Post #27,582 of 33,689

My opinion is no more valid than anyone else's and visa versa. I stopped doing negative IEM reviews about 8 months ago iirc? I might say pass or something rarely but have not expressed my negative feeling towards over 1/2 of what i bought or was sent. I have most of what is mentioned in the threads but if I have nothing constructive to add I should shut my face. I stuck my head in on this one cuz it was a few days a go i decided to just move along. I also think the Sony flagship IEM has the same issue and I am a stone cold fanboy. The M9 is actually the one they nailed IMO.

Damn straight. I like niche pairs myself, this is definitely one of those. It sounds fine but feels like a prototype that maybe should've been tweaked before releasing. But it is way better sounding than anything I heard on or in my head until the year 2005.... We're just so spoiled with good stuff now that we can nitpick it all to death. The parity between gear is kind of nuts...

One word of advice with the spring 1. Turn it up really really loud. The dampening they used makes it eat up power without murdering your ears. Very strange... But sounds better at very high volume. That might not be the best selling point for an IEM, that you need to listen to it at high enough volumes to damage you're hearing to make it sound it's best, but in this case I think it's true.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2019 at 12:45 AM Post #27,583 of 33,689

If you already found your endgame with t800 i think you wont need the spring 1, as the t800 maybe will surpass almost everything, except maybe smoothness or maybe timbre ( i never listen to t800 but from what i've read and by following audiosense thread)

Unless you are like me, want to keep the endgame safe for listening session at home, while using other iem on the go. If this the case, they are worth the price because just like blons that hold high value, this smooth gems also do.

About bass though, i already tell my honest impressions, but they got benefit from burn in process and become much better now, and try wide bore eartips (blon also better with wide bore for me for reducing mid bass bleed). The spring 1 mid bass actually after a brief listen, they are not bleeding, mids are very clear. Its the sub bass that too rolled off and not being bigger than the mid bass. So on tracks that have sub bass attacks with little mid / upper bass, they are sounds great and deep. But on tracks that attacking with sub bass and mid bass and upper bass at the same time, i heard mid bass more particularly on 80-120 hz before the subbass level reach my preference. This is the same case with previous bqeyz products with spring 1 is lower on quantity on both subbass and mid bass although they already have better subbass quality and quantity.

Oct 21, 2019 at 12:48 AM Post #27,584 of 33,689

Nice! M7/M9 needs some more love. My endgame.

Love your recent reviews especially with comparison table chart etc. Love aerosmith's no more no more too!

Oct 21, 2019 at 1:08 AM Post #27,585 of 33,689
Damn straight. I like niche pairs myself, this is definitely one of those. It sounds fine but feels like a prototype that maybe should've been tweaked before releasing.

One word of advice with the spring 1. Turn it up really really loud. The dampening they used makes it eat up power without murdering your ears. Very strange... But sounds better at very high volume.

I want to emphasize this also, not so many IEMs can be listened on high volume as certain frequency will kill your ears first, with those harmans referenced iem, 3 khz will smack your ear down first before you can hear other frequencies loud.

Sony ier m7, blon bl03, bqeyz spring 1, sony ex600 are those from little group that so balance that can be heard on loud volume, and on high volume you can hear the details from every frequency ranges.
And actually i think they were tuned this way, thats why i like them, just at my preference volume level

Users who are viewing this thread

Back